Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: IslandShroomer]
    #13740271 -

Quote:
I want it to be more idea, problem solving, logic, etc. Rather than a shitload of math..



Math can be pretty much summed up as problem solving and logic. If you REALLY want to study science, it would behoove you to improve your math skills. Just have to put some effort into it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: JT]
    #13740305 -

JT said:
even my psychology degree requires a shitload of statistics if you want to get anywhere with it.

the only "science" degree i can think of that doesn't have much math is nursing. all the hard sciences require math. it's only when you get into a specialized subfield like nursing that you can get some of the science and none of the math...but that doesn't do you much good.



This.  Yea, the one branch of math that I always use is statistics.  That is the singly most important math field one should know well in order to work in science or engineering.  You are no longer a newbie engineer the day that you learn that statistics are the key to getting things right when you're thinking is clouded by uncertainty.  An engineer or scientist who doesn't use statistics as one of the main tools in his toolbox is a hack.


--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13740314 -

Behavioral pharmacology.

Run rats through mazes, have them press bars and do odd tasks.

You'll usually only do two drug designs so you'll need an ANOVA or two.

Plenty of friends studied cellular bio, anatmoy, neuroscience, microbiology, and biochem and needed no more than basic stats.  This is because in "real life", when you get something complex, it gets sent to a statistician.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: badchad]
    #13740840 -

It turns out the example I had of physics/science, was theoretical physics.. So that's why I was immediately intimidated by the huge presence math had :lol:

The reason I don't want math being a huge part of what I do, is because I want to have some level of creativity to do with my job, and not just statistics and numbers. I'll give math another chance, because I haven't since I left High school, either way, I'll need more than basic Algebra in almost any field. Thanks for all the input


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13740868 -

Not to beat a dead horse,

Quote:
The reason I don't want math being a huge part of what I do, is because I want to have some level of creativity to do with my job, and not just statistics and numbers.



But what you need to understand is that math is a creative endeavor.


--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* physics help minusrestraint 1,730 14 01/30/03 06:31 AM
by Jackal
* Why don't we just rename OTD the "Shit Heap"
( 1 2 3 all )
boxtop703 13,391 53 05/07/18 09:20 AM
by Cannabischarlie
* Why don't you post in OTD? Senor_Doobie 3,811 15 02/12/03 06:53 AM
by Shroomism
* BONNAROO SOLD OUT AND DON'T HAVE SOMEONE TO GO WITH!! HELP. *DELETED* Cracka_X 2,244 13 03/01/17 05:01 PM
by Midnight_Toker
* How To Tell Off Friends Doing Coke and Molly? FeedingMyDreams 1,291 12 03/01/18 11:52 PM
by Great Scott
* Happy Acid Day
( 1 2 all )
Che_Night_Soil 3,718 22 04/18/03 11:02 AM
by Che_Night_Soil
* man - past, present, and future. popdewman 1,299 7 03/27/03 02:47 PM
by peruvian spark
* What will happen on December 21, 2012?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Brukan 18,124 111 05/22/19 08:07 AM
by Antigov

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,400 topic views. 5 members, 7 guests and 175 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.