Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13731962 -

Physics = :megacrankey:


--------------------
"There can be but little liberty on Earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13732491 -

Depends on your definition of 'much math'.  Many practicing scientists rarely need much more than basic calculus and statistics.  Of course physics requires more, its the most mathematical of all sciences.  A B.S. in physics will require the basic calculus sequence as well as some differential equations and linear algebra.

It seems odd that you would be so enthusiastic over science/physics but seem scared of the math.  Personally, I feel like I am comparatively poor at math but I still like learning it along with science/physics.  Math can be hard, but you can do alot of science with just the basics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: DieCommie]
    #13733691 -

Well thanks for trying to help even though I was kind of unclear about what it is I'm looking for, I at least have SOME understanding of what I could expect from such professions. Appreciate it :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13733700 -

Depends what "much math" means, nearly all science involves maths.

Just spewing shit off the top of my head from my studies with no thought...

Biology, molecular biology, cellular biology, zoology, mycology, ecology, geology, anatomy (definitely not physiology).

All chemistry requires significant maths, even organic, anything that crosses into biochemistry requires much more maths then molec/cell biology.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Epigallo]
    #13733907 -

bradley said:
Engineering Technology.





--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: mellowparty]
    #13734580 -

Watch Numb3rs. That got me inspired to do math. It's what I would do right before I really needed to study or something. Calculus is actually really interesting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: mellowparty]
    #13734626 -

mellowparty said:
bradley said:
Engineering Technology.







Lol, perfect.


--------------------

wat man rly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13734718 -

Quote:
Where Is Life said:I want it to be more idea, problem solving, logic, etc. Rather than a shitload of math..



This is a ridiculous statement, and I'll tell you why. 

You dislike math because it has been taught to you poorly: you believe that math is like a hand-cranked machine that you have to turn and turn to get "the right answer," and as a result you hate it.

Follow this desire of yours for problem solving and logic, and it'll lead you to what math really is, and that is beautiful art describing the true structure of the universe we live in.

I hated math until I got through Calc 3. And then I loved it.

EDIT: Physics without math?  An utter waste of fucking time. If you don't understand the math, you don't understand the subject, period.



--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Edited by Kid_Orgo (01/05/11 11:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: blujay]
    #13736892 -

blujay said:
mellowparty said:
bradley said:
Engineering Technology.







Lol, perfect.




What the hell do you guys think engineering technology is? It's basically just engineering stripped of the higher-level math classes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Epigallo]
    #13736901 -

Is that a very marketable degree?  Do you have a specialty with it, or is it general?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: DieCommie]
    #13736947 -

I just read about it in an engineering book I was reading. I can't say for sure that it is "marketable", but it did say that employers have statistically evaluated them as more competent in many types of engineering -- namely the hands-on type jobs. They would probably suck in something more R&D or something more theoretical though.

I think it has the same basic specialties as traditional engineering; electrical, mechanical, chemical, ...maybe civil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #13739714 -

Kid_Orgo said:
Follow this desire of yours for problem solving and logic, and it'll lead you to what math really is, and that is beautiful art describing the true structure of the universe we live in.




Maybe I'll come around once I start taking classes again, I'll definitely have to give math another chance in college, it'd be nice to try teaching myself too. Might make a thread asking about how some of you teach yourselves, I know someone already mentioned they did. If I don't come around to liking it maybe I could at least get to the point where I'm fine just working my way through it to get to a point where I don't need it so much anymore :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13739723 -

physics has more math then math class.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: collie man]
    #13739724 -

collie man said:
physics has more math then math class.



Alright, physics is out without a doubt then lol


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13739820 -

Take linear algebra or discrete math from a good professor, first thing you do. It'll open your mind. They don't depend on calculus, so you can take them right away.


--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #13739914 -

Linear algebra is boring. I got interested in maths after I understood derivatives and integration. That was the point at which it all started to make real sense.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13739951 -

Where Is Life said:
Well basically, I'm looking for a profession to do with the way things work (preferrably natural things/the world/etc.)

I just don't want most of my job to consist of math.. Rather than ideas/expirements/thinking



What's the problem with math in particular?  Would probably help to answer your question/find you something to look at you might enjoy.


Personally I also am not too into mathmatical stuff, and I'm pursuing a chemistry degree (bio chem concentration) and will complete a graduate degree as well in the field (barring surprises).

I would guess that my math knowledge/capability when I started that program was less than yours.  I had up to an algebra class in high school in tenth grade that I did poorly in, and that was my last math class.  I jumped into Calc I for 5 semester hours and couldn't even multiply fractions or do simple things like that- I had to do a lot of refreshing, but I did it and got an A through hard work at the begining and then just following along after the first few weeks.  I took Calc II over the summer which I recomend as it allows you to focus on one thing and get it over with quicker without distracting you during the semester 

For my chem undergrad degree, you only need ten hours of calculus, and it isn't bad.  Calc is different than the "math" I learned in high school, and I could get into it.  Not so much pointless excercises and so forth- you actually learn useful conceptual stuff :thumbup:

If you told me i would take ten hours of calculus some years ago, I would have been shocked.  Don't let your distaste for math scare you off from what could be classes you are ok with.

(traditional chemistry does have a fair bit of math though, but besides the calculus courses, most of it is applied stuff that just pops up in your chem courses- I don't have so much of that as I'm pursuing the biological chem side of things, but you still need the basic calculus and physical chemistry knowledge)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: Where Is Life]
    #13740020 -

I have been an RF design engineer for 15 years, it is just applied physics 'cause i work in electromagnetics.  You have to learn the math first or the concepts won't make sense.  However, there are a lot of engineering and science jobs that are product/development related (that is to say, they don't require much math/theory), but still require you to have the degree, which, basically, is 4 years of applied math and physics.  However, as someone said, 'engineering tech' or technician, you just need rudimentary math, but the difference between an intermediate engineering tech and an intermediate design engineer is like,$40,000 a year for the tech, $90,000 a year for the engineer.  The four years of math is worth it.


--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: starfire_xes]
    #13740234 -

even my psychology degree requires a shitload of statistics if you want to get anywhere with it.

the only "science" degree i can think of that doesn't have much math is nursing. all the hard sciences require math. it's only when you get into a specialized subfield like nursing that you can get some of the science and none of the math...but that doesn't do you much good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Science/Physics fields that DON'T involve much math..? [Re: JT]
    #13740251 -

Certain fields of the Geologic Sciences. Though they some contain math, it's pretty simple and straight forward (IMO). Of course you could decide you'd want to be a GeoPhysicist or seismologist etc and I could see you doing a lot of math. Im sure the same could be said about a lot of different fields, just do a lot of research and find out what's right for you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* physics help minusrestraint 1,730 14 01/30/03 06:31 AM
by Jackal
* Why don't we just rename OTD the "Shit Heap"
( 1 2 3 all )
boxtop703 13,391 53 05/07/18 09:20 AM
by Cannabischarlie
* Why don't you post in OTD? Senor_Doobie 3,811 15 02/12/03 06:53 AM
by Shroomism
* BONNAROO SOLD OUT AND DON'T HAVE SOMEONE TO GO WITH!! HELP. *DELETED* Cracka_X 2,244 13 03/01/17 05:01 PM
by Midnight_Toker
* How To Tell Off Friends Doing Coke and Molly? FeedingMyDreams 1,291 12 03/01/18 11:52 PM
by Great Scott
* Happy Acid Day
( 1 2 all )
Che_Night_Soil 3,718 22 04/18/03 11:02 AM
by Che_Night_Soil
* man - past, present, and future. popdewman 1,299 7 03/27/03 02:47 PM
by peruvian spark
* What will happen on December 21, 2012?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Brukan 18,124 111 05/22/19 08:07 AM
by Antigov

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,400 topic views. 1 members, 14 guests and 92 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.