Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineriverpirate
Stranger
Light after innocculation?
    #14440335 - 05/12/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Have been doing a lot of reading in the past week here. Just wondering when to start applying the light cycles. I have BRF jars innocculated and have read to keep it in the dark until I put it in the FC. But have also heard it mentioned that indirect sunlight will help with colonization.
Whats the consensus on here?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOneU
Re: Light after innocculation? [Re: riverpirate]
    #14440430 - 05/12/11 02:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You don't need to put them in the dark. Normal room lighting is fine but when it gets colonized I had mine in the light and they pinned pretty early in vitro so I would say once it colonizes (80 ish) put them in a darkER place, not a dark box. Indirect sunlight is ime indifferent during colonization but I would just use the normal CFL lighting at 6500k. Direct sunlight has been said to be very good when they are in the fruiting chamber for about 5-8 minutes a day to initiate pinning, haven't got around to trying it yet but RR did say it.

When they are done and consolidated, dunk/roll then put them in the FC and start your cycle. You don't have to do 12/12 immediately if, say, you finish dunking at 5PM because that's just inconvenient. Start them on the schedule you want them to be in and remember to give them plenty of fresh air exchange with misting as well.

Something I recently found to be extremely useful from RR's posts is to put some vermiculite on top of the cakes (1-2 inches) and get that wet and they feed off of that water as well. Allows for thicker and healthier mushrooms.

Good luck on your sacred grow brother of the cosmos!

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light after innocculation? [Re: OneU]
    #14440453 - 05/12/11 02:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You want indirect natural light or 6500K bulb lighting. Light during all stages of colonization is a good thing for myc.

OneU - your jars started pinning because they were ready to go. Not because of sunlight hitting the jars. The number one pinning trigger is evaporating water from the substrate, which is probably what happened in your jar due to the cake pulling away from the side of the jar. I've had fully colonized grain jars sit for 2 weeks w/out pins...

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Offlineriverpirate
Stranger
Re: Light after innocculation? [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #14440485 - 05/12/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Perfect. These jars are going on my kitchen shelf to get some indirect sunlight. Thanks for the prompt replies!

Just shopping around online now for a pressure cooker to get doing some G2G. Just like every other project I try, go big or go home.

OfflineOneU
    #14440489 - 05/12/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I understand what you are saying but I have the same MS spore jars sitting in darkness and not pinning, RR said himself that light is a secondary pinning trigger. I was speaking from posts like this but your experience far outweighs mine:

Quote:

Citric said:
Colonized them in open light I assume?

No idea why people are still doing this.  Since I have been back to the forums I notice all new growers doing this, and also notice tons and tons more invitro pinning.

Just because invitro pin happens does not mean the uncolonized portions are contaminated.  Correct me if you think I am wrong, but colonizing jars on a open shelf introduces them to light from day one(A pinning trigger).  Also around this time of year most of us are using fans in our houses.  So not only light, but there is barely any build up of co2 in the jars due to constant fresh air flying around/over the jars.

Back when I was very active here(Around 06 or so), when everyone incubated their jars or at least colonized them in the dark, you would see invitro pinning happening a few times a month at most.  Now I see a post almost every single day.

Just because big commercial spawn labs do it does not mean it works best for us at home.  Those spawn labs are using bags which increase the heat a lot more then a jar(Increased colonization speed).  Secondly they are usually using some sort of whole grain, in which you can shake/mix the bag up to speed colonization.

If you don't want to incubate your jars in heat(Which I have no idea why you wouldn't), at the very least throw them in a rubbermaid tub.

Edit: While invitro pinning isn't detrimental to the grow, it is annoying as hell to deal with.  Having to lose substrate(Specially from a cake, it is small enough as is) is not fun and a waste of work.

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light after innocculation? [Re: OneU]
    #14440532 - 05/12/11 02:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just don't feel that exposing a jar to indirect sun light/desk lamp will cause that.

Notice that Critic says he has fans going, etc...That's causing more AE in the jars than they normally should get. I probably don't get invitro pins due to my lid construction. Wafting air over a substrate causes water to evaporate from said substrate, thus causes pins. Light is a crucial part of myc growth @ all stages.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

InvisibleBoozie
I like beer.
 User Gallery

Loc: :ↄo⅃
    #14440600 - 05/12/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Also notice what 13shrooms said directly after that post by Citric:

Quote:

light by itself is NOT a pinning trigger UNLESS you have full colonization and fresh air getting into the jars.  that jar pinned cuz it thought it was done colonizing. 

I and other TCs leave our jars in a light cycle for circadian rythmicity and Ive never had any prob with in-vitro pinning.

its all about timing and knowing when to trigger the myc into its natural phases.

That's why light is considered a secondary pinning trigger.

--------------------
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

OfflineOneU
Re: Light after innocculation? [Re: Boozie]
    #14440898 - 05/12/11 04:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That makes total sense.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds