Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemoeSIZZLAK
Stranger
Easy carefree air exchange
    #1456640 - 04/14/03 10:50 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have been a silent observer on these pages for quite some time, but I recently discovered a pretty effortless way to automate air exchange in the terrarium. To do it you need:

2 12 volt computer fans
1 AC to 12 volt DC adapter
1 tube of silicone sealant
2 filter disks (same ones that you use for jars in grain casings)
Few rubber bands
1 AC digital timer

What I first did is measure the diameter of the circular portion of the computer fan. Next, I used a magic marker to draw two circles of that size on both ends of my clear rubbermaid container (terrarium). Then I used a dremel tool to carefully carve those circles out. Next, I fitted the fans over the two circular holes, keeping in mind that one fan must be set up to blow air into the terrarium, while the other goes on the other way to suck air out. I screwed these fans on over their respective holes and sealed the sides of the fan box with silicone sealant. Finally, I used tight fitting rubber bands to secure those filter disks to the outside surface of the fans.

To wire the fans to work, you don't need to go through the hassle of taking a spare computer power supply box to power them. Just go to radioshack and buy a AC to 12 volt DC power supply (assuming that the two fans are both 12volt....if they are both 9 volt, then buy a 9volt). The important thing to remember is that if you want to synchronize the two fans, you must add up the miliamps of both fans and purchase a power supply that can handle that many miliamps. You can get these power supplies at Radioshack for about $20. You can also buy computer fans there as well. Take the power supply and use a wire snipper to cut off the round end that would normally be inserted into the side of a portable cd player. Snip the ends off of the fans too. Then strip about a centimeter off of all of the wires, figure out which of the wires on the power supply is positive and which is negative and twist the positive cord together with the red wires of both of the fans and use electrical tape and/or sodder the wires together. Do the same with the power supply's negative and both of the fans' black wires.

It's that simple. If you plug it in, it should power both the fans. I also use a digital timer that I plug the power supply into and it automatically exchanges air for 15 minutes 6 times a day. In addition to this, I also mounted a small flurescent light at the top of my terrarium that also runs on a timer. I wish I had a digital camera so that I could show you pictures of what I've done.

Anyone exerienced enough in growing knows that clean air exchange is paramount to nice mushies. In the past, I was always too busy to fan my terrarium two or three times a day, and as a result, my shroomies suffered. I would only get one good flush before the casing would quit. But by using this fan setup and perlite to add humidity, I have been gettting better crops that are no longer hollow in the middle. I think that the fans can also be used to control internal humidity, as the air that enters the chamber from the outside is dryer than the inside air.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Easy carefree air exchange [Re: moeSIZZLAK]
    #1456685 - 04/14/03 11:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a really really cool idea! I'm pretty interested in this... does the humidity drop that much from the air?

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflinemoeSIZZLAK
Stranger
Re: Easy carefree air exchange [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1456692 - 04/14/03 11:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yes. I had to turn the timer down to 15 minute intervals. I had it at 1 hour intervals but it dried out the perlite in about 5 days!

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: Easy carefree air exchange [Re: moeSIZZLAK]
    #1456733 - 04/14/03 11:56 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Great post! 5 shrooms for you!

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation