Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Test Jar Invitro
    #17393445 -


Introduction
This project is aimed at finding a way to make shrooms grow from 1/2 pint jars with little to no effort, and a very small amount of substrate, only about 1/2 to 1 inch worth.  This project started from leftovers, and turned into a minimalist project. The strain of genetics comes from Peru and is supposed to be a natural poop lover.

Objectives
Observe the first round of jars and their reactions to my first methods of environment control.  A major hurdle will be maintaining humidity, which is the main variable I seek to observe.

Procedure
1. Prepare substrate
-Pasteurize it with steam
--40% equine manure, 40% coco coir, 20% vermiculite and a handful of coffee grounds, pure garden gypsum, and blood meal.
2. Put substrate into jars
-I did this in a non-sterile environment, simply scooping the sub into the jars and eyeballing the levels.
3. Inoculate the jars
-I used a WBS jar fully colonized to scoop LITERALLY 5-10 seeds into each jar. These were the seeds left in the jars which were not shaken out.  Each jar had probably only 5 seeds worth.
4. Incubate the jars
-I added 1-3 CC of pan-distilled-water from boil-cleaned syringes, no contamination resulted from this.  This was to add moisture which I felt it lacked through observation.  The sub had sat for two weeks since it had been pasteurized and I thought it needed it. I've noticed that the jar with 1cc did poorly and is the 50% colonized jar, 2ccs did well enough to fully colonize yet looks weak, and 3ccs seems like it was enough extra water to really make it thrive.
-I stored the jars near partly over a radiator, in a shoe box, with no light.  I hear much of conflict over light during spawn, so I go with what I could guarantee works (not optimized), and left the light variable set to zero.
-I later moved them away from the radiator to a shelf in my room with FULL light.  There was no purpose to this, I just had to move things around.  The colonization proceeded as planned. Will this have a negative effect on the pinning because I reduced temperature without adding FAE? I don't know.  Seems as though the light in incubation made no difference.

Fruit the jars.
*2 jars are 100% and have been for 2 days.  1 other jar is about 60%, inner-colonized well, and I believe lack of moisture is to blame.  I'm going to fruit it at the same time for educational purposes. 

1. Spritz and fan.  I bought a $1.75 travel sprayer for hair spray, cleaned it out well, and use it as my water sprayer.  It's a pretty fine mist, but I can't measure it or compare it to an atomizer.  I reiterate it's PRETTY damn fine, way more fine than a windex bottle's spray.
-I popped the tops off, and turned the flat lid upside down with rubber facing up.  I believe this encourages air flow.  My lids only have ONE hole in them, so I believe this is a staple.
-I do NOT tighten the round parts of the lids, I just twist them on and waited till they got tight, and then untightened them a smidgeon so that they are LOOSE.
-I sprayed the mist from about 5 inches away from the tops of the jars.
-I sprayed until I saw very very small beads of water could be seen forming
-I will change this method henceforth to FAN FIRST, followed by spraying AND fanning, followed by yet another spray, followed by me closing the jar.
-After I sprayed I fanned well, for 30 sec to a minute
-After I fanned, I misted again and quickly closed the lids to retain its moisture.


This is a work in progress.

THOUGHTS/CONCERNS

=If this method DOES work, I will try again, spraying less often, if at all. 
=If this method does NOT work, I will try again, and probably try to add another hole or two to the tops with a 1/8th inch drill bit and polyfill to add more fresh air exchange while hitting the sweet spot for for humidity. 
=CO2 is not a concern right now because of the fanning strategy, and if this works and I go ahead, I will try to solve the CO2 problem without turning the jars upside down. 
=Perhaps some kind of straw contraption can be made to force air flow out of the lid from a level very close to the substrate to remove CO2. 
=I would fashion an air bladder to the lid to agitate the air in and out.  Perhaps it would be attached to the "straw" to somehow allow me to pump surface-level air out, and force fresh air in through a filtered hole.  The more I write about this, the more it's growing on me, clearly more thought needs to go into this, although I think it may be my answer (just upon writing this).

Edited by Tbird (12/15/12 09:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17398551 -

Day 2
15th

the jars seem to be lively.  I couldn't see very many signs of high humidity inside, although upon opening them and sniffing, they seem humid and healthy (avoiding breathing into them).  I'm contemplating whether or not to use a 2gallon ziplock for a humidity dome, because I'd like to perfect the humidity sooner than later.  However, I'm deciding not to because I want to get these jars to work a la solo.  I'm resolving to tighten the lids all the way instead.  I'll have the rubber sides down as they are intended to be, and I'll observe relative humidity again tomorrow. I've been fanning 4x a day, with a spritzing before and after the fanning.  The purpose of this is to slightly saturate the top layer of myc, force evaporation, and then re-saturate it a little bit after to let it evaporate slowly during the time between fannings.

Thoughts/concerns

CLosing the lids will reduce the FAE, perhaps to a bad level of stillness.  I think that it may cause fuzzy feet or yellowing during fruiting with its only 1 filtered hole.  We will see.  I want to see if it's enough to start pinning, then we will have the chance to tell if that'll happen.  I think that fanning enough will accomplish this, but any amount of time choking on CO2 is tough for the mycilium so perhaps I will have to drill another hole(s) and fill them for enough up-right airflow.  I know that the other main jar teks have the jars upside down, and I know that it's to stop this problem exactly.  I want to figure out how to do it right side up and have it acceptable.  I haven't given any more thought to a one-way-pump forced induction system i might be able to incorporate into a tiny metal lid, though I haven't taken a trip to any store to see what sort of pieces I can find yet.


Edited by Tbird (12/15/12 09:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17398711 -

You're spawning a small amount of colonized grain to a small amount of bulk sub in a jar?

If you're not going to fruit them in a fruiting chamber I would add some kind of casing layer on top. Then you should be able fruit them without using a lid so you get more FAE without compromising your humidity so much, as long as you keep the casing layer from drying out.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Kizzle]
    #17398796 -

good advice, I'm inexperienced with casings especially as of right now.  Maybe I'll just give it a ~1cm layer of pure vermiculite?  I've seen people use berry seeds and things, but I don't know why - is it for their nutrients?  I thought seeds were all about the carbohydrates they naturally had, does that help in a special way as a part of a casing layer? Do nutrients added in a casing layer help?  How?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17398859 -

A casing layer shouldn't be made of anything nutrious and should only be allowed to partially colonize. Straight vermiculite would be better than nothing.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Kizzle]
    #17402891 -

Day 3
16

Since yesterday I decided to close the lids, the mycillium seems to be strengthening, perhaps because it's been introduced to colonizing conditions again (with light).  Today I was away at work all day and could only fan ONCE (as i got home, i forgot in the morning).  By strengthening, I mean that I noticed the fuzz was more pronounced and seems like that's where its energy is going.  The low colonization jar seems to have picked up the pace with the renewal (it had low RE to start with as a test, you can see how these jars were started at the same time and the best one had the most water).

I'll keep the lids on tight, fanning periodically, as close to 6 times a day as I can manage to.  I'd love to expand this to a humidity chamber but I'm vehement on sticking to A JAR.  I think that fruiting this jar may prove to be a bit of a task since I'm trying to neglect it and not neglect it at the same time.  I am thinking that a verm casing will be my next step in about a day or two if this fanning regiment doesn't start the primordia.  Even then I will probably leave the lid on loosely again? We'll see.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17405212 -

maybe a small tub perlite 2 holes and a small fan 24/7 maybe another option to make it as
maintenance free as possible


--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY IS A LIE!!! N ALL MY PICS R STOLEN
WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!watch it pay for it self in # of high yield flushes!
SO DOPE
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. "  Albert.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: smegzilla69]
    #17406457 -

no tubs allowed in this project

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17406596 -

Day 4
17th

I screwed up last night and fell asleep before I put the caps back on.  This means my project is now totally off the scientific rails, and I'm going to change things up.  I've thrown verm into sandwich bags, and placed the jars, open, into them.  The bags have ~1.5cm open space at the top to allow for air flow.  This will suffice as my rag tag emergency humidity chamber while I encourage them to experience evaporation by fanning and misting.

Edited by Tbird (12/17/12 12:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17417510 -




I have made baggies with vermiculite to act as humidity domes.  The baggies were about 1/3 unzipped, and I've started to notice a small amount of metabolites (yellowing) forming. I zipped the bag shut today because I don't want it to yellow however upon re evaluating I think that was a pointless move.  I believe the yellowing is truly from spraying directly onto the mycilium.  I must find a better way to do this, so I think I'll spray indirectly, across the top, and fan it in while I'm spraying.  Or, allow the mist to fall.  The jars are lookin good otherwise.  These ziplocks will probably be the key.  Next time, I may just opt for a sprinkling of verm into the top as a small casing, so as to maintain humidity better at the important area.  For now, dome humidity regulation will have to suffice.  It's beyond the jar and I've failed my objective, but it's easy enough for me to not care so I'm still on objective as far as I'm concerned.  I'd like to case next time to test the invitro casing theory here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17417589 -

Youre on to something here. I had a friend that used large mason jars as the fruiting chambers, and it seemed to work out for him awesome. Dont ask me how he kept FAE, cus idk, I just saw the full grown shrooms in the mason jars. it was sick
He used tinfoil with poked holes as the lid of the jars

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Pirax]
    #17418482 -

Ahh I see, you do have a clue as to how he regulated FAE then.  The holes in the tinfoil were for proper regulation, more holes or less holes basically.  As for if he fanned it or how often he did? temps? the inbetween? we may not know, but I saw something like what you described and I want to do it just like that, except smaller :smile:  Thanks for the tip, knowing somebody did it successfully with just tinfoil is good news, i may incorporate it on round 2.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17423270 -

Day 7

i expected to see pinheads today, but apparently a younger brother in law of mine decided this project was NOT to be, and scrapped my little project.  I will follow up with a NEW project, one day...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17423850 -

2.0 comes tonight i decided.  1qt jars this time with a verm casing!


Edited by Tbird (12/20/12 07:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: Tbird]
    #17425282 -

u ever wanna strangle a little asian?


--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY IS A LIE!!! N ALL MY PICS R STOLEN
WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!watch it pay for it self in # of high yield flushes!
SO DOPE
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. "  Albert.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Test Jar Invitro [Re: smegzilla69]
    #17448818 -

how goes it i just innoced my invitro jars today
like 35-45% a 1 qt jar


--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY IS A LIE!!! N ALL MY PICS R STOLEN
WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!watch it pay for it self in # of high yield flushes!
SO DOPE
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. "  Albert.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: Pic- What is this, Invitro maybe. PappaKaps 1,073 7 04/29/00 07:25 PM
by PappaKaps
* Invitro?? DrJoseph 1,876 10 11/25/01 05:20 AM
by Hippie3
* Problem Growing Invitro DaGeniusE 1,222 3 07/07/02 03:50 AM
by CHeeCHer
* Lost 12 jars today... phrozendata 1,660 12 09/23/01 06:45 PM
by baraka
* how long before sterilized jar spoils? maxlongstarr 3,722 7 04/02/02 09:39 AM
by Seuss
* Post deleted by Moe Howard therewatchingme 1,155 8 07/28/02 12:41 PM
by TM
* Invitro Bulk Tek Version 1.2 ShroomZilla007 20,272 12 05/15/23 04:54 AM
by Stromrider
* Gulf Coast Invitro... Shiznitz 2,617 9 08/14/01 11:48 PM
by psilocybinjunkie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,621 topic views. 20 members, 101 guests and 264 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.