Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: On Buddhist Philosophy [Re: CapHat]
    #11232300 - 10/12/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You are making many false assumptions now CapHat. The majority of buddhist couldn't care less whether you are a buddhist or not. There's no punishment or vagrancy about being a non buddhist. There's no heaven or hell, being buddhist or not buddhist to a buddhist is arbitrary. Most take the belief that if you don't believe in buddhism and do not seek enlightenment it doesn't matter. If you're happy and content with who you are then you are already closer than many who practice day in and day out, and I honestly doubt they would deny that themselves.

I'm also not aware of any holy wars Buddhist participated in, though it's possible they've happened. You seem to be applying your perceptions of western religions, and the dogmas that go with them, towards buddhism, and it just doesn't work that way. The religious western world has been skewed into slavery. Christianity, at it's core (again, mostly Jesus teachings, ignoring the bible and all of the BS that's in it) is a peaceful and accepting religion as well, but the problem with it is that it is much more structured and convoluted so it is easy to manipulate the masses because it has become a religion based on fear. There is no fear in buddhism, just the opposite. Buddhism teaches you that bad things are only an illusion and that everything great (and bad) in the world comes from within. You are the single greatest being in existance (to yourself) and that is really what it is trying to teach.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChronic7
Re: On Buddhist Philosophy [Re: Ahimsa]
    #11232554 - 10/12/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ahimsa said:
Quote:

By realisation itself is meant that it is the realm of inner attainment and has nothing to do with words and discriminations; it leads one up to the realm of non-outflows and is the state of an inner experience; entirely devoid of philosophical speculations it shines out in its own inner light of attainment.

What is meant by the teaching concerning it? It is given in the instructional works and keeps one away from the dualistic notions of being and non-being, of oneness and otherness; first making use of skilful means and expedients, it induces all beings to have a perception of this teaching so that whoever is inclined towards it, may be instructed in it.

Realisation and teaching, self-attainment and instruction - those who have an insight into the difference will not be led away by philosophical authorities.

The Lankavatara Sutra

Does this make any sense to you? And if so, could you elaborate a little please.

Yes, it basically means Truth is beyond the mind, not in the mind, of the mind or attainable by the mind through the mind
So its not philosophy really, or it is the ultimate & final philosophy

Coincidentally i have been reading very little bits of this Sutra recently, its a very beautiful piece of scripture

Heres a lil excerpt:

On Buddha Nature

Pray tell me, Blessed One, what makes the Buddhas and the Blessed Ones such as they are: that is, [what is] the Buddha-nature of the Buddhas?

Said the Blessed One: when the egolessness of things as well as of persons is understood, when the knowledge of the twofold hindrance is thoroughly taken hold of, when the twofold death is accomplished, and when the twofold group of passions is destroyed, there, Mahāmati, is the Buddha-nature of the Buddhas and the Blessed Ones.

On Nirvana

At that time, Mahāmati the Bodhisattva-Mahāsattva said this to the Blessed One: Now the Blessed One makes mention of the Tathāgata-garbha in the sutras, and verily it is described by you as by nature bright and pure, as primarily unspotted, endowed with the thirty-two marks of excellence, hidden in the body of every being like a gem of great value, which is enwrapped in a dirty garment, enveloped in the garment of the Skandhas, Dhātus, and Āyatanas, and soiled with the dirt of greed, anger, folly, and false imagination, (78) while it is described by the Blessed One to be eternal, permanent, auspicious, and unchangeable. Is not this Tathāgata-garbha taught by the Blessed One the same as the ego-substance taught by the philosophers? The ego as taught in the systems of the philosophers is an eternal creator, unqualified, omnipresent, and imperishable.

The Blessed One replied: No, Mahāmati, my Tathāgata-garbha is not the same as the ego taught by the philosophers; for what the Tathagatas teach is the Tathāgata-garbha in the sense, Mahāmati, that it is emptiness, reality-limit, Nirvana, being unborn, unqualified, and devoid of will-effort; the reason why the Tathagatas who are Arhats and Fully-Enlightened Ones, teach the doctrine pointing to the Tathāgata-garbha is to make the ignorant cast aside their fear when they listen to the teaching of egolessness and to have them realise the state of non-discrimination and imagelessness.

Im certainly going to buy this book at some point...Buddhist philosophy is great in its detail inasmuch that it goes into great detail on the layers of the mind & how to trascend them, yet many learn so much they remain caught in these layers & remain mere philosophers, rather than Self Realized Beings...(just as the Buddha so kindly pointed out above..)

Again Mahāmati said: It is said by the Blessed One that from the night of the Enlightenment till the night of the Parinirvana, the Tathagata (143) in the meantime has not uttered even a word, nor will he ever utter; for not-speaking is the Buddha's speaking. According to what deeper sense is it that not-speaking is the Buddha's speaking?

The Blessed One replied: By reason of two things of the deeper sense, Mahāmati, this statement is made. What are the two things: They are the truth of self-realisation and an eternally-abiding reality. According to these two things of the deeper sense the statement is made by me. Of what deeper sense is the truth of self-realisation? What has been realised by the Tathagatas, that is my own realisation, in which there is neither decreasing nor increasing; for the realm of self-realisation is free from words and discriminations, having nothing to do with dualistic terminology.

:peace:

--------------------

OfflineAhimsa
µdose
Male

Re: On Buddhist Philosophy [Re: Chronic7]
    #11232744 - 10/12/09 12:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Amazing isn't it?! :lighter:

InvisibleChronic7
    #11232867 - 10/12/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Its very beautiful, unfortunately i don't read much nowadays

I find this Silence is more than enough...so much Silence!
When i read now, its just for the pure joy ofit, not to learn anything new

Maybe i should read lots again so i can taste what confusion is once more :grin:
Ive almost completely forgotten what its like to be lost in mind, apart from miserable obviously

--------------------

OfflineAhimsa
µdose
Male

#11233001 - 10/12/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah i sometimes find myself engulfed by silence within me when i sit quietly for some time.
Most of the time my mind is just about everywhere. Memories, thoughts of daily concern or any kind of dreamery just fills my mind almost continuously. When i do find the silence it is very pleasant but wont last long. I don't mind, i like to think that thinking is a function of the brain so it is ok. Nevertheless, there are moments when i perceive a deep silence like being in the middle of the universe far away from everything... it's peaceful but it doesn't stay and that too is ok for me.

:ohwell:

InvisibleChronic7
    #11233181 - 10/12/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ahimsa said:

Most of the time my mind is just about everywhere. Memories, thoughts of daily concern or any kind of dreamery just fills my mind almost continuously. When i do find the silence it is very pleasant but wont last long.

:ohwell:

Find the silence that can not come & go, the silence that lasts forever

Thats what the Buddha found & all these sutras are about, silence, not a silence that starts then finishes, or a bliss that starts then finishes, but the eternal blissfull silence

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#11237818 - 10/13/09 05:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the writer of the sutra was on drugs

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: On Buddhist Philosophy [Re: redgreenvines]
    #11239750 - 10/13/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yes, it basically means Truth is beyond the mind, not in the mind, of the mind or attainable by the mind through the mind
So its not philosophy really, or it is the ultimate & final philosophy

I believe you are correct. "How can an infinite mind realize an infinite reality without its own annihilation?" -Meher baba.
Philosophy is the product of the intellect which is in control of the mind or ego. The intellect, being a product of the finite mind, cannot grasp the truth for truth is beyond the mind. "All philosophical explanations are creations of a mind which has never succeeded in passing beyond itself"-meher baba.
So enlightenment is an experience which cannot be intellectualized or explained. In fact no experience can truly be explained. Explain to me the difference between red and yellow? You cannot, you may say that yellow is brighter then red but then explain to me the difference between brighter and less bright? It is an experience beyond words and discrimination's. Higher realizations must come indirectly, they cannot occur solely by the will of the ego mind and its intellect. Again realization must come indirectly. So Teaching must be in the form of instruction.
Quote:

What is meant by the teaching concerning it? It is given in the instructional works

This instruction uses "skill-full means and expedients" to create self-attainment which in turn is realization.
Quote:

By realization itself is meant that it is the realm of inner attainment

Quote:

Realization and teaching, self-attainment and instruction

Edited by soldatheero (10/13/09 03:35 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder