Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Why are Buddhists more moral?
    #2167417 - 12/07/03 09:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Show me a violent immoral evil Buddhist. Seriously. Okay, maybe if you're like, UBER-lucky, you could find ONE in the past who spit on someone's lawn. But seriously, like, overall, think about it.
Why are Buddhists more moral? Hmmm.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2167426 - 12/07/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Because they just sit around meditating all day and don't do shit with their lives. :smirk:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #2167440 - 12/07/03 10:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Actualy the Buddhist's were known to be less then friendly in their treatment of the poeple who study'd the Shamanic Bon religion..They took their land and extrodited them to Nepal until about one hundred years ago.. It had more to do with corrupt government official's and it's unfair to blame the monks or anyone else for that matter..
As for their morality I'd say it has alot to do with the fact that they believe that all life is connected and if you harm or even think of harming someone you are thinking of harming yourself.. It's hard to do anything wrong to other's when they are you and you are them.. The whole concept of gaining anything for one's self is rediculous becuase you only truely gain anything when you breath every breath for the benefit of all humanity..

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2167635 - 12/08/03 12:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

There is a great deal of degeneration in the Buddhist faith. Degeneration is a property of organized theologies and philosophies. Recently in Lhasa there were a number of monks killed in a dispute between practitioners of Dorje Shugden and non-practitioners of the same.

That said, the question still remains: why do Buddhists have a reptuation as morally advanced? In general, we can make a distinction on this topic between Buddhists and followers of other faiths. It is important to be careful not to exalt Buddhist practitioners over practitioners of other paths.

I think it has to do with what resides at the core of Buddha's teachings. Buddhism has always been taught in a way that can be understood to be more like that of a cookbook than that of a doctrine. Instead of do's and do-nots, there is an assembly of guidelines which, if properly mixed and baked at 350 degrees for an hour and a half, produce an enlightened being. One of the primary ingredients in the recipe for enlightenment is the perfection of moral discipline. Another is the practice of Lo-Jong, patience & acceptance. Another is the cultivation of six recognitions. The six recognitions can be summed up as viewing others as though they have something to teach us, instead of us to them.

And so not only at the core of Buddhism are specific instructions and explantions of the values of a morally disciplined life, but there are also instructions which serve to obliberate the causes of the minds which lead us into harming others: pride and wrong discrimination. I suppose that this, combined with the tireless effort to maintain the integrity of Buddhism, has earned Buddhists worldwide a powerful reputation for ethical discipline.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2167708 - 12/08/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I respect the peaceful nature of the Buddhist. I admire the faith highly.

There are few fundamentalist Buddhists but they do exist. I think some even took up arms at one point in Sri Lanka during the 80's

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2167714 - 12/08/03 01:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Haha Skorp this is worse than when you claimed someone spoke in an ancient completely unknown language while under hypnosis and I completely proved you wrong.

Description of Bhutan:

"Bhutan is the last remaining Tantric Buddhist kingdom; the Dalai Lama is the world's best known Tantric Buddhist. Tantric Buddhist monks and nuns wear maroon robes, although reincarnates also wear a saffron shirt or vest. Most Bhutanese practice the Nyingmapa sect, founded by the Guru Rinpoche, which allows its monks to marry. "

Now why is it that this country, the last officially buddhist country on the planet, headed by a buddhist would drive over 100 000 people across the border into Nepal? Why would 100 000 people run away from some nice Buddhists who never even spit on lawns?

Check this out:

"Over 134,000 of Bhutanese citizens, approximately twenty percent of Bhutan?s total population, are now living in the refugee camps, outside of camps in Nepal and India. Bhutan is thus, responsible generation of highest per capita refugee in the world."

All I have to say is WOW I can't believe you have such a warped view of Buddhists. The last quote is from here which is a very obviously anti-bhutan website.

Check this out too: LINK!

"Bhutanese dissidents say more than 300 people were killed in clashes with
Bhutan's security forces during the protests of 1990. Thimpu says only one
person was killed."

Hmmm.. that sounds like a little more than spitting on lawns..

"Bhutan has said it fears its Buddhist Drukpa culture will be swamped by an
uncontrolled influx of Hindus from poorer Nepal. It has angered Kathmandu by
trying to get immigrants to adopt Bhutanese dress and ethics and speak the
Dzongkha national language. "

You really should accept reality, Skorpivo. I'm afraid buddhists are just like the rest of us. In the past I've read about Buddhist sects performing terrorrist attacks involving bombing civilians as well.

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2167737 - 12/08/03 01:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Bhutanese dissidents say more than 300 people were killed in clashes with
Bhutan's security forces during the protests of 1990.

I guarantee you the people doing the killing were not practicing buddhists. Maybe if you understood the message of the buddha you wouldn't formulate such ignorant opinions.

In the past I've read about Buddhist sects performing terrorrist attacks involving bombing civilians as well.

:shake: :confused: :wtf:

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: chunder]
    #2167756 - 12/08/03 01:35 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I guarantee you the people doing the killing were not practicing buddhists.

70% of Bhutanese are buddhist (approx.) 20% of the population was chased out of Bhutan because they weren't buddhists, and guess who did the chasing? The Bhutanese government, which of course is very pro-buddhist. Lots of the human rights abuses perpetrated by this government are done to protect their buddhist culture. They fear democracy.. because people will want to wear different clothes, have electricity, the internet, watch TV, and buddhism will lose popularity. To protect themselves and the buddhist culture they chase non-buddhists out of the country claiming they don't have their papers in order. You think a government acting so desperately to save buddhism would hire police from a non-buddhist minority to chase out the rest of the non-buddhists minorities?

Sorry for bursting your bubble  :confused:

Number source: adherents.com

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2167769 - 12/08/03 01:46 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hahahaha!

go to asia and you'll see alot more than one immoral buddhist monk. Buddhists are notorious for being rich, elitist, capitalists in Japan who ride around in Benzo's and dont give a fuck about anyone.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: Positronius]
    #2167776 - 12/08/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

But.. new age culture has taught me they are the best! Oh dear, do westerners idealize eastern spirituality? Nah...

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #2167818 - 12/08/03 02:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It doesn't mean you should discredit their whole faith based on a their government's wrong doing's.. That's like saying all of Islam is bad because of september 11th.. Buddhism is a beutiful religion and your ignoring alot of the positivity.. In places like nepal Hindu and Buddhist religions have a profound influence on each other..
There are even Buddhist monks who are married to Shaman's who practice the Bon religion which was the religion that was persecuted in Bhutan..The majority of devout Buddhist's are kind people..

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2167841 - 12/08/03 02:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

of course I don't mean to discredit their whole religion. I was just pointing out that buddhists, like the rest of us, can be very human and shouldn't be idealized like this:

"Okay, maybe if you're like, UBER-lucky, you could find ONE in the past who spit on someone's lawn. But seriously, like, overall, think about it."

they are just like any group of religious or non-religious people. Some are shining examples of positivity and all those pretty and nice things, and others are evil fucks.

And just to clear things up the main persecution in Bhutan is against muslims and hindus. Followers of the Bon religion don't play as big a role in the whole catastrophe.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2167922 - 12/08/03 02:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Its all about the ochre robes. How can you be violent wearing that?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: Swami]
    #2167927 - 12/08/03 03:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

um.. they're dyed with the blood of your foes?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2167928 - 12/08/03 03:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, when your enemies are all dead the violence dissipates.

--------------------

User Gallery

#2167953 - 12/08/03 03:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mixedcomatoecyst, like chunder said:

Quote:

chunder said:
[I guarantee you the people doing the killing were not practicing buddhists. Maybe if you understood the message of the buddha you wouldn't formulate such ignorant opinions.

Sure, those people you mention in your posts may have been of native of a predominantly buddhist country. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they were all TRUE practicing Buddhists, who truly adhered to the Buddhist religion....

I know people who're Catholic just because they were born into a Catholic family....and maybe even goes to Catholic church sometimes, just as a routine, but not in pure LOVE and RESPECT for the religion. So if they did incredibly cruel and sadistic evil things and murder people and so on, I'm not gonna judge all Catholics out there who actually truly DO abide by the Christian standards and rules with true love, respect, and effort for the religion, and God; all based on just that negative experience of somebody who didnt even truly apply themself into their religion.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2168007 - 12/08/03 03:42 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sure, those people you mention in your posts may have been of native of a predominantly buddhist country. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they were all TRUE practicing Buddhists, who truly adhered to the Buddhist religion....

The same argument is made to excuse the wrong-doings done in the name of every other religion. Frankly, I don't buy it. How do you decide who's a "true" practitioner and who isn't? Sounds elitist to me.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2168011 - 12/08/03 03:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Frankly, I don't buy it. How do you decide who's a "true" practitioner and who isn't? Sounds elitist to me.

The ones whose actions most closely resemble those of atheists are the "true" religious practioners.

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: Why are Buddhists more moral? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2168013 - 12/08/03 03:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

People who massacre others and drive em out of their land to oppress them and all that, are obviously not "true" buddhist practioners. Show me where in the Buddhist "guidelines" you see anything advocating such violence.

--------------------

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2168017 - 12/08/03 03:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"The ones whose actions most closely resemble those of atheists are the "true" religious practioners"

please elaborate, that statement, as of now, makes no sense.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology