Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Alternative to taxes
    #1617941 - 06/08/03 10:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Just wanted to know what you guys think of this idea. What if the government produced some product and sold it to the general population, then used the revenues to fund things like welfare, social security, etc. Would you feel better then, since they wouldn't be "stealing" from you?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: silversoul7]
    #1617964 - 06/08/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not within the bounds of the constitution.

Plus the government would need to use our money, since every penny it has is ours, to fund such a project.

You want to help freeloaders? Take one home and let them live with you on YOUR money.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1617972 - 06/08/03 11:08 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I know it's hardly likely to happen (in the US anyway), but Cannabis is a huge cash crop, I can't think of anything better that's cheaper or easier to produce.  :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1617973 - 06/08/03 11:08 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

they should just drop ss and cut welfare

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1617981 - 06/08/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have helped freeloaders.  Some of my best friends have been freeloaders.  :tongue:  Poor people who actually need welfare to help them get back on their feet are another matter.

--------------------

Edited by silversoul7 (06/08/03 11:32 AM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1617985 - 06/08/03 11:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, that is the best option I've ever heard, why the hell aren't you a politician, I mean some one with a mind for policy change surely should be in charge.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1618039 - 06/08/03 11:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poor people who actually need welfare to help them get back on their feet are another matter.

So take those freeloaders home.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1618059 - 06/08/03 12:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Poor people who actually need welfare to help them get back on their feet are another matter.

So take those freeloaders home.

My parents might object...

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1618065 - 06/08/03 12:15 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I havn't a problem with welfare for people who're getting back on their feet but there's ppl I know that live off it and have been living off it for a couple years. To me that's bullshit.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1618075 - 06/08/03 12:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I havn't a problem with welfare for people who're getting back on their feet but there's ppl I know that live off it and have been living off it for a couple years. To me that's bullshit.

I agree. There should be some sort of time limit for that shit.

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1618078 - 06/08/03 12:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I thought there was a time limit to it. But these ppl keep gettin their check

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
    #1618205 - 06/08/03 01:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Try this one on for size. There are shit loads of menial jobs around the country that need doing, people just feel that such work is beneath them. Things like cleaning up roadsides, planting trees and grass, and other athstetic (sp?) chores. Why not take all those welfare people and give them those jobs in return for the check they want? If they cry about not having enough money to pay for child care, why that's another job that needs doing. Have a woman of fairly good repute who is also on welfare to take care of the kids and let the rest work to earn their checks. Wouldn't feel so bad about it then, it'd stop being welfare and a communally supported job program.

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1618304 - 06/08/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'd favor that, but then there'd be some asshole attourney saying "well she needs off of work to care for her son(s).

But I'd favor it

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

OfflineSolo
enthusiast
    #1618493 - 06/08/03 04:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Just wanted to know what you guys think of this idea. What if the government produced some product and sold it to the general population, then used the revenues to fund things like welfare, social security, etc. Would you feel better then, since they wouldn't be "stealing" from you?

My objection to the social service system (welfare, social security) is not that they are funded by my tax money. It is that it keeps people down. Entitlement programs create attitudes of entitlement. It fosters ill feelings towards those it is supposed to 'help'.

Give a man a fish..feed him for a day

Teach a man to fish...feed him for a lifetime

If someone has been in the free fish a day line for 5 years and you point out the learn to fish line...some may go..but many more will not so long as they know the free fish line will still be there.

A couple hundred years ago if someone wanted a meal from a soup kitchen they had to chop wood for both themselves and a widow. Now people in soup kitchen lines gripe that the food they are getting is not up to the quality that they expect to be given for free. They don't even have to take turns washing the dishes or anything. This hurts those that it is supposted to be helping.

People deserve the dignity of work.

Very, very few people out of the millions and millions that get free handouts from tax dollars are incapable of participating in earning their keep.

How many months would you let a person stay with you for free without requiring that they clean up after themselves, not come home drunk every night, look for a job, whatever? The current system allows people to do this for their entire lifetime.

That is harmful (and wasteful). Not helpful.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1618623 - 06/08/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"I agree. There should be some sort of time limit for that shit. "

I don't know where you live, but most places do have a time limit for welfare.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #1620026 - 06/09/03 05:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

YOUR money.

well corporations are the biggest freeloadersof them all!

And the rich people that dont take risks* and do currency specualtion are holding the rest of us back along with a over priced managerial class in both public AND private corporations.

*=currency speculation is holding down the rest of the economy and when taken out of the way welfare "freeloaders" wont be such a hot button issue as the real "freeloaders" will be gone , there is nothing capitalistic about taking over public services or currency speculation , these are low risks in comparison to other things and these rich fuckers put out propaganda saying welfare is the problem, currency speculation has very harsh effects

NO RICH PEOPLE ......now adays talk of adam smith because they are NOTHING like him!

--------------------

Anonymous

#1620324 - 06/09/03 11:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this thread might be a lot better if it got itself back on topic.

i don't think that there is any way, aside from taxes (and fines), for the government to generate revenue (aside from running businesses, which is something that they should not, in my opinion, be doing).

OfflineShroomFarmer
Level 0 zilch

Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: ]
    #1621823 - 06/09/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What's funny about democrates/liberals is that they are actually holding down the people that they claim to help. How long have they been saying that they will give blacks this and that? As long as I can remember and it's still the same. They like to use divide and conquer tactics in politics. They break people into groups, take from one, give to another. You're either this or this and if you don't agree with it they label you closed minded, racist, ect. How about thier latest scam of "there's no tax breaks for the poor". The poor don't pay taxes to begin with!!!!!! Anyway back on track, I think there is no and should be no alternatives to taxes, but there should be for what it's used for. Taxes should only be used for things we all benefit from. Don't take my money and give it for research on the social interactions between homosexuals and their pets. How about a nice smooth road for a change? Social welfare programs/entitlements should be cut back to make them unattractive. Sure some people fall through, but it should make them want to go back to work. Social Security should be phased out and implement a manditory retirement savings. You still have to have it taken out of your check, but 100% of the money is yours. Anyway this is getting too long. The more taxes your gov't puts on you, the more control they have over you.

--------------------
crinkle crinkle

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Alternative to taxes [Re: ShroomFarmer]
    #1621830 - 06/09/03 09:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

All very true of course.

However, we need to maintain funding for the study of the mating life of geckos!
:grin:

--------------------

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
    #1622190 - 06/09/03 10:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I love how the Dems claim to be for the "poor" and that the GOP is for the "Rich".  Wouldn't that make every Democratic politician a Republican???  Last I checked the Kennedy's weren't poor.  They do love to jack our taxes so they can scrape a HUGE portion off the top before giving the 1 or 2 pennies per dollar to the poor though.  :smile:  Give me a big hell yeah to flat line taxing...

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion