Smackshadow said:
Quote: Who said they were opposed to immigration? All I've seen is people talking about illegal immigration.
What a cop out, if this was about the difference between legal and illegal immigration then we could all agree that amnesty or unregulated legal entry is acceptable because then they would all be legal immigrants.
What a load of shit. If they'd leave and apply for legal immigration.... more power to them.
Quote: It seems painfully obvious to me that you simply don't want them here one way or the other. You might have reasons; social, economic, jingoistic or other concerns some of which might have value. However, if you are only against illegal immigration because they broke the law to get here then you should, all else being equal, believe the most efficient way to change that is to simply change the law.
See above response. There's pain here alright but not related to what is "obvious".
Quote: I do find it odd that when it comes to drug laws no one here seems to give a rat's ass about breaking them, but when it comes it immigration all of the sudden we must enforce the law.
I find it odder that you fail to see the difference between personal behavior that affects only an individual as opposed to behavior that affects many.
Quote: As for unchecked immigration destroying the country, it certainly didn't in the past. I am both Irish and Italian and all of my ancestors came here with virtually zero hurdles. Moreover, Hispanic immigrants conform to American society quicker than both the Irish and Italians.
There weren't quite as many of us then. There wasn't quite the economic problems. There wasn't the same gang problem. There wasn't the same employment problem. I'm Italian, German, Scotch, Welsh and Danish. My ancestors came here with virtually zero hurdles.
So fucking what? Also, please point us to this period of unchecked immigration. To make your task simple lets stick to the last 100 years.
Quote: My 2 cents is that borders are real, but a hindrance to open and free trade and as applied to immigration prevent the free flow of labor.
Your 2 cents aren't worth shit.
Quote: Second, if illegal immigration is sucking up all of our jobs (something I doubt because I have never had a problem getting a job) the it seems to me we have a jobs problem not an immigration problem.
Unfortunately there is (now anyway) a finite number of jobs. There are more people looking for jobs than there are available jobs. These should go to Americans first.
Quote: Third, this notion of protecting our borders is stupid, because we are never going to be able to prevent immigration from our norther border so terrorists will always be able to enter our country whether we like it or not, but considering that immigrants seem to have a low level of terrorist activity compared to Americans one way or the other I am not too concerned. Unless you are talking generic crime, in which case I think you will probably still find more correlation between economic status than racial status. And considering right now illegal immigrants have no way to gain equity in the community because of their intrinsically temporary status, by keeping their illegal status, we are actually propagating the criminal activity.
Bullshit. It doesn't mean you don't try.
Quote: Fourth, back on topic, I like freedom of speech, but if it is being used to disrupt the school environment then I expect the kids to be removed from school. Is wearing an American flag on your shirt during a Mexican holiday disruptive? I don't know I wasn't there. However, the contention that a legal Hispanic teacher suspended patriots because of his personal ethnic heritage seem unlikely.
Even his boss said he acted improperly. Get over it.
Quote: Lastly, you might want to remember that wearing a flag on cloths is flag desecration according to traditional American values.
It's against the law to use a flag as clothing. It is not against the law to have an image of the flag on your clothes. Or are servicemen, police and fire departments desecrating the flag by having a flag on their uniforms?
-------------------- You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers
|