Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
A philosophy degree?
    #3382829 - 11/19/04 04:33 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I was wondering if anyone here has done a philosophy degree before or has any kind of knowledge of what sort of things you get taught on this subject at uni. I'm thinking about doing a degree in it but I have no real background on the subject, I just find it intriguing.
Without having a background it'll make it hard to write a personal statement for my uni application so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips?

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #3382874 - 11/19/04 05:05 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I do know a girl that studies philosophy but I odn't exactly know what kind of things thay have to learn.

I looked on the website of the university I go to and there's a big description of alls tudies, also philosophy, but it's in Dutch and I don't think you can read that :smirk:

just check out the websites of some universities that you might consider they probably have good descriptions about what kind of subjects etc the study philosophy has.

I hear from more people that it's a very interesting study!

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3382956 - 11/19/04 06:31 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

what are you going to do with that degree once you finished??

philosophise about being unemployed???

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #3382969 - 11/19/04 06:54 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

My mum did a philosophy degree, then went into teaching primary school. She now manages the service that ensures proper education of all the deaf children in my home town, so there's always possibilites..

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3383008 - 11/19/04 07:53 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I have a B.A. degree in philosophy from Long Island University. I changed from pre-med studies after my 3rd semester to philosophy, and the professor I consulted with said: "You're gonna starve, man." Well, it was a lot of LSD that was behind the change, and when I finally came down to Earth, and found myself being a janitor for minimum wage, I had a kind of breakdown. I ran to the first and nearest university and got back to school - a Masters of Theological Studies program at Drew University. Even with that degree and 6 years of higher education, I was unemployable, so once again I looked for school and spent the following 4 years living as an impoverished grad student at the University of Maryland where I earned a Ph.D. I also met my 1st wife there (whom I NEVER should have married), moved to a state that I NEVER should have moved to, and didn't get full time employment for a year and a half. It wasn't until I'd been here for 3 years that I got a career-track position.

So, the whole trip began with me leaving the world of practicality completely. I have a number of credentials, but I still think of myself as a philosopher first, and take the Ph.D. literally as Doctor of Philosophy, which most Ph.D.'s never think about beyond the title's capacity to get them a job. It took me a dozen additional years to acquire a niche in the world. Before I even left for U. of MD, one childhood friend had 2 homes, a Corvette and a fishing boat to play with - which he generously shared with me - but he never went to college and he never reads. He was eligible for retirement maybe 9 years ago, and I can't even think about retiring for a minimum of 11 more years. If he wanted to study philosophy now, he could do so for the rest of his life in leisure, collecting a pension. Of course, he would not want to study philosophy, but my point is that too much Wisdom, too early in life can make mundane and profane living particularly difficult. Build your life from the rock-bottom basement up, not from the roof down. Establish the Root Center, then the Power Center; THEN with a firm foundation in the world, and providing you don't lose your way in the comforts of materiality, you can then built a tower to higher worlds. Just one person's experience.

Peace

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3383096 - 11/19/04 09:11 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I'm a phil major. What he said ^^^

I'd add: Find out if your department is contential or analytic. There is so much difference between these subfields.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #3383177 - 11/19/04 09:46 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

A friend of mine is working toward his philosophy degree at the University of Calgary. He tells me that the curriculum he's following downplays easter philosophy while emphasizing and even favouring western philosophy. He talks about how unfair comparisons are often drawn between the two, that the mechanistic worldview receives a lot more attention in his class than any other. Was your experience at all like this, Markos?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3383373 - 11/19/04 11:03 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Informative thread...I was actually planning to major in Philosophy, but now I am rethinking this.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: Ped]
    #3383386 - 11/19/04 11:08 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I'm probably going to do a philosophy degree. I've been reading what is basically a degree level textbook for philosophy. My course is philosophy of mind, political philosophy, epistemology, ethics and some other stuff. You need to be willing to consider arguments that may conflict with your personal beliefs with an open mind, and you need to be able to use logic well. Philosophy can be quite a bit like maths, actually. If you don't have any real knowledge of it, I'd read up on the basics, just to see if you can stand 3 years of it.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: deafpanda]
    #3383398 - 11/19/04 11:11 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I enjoy thinking about philosopy and reading a few books here and there. When I first got to college, i was idealistic and was told to, "study something you like". Good thing I didn't take that advice. I'm sure If i had to sit through 80 credits of philosophy I wouldn't enjoy it like I do now. Instead I picked a practical route that will guarantee employment.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #3383599 - 11/19/04 12:20 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/21/04 05:39 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3383702 - 11/19/04 12:49 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

haha, kinda miss obligated school :P
My "why the hell do i have to be in school, when i want to be home sleeping" degree, really did not get me really far, they should be giving dry grams of Hawaiian shrooms in the birth delivery room, pre-school, and kinder garden?? hihi :wink:
had i gone to "youth-school" now, maybe I would have had 'more' interest in learning? :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (11/19/04 12:52 PM)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: Gomp]
    #3383833 - 11/19/04 01:16 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

"."

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/21/04 05:38 PM)

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#3383849 - 11/19/04 01:19 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

But see, Markos, it has worked out perfectly for you. Can you honestly say you would be here now, had you pursued the practical path?

Establish the Root Center, then the Power Center; THEN with a firm foundation in the world, and providing you don't lose your way in the comforts of materiality, you can then built a tower to higher worlds.

Materialism is a creepy thing. It sneaks up from behind and strangles you. When you realize it, it is too late.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3384356 - 11/19/04 02:57 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

hear hear! ;P

if they don't go as pets, don't forget, even fish can trip? :P

an aquarium full of guppy's on LSD, could be fun right?

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3384550 - 11/19/04 03:51 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

marko, your post has thrown me into a quagmire of existential despair.

seriously

:sad:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#3385294 - 11/19/04 06:18 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

-----

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/21/04 05:36 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: Nomad]
    #3386698 - 11/19/04 11:45 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

That's what I've ben telling myself now for a couple of decades, but what if I had completed medical studies and discovered Andrew Weil, M.D. for example? As it turns out, one of the reviewers of his 'Natural Mind' was the husband of my own childhood baby-sitter who lived across the street. I witnessed their wedding. She was a Harvard-Oxford graduate who later taught at Harvard. Maybe I could've been hooked up with enlightened medicine. Maybe I could have fallen in with the likes of Rick Strassman who did work on DMT as in his book 'DMT: The Spirit Molecule.'

ON THE OTHER HAND, I have a hunch that my life developed exactly as it was supposed to. As an INTP, I am constitutionally made for things like philosophy and psychology, and medical training is about as physical-material as one can delve. I would have been lacking in the Extraverted Sensing aspects and not been particularly good at observation of physical phenomenon because my psychic energy is tied up with Introverted Thinking, with "possibilities" more than with empirical realities.

I need lots of space, and that means a life-style not dominated by worldly ambitions of career-enhancement. I want TRUTH, not power, wealth, status - i.e., the illusion.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: Ped]
    #3386761 - 11/20/04 12:07 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Well, as you can imagine, even during my undergrad years of 1971-75, when I was a philosophy major for 5 semesters (following biology), I was a freak. I was taking lots of LSD, practicing Yoga (which I learned in college courses), being vegetarian, even celibate for long periods and therefore the Western philosophies that I favored were similar to, maybe even derivative of Eastern philosophy. There was Plato (Bob Brier gave a course on the Mysticism of Plato), and when another class dropped out entirely from a course in Mysticism, the prof gave me a tutorial in The Enneads of Plotinus and Pseudo-Dionysus [The Areopagite] - the great Christian Neoplatonist. I avoided the worldly philosophers, the political philosophers, at least insofar as I was building my personal world-view. I mean, I read some Hobbes, and Voltaire and took a course in Utilitarianism (Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill), Symbolic Logic was mandatory, but the mystico-religious philosophies helped me to grasp the Psychedelic Experience. They also paved the way for a Masters in Theological Studies later. I tried to get with the few other philosophy students, but my strong convictions on things like karma, transmigration of soul (from Greek and Indian sources) caused those people to shy away. Also, they were not into taking acid, and so remained in ordinary sense data-reason-based philosophies. I even offered LSD to a couple of philosophy and one theology prof during under grad years.

The center of my college year book - the only two page full color spread - shows a lonely, pony-tailed, denim-clad, unsung Western hero meditating in lotus position on the setting sun one chill November evening on the Great Lawn. Can you guess the identity of that guy trying to exist in the clog-shoed, disco music, polyester shirted, gold-plated razor bladed, cocaine culture that the 1970's became by the time I finished college?

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: A philosophy degree? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3386811 - 11/20/04 12:22 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Don't you put your existential despair on me! Seriously. We are BOTH woven into the existence of space-time, and if you are experiencing "The Sickness Unto Death," than perhaps you should consult the first Christian Existentialist - Soren Kierkegaard - and see what he suggests. I mean, I can read Existentialism, even 'Existential Psychotherapy' by Irv Yalom, yet all of the conclusions are devoid of Essentialism - Being - the Ground of Being - GOD. I prefer the theological existentialism of Paul Tillich ('The Courage to Be,' and 'The Eternal Now') to any atheist existentialist. I have lived as an atheist, as an agnostic, as a theist and as a gnostic. I really must tell you - theism and gnosis have given me 'the courage to be' as well as the joy of living and Living Joy. I will never live the existence of spiritual inertness again. Existence without Essence will be my dried bones.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology