Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: Cakes are easy... [PICS] [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #839093 - 08/23/02 06:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

cool

--------------------
Be Here Now

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #839734 - 08/24/02 03:48 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

It's funny, how you get a bunch of flack from breaking with convention. I will be fanning a lot less thanks! I have never posted this but I do not use perlite for moisture I use standing water. I have heard all the stuff about it causing contams but what I do is mix 1 ml. of bleach to the water. It keeps the humidity level up and requires very little else. I have been growing for many months and I have never had any contams in the tank with the standing water. The bleach makes it no different than pool water.

Ripple

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #839763 - 08/24/02 04:07 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

I would guess that this person would dunk only if it is 100% necessary and would avoid it if possible.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Cakes are easy... [PICS] [Re: Hippie3]
    #839844 - 08/24/02 05:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

how many % water are shrooms again? about 90%???
where does that water come from; the cakes; not necessarily the humid air.
each flush you pulll say; 35 grams off of your cake; about 30 grams of water is extracted from each cake. now after 4 flushes youve pulled a total of 120grams (1/4 pound) off of each cake. did your cake weigh 1/4lb when you started? probably not.
point being is that without a water source your cakes stop producing due to lack of water; not nutrients. this is one reason why cakes can be re-used in casings effectively because youre adding more water (either in the casing or spawn).
the night before you birth a cake; scrape teh verm off the top of your jar and add tap water till its full. recap the jar and cold shock in the fridge overnight then birth the next morning. try a control batch and a experimental batch with the same strains side by side; you wont be disappointed when you see 40+ gram flushes repeat themselves well over 4 times. just make sure you dunk and cold shock between every flush to do it right; just replace cakes in jars (you will; see how much water it has lost after only 1 flush; it will be a good 1/8" to 1/4" smaller diameter than the jar).
*EDIT*
at first i just skimmed this post and added a few facts. now that i read the flaming i would like to comment again.
In Reply To:
You don't think removing the lid and spraying exchanges air? I was trying to explain that traditional fanning was not necessary in this situation and that the air exchange resulting from the spraying (1-2 time a week) was more than adequate.
i understand that youve been cultivating longer than i; ive only been at it for 2 years now but given the laws of physics and airflow mist dropping into your terrarium will not purge the heavier CO2 out of the bottom of teh terrarium; but just opening the top and the movement around teh opening will exchange some air. with the increased CO2 levels the shrooms will just try to grow taller to reach what O2 is available. ive seen casings grow without attention other than harvesting flushes and that was in a rubbermaid container with a closed lid; unsealed (no weatherstripping or sealant used).
point is that fanning is OPTIMAL; not necessary.
In Relpy To:
Thanks for the profound observation... Do you reply just to get your post count up? LOL
are you not a moderator? i understand that this may have been said in jest but with your COMBINED efforts it snowballed into the childish spiel that preceeds this. i also understand that i cant directly change anything about your personality but i have been around here long enough to meet a lot of great cultivators and am thankful for it. i have been away for about 2 months and now see this new moderator already with 800 posts almost deliberately creating turbulence. shroomery can appoint who they want; and i will support it and the moderators until its demise but being considerate seems like a prerequisite for having an authority position such as yours. i would be grateful for what youve accomplished on this site thus far; especially in such a short stay here- and try to be as helpful as possible.
peace.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Edited by BeppoMarx (08/24/02 05:29 AM)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Cakes are easy... [PICS] [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #840269 - 08/24/02 09:38 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

how many % water are shrooms again? about 90%???
where does that water come from; the cakes; not necessarily the humid air.

Yes and I found that a dunk was not necessary for a good first flush. If I don't have to waste my time dunking, I will avoid it. It's that simple. Also, I view cakes as ancillary amusement. I don't put much effort into them.
In reply to:

i understand that youve been cultivating longer than i; ive only been at it for 2 years now but given the laws of physics and airflow mist dropping into your terrarium will not purge the heavier CO2 out of the bottom of teh terrarium

This is bullshit. Opening the top, and heavily misting the bottom will purge CO2.
In reply to:

are you not a moderator? i understand that this may have been said in jest but with your COMBINED efforts it snowballed into the childish spiel that preceeds this.

I wasn't a moderator then and you didn't read the PM's I was receiving. Don't be so quick to judge. You're no better than anyone else..

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#840299 - 08/24/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

lol
you?re quite a case, mickey.
pretty surly, too.
hope they don?t leave you as mod for long.
you quite obviously don?t know much about
how to handle people or cakes.
nor proper air exchanges either.
be careful about trying to bullshit
folks around here,
most of us have been here alot longer
and know better than to believe bullshit.
dunking is no waste of time,
it dramatically boosts yields and that
is a well-documented fact.
and i daresay no one really cares
what you think about cakes either,
people were growing bountiful harvests
on cakes long before you got here,
and still will long after you are gone.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemushroombadness
Learning Fast
    #840310 - 08/24/02 10:08 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I recently started dunking and I can see a tremendous difference in the size and numbers of fruits that appear. Also, the dunked cakes appear to put off more humidity in the terrarium which seems like it's benefitting the surrounding cakes.

I give dunking a big thumbs up.

--------------------
~Out

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Hippie3]
    #840317 - 08/24/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Edited by Macey Howard (08/24/02 02:19 PM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: Cakes are easy... [PICS] [Re: Macey Howard]
    #841650 - 08/25/02 02:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

what goes around,
comes around.
respect is a two-way street.
and moe, if you take the time to read this thread,
you'll see this newbie moderator mickey was being rude and
abusive to posters before i ever jumped in,
not to mention talking crap about how misting
causes air exchanges,.
is that how it's going to be around here ?
now this jerk mickey is sending me private messages
talking shit, trying to tell me what to do,
f#ck that, and f@ck him.
you should know me by now,
i've paid my dues many times over .
and contributed alot,
including the dunk tek he was knocking.
i behave just fine until i see some rude bastid talking shit,
then i do stand up and speak out.
that's just me.
ask anyone.
but the shroomery is supposed to be about accurate information, and community.
if you care about that at all,
then you need to set mickey straight fast.
now i'm done.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Cakes are easy... [PICS] [Re: Hippie3]
    #841860 - 08/25/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hippie, if you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem. Your posts are nothing more than inflammatory rhetoric filled with spite and anger. I'm closing this thread. There is nothing useful that could be added to it.

Regards

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom