Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878476 -

I don't understand if it's threatening or intimidating?

The point that I get from what they're doing is they're saying "Look here. I have a gun, I am letting it known I have a gun by openly carrying it, and nothing wrong is happening as a result. I am not using my gun, nor do I intend to since that would completely counter any action I want taken."

No offense but you'd have to be pretty stupid to think they're going to use those guns. Unless someone fucking shot at them or something, but then it'd be a damn good thing they have their guns with them.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Knifey Mcstab]
    #10878478 -

if i had an AR id sport it too


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: jewunit]
    #10878485 -

jewunit said:
Haha, what?
Quote:
"It was a group interested in exercising the right to bear arms," said police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill.



What the fuck does health care have to do with anything?




according to the Centers For Disease Control, everything because
they believe high velocity lead poisoning is an illness

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: jewunit]
    #10878489 -

jewunit said:
They had a point they wanted to make to the president. Are the supposed to sit around and wait 'til he's there to talk about gun control?



Uh...yeah.  The protest is against health care reform.  You bring a gun into that equation, and you're sending a very violent message against what's being proposed.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878492 -

Silversoul said:
WakeboardrB said:
Do you have some sort of problem with people embracing their constitutional rights in a peaceful and lawful manner?



I have no problem with the Second Amendment, but I do have a problem with people exercising that right in a way that sends a threatening and intimidating message.  Just as I don't agree with people exercising their First Amendment rights to spread hateful messages, nor do I agree with people exercising their Second Amendment rights for the same purpose.



Well it's your own problem if you took their peaceful expression of constitutional rights as a threat when there obviously was none.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #10878497 -

WakeboardrB said:
Green_T said:
Even though what he did was perfectly legal, it is still sketch because it symbolizes a threat (albeit weakly)

Its the difference between saying "i am pissed about xyz" and "i am pissed about xyz...and i have a gun".

Make sense?



Do you really think that those people in that crowd that were openly carrying firearms (there were over 10), were really trying to bring across a message of violence or threats of violence? That may be your twisted interpretation of it, but for those of us that can think rationally, it doesn't equate to a threat at all.

Jesus, some people just see guns as some sort of evil force.

Do you feel threatened when there is a police man in a crowd with a gun on his belt?



I used to live in a country where people openly carried AK 47s, and another country where there was an ongoing civil war. I dont get scared when I see a gun, so don't assume i've never seen one before. I'd probably seen more guns by the age of 10 than you'll ever see your entire life.

All im saying is that its bad taste. He's trying to convey a message, and there is more than one way to interpret it.


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878503 -

Silversoul said:
jewunit said:
They had a point they wanted to make to the president. Are the supposed to sit around and wait 'til he's there to talk about gun control?



Uh...yeah.  The protest is against health care reform.  You bring a gun into that equation, and you're sending a very violent message against what's being proposed.



You conveniently left out the quote from the police saying it's a group interested in protecting their right to bear arms.
So no, those particular people weren't there protesting health care.

Jesus fuck read the article man.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878509 -

Silversoul said:
I have no problem with the Second Amendment, but I do have a problem with people exercising that right in a way that sends a threatening and intimidating message.  Just as I don't agree with people exercising their First Amendment rights to spread hateful messages, nor do I agree with people exercising their Second Amendment rights for the same purpose.



it's all in how you want to perceive something, of course
believing that every demonstration of this sort is supposed to be
a threat could lead people to use their first amendment rights to
spread a hateful message, they're probably calling all the
'offended' drama queens now, oh the hate :rolleyes:

so you dont actually support the first or second amendment
because someone may actually exercise those rights

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878511 -

Silversoul said:
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part where this health care debate had anything whatsoever to do with gun rights.  What the hell do guns have to do with health care?



:facepalm:

He has the right to bear arms any where in public
It doesn't have to be a rally on gun rights to carry a gun

He can carry a gun walking down the street

Your argument is (once again) pointless

Silversoul said:
WakeboardrB said:
Do you have some sort of problem with people embracing their constitutional rights in a peaceful and lawful manner?



I have no problem with the Second Amendment, but I do have a problem with people exercising that right in a way that sends a threatening and intimidating message.  Just as I don't agree with people exercising their First Amendment rights to spread hateful messages, nor do I agree with people exercising their Second Amendment rights for the same purpose.



I see this guy bringing a gun to a political demonstration
to be the perfect time to exercise your Constitutional Right


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: jewunit]
    #10878519 -

jewunit said:
No offense but you'd have to be pretty stupid to think they're going to use those guns.



Considering the history of presidents and guns, I'd beg to differ.  But even given that premise, the point is that this was not a gun control debate.  It's a health care debate that's been escalated to very violent by the loony right.  One congressman had his office sign spray-painted with a swastika.  Several others have been hung in effigy.  Town hall after town hall has been nearly shut down by unruly idiots who've been told that the government wants to pull the plug on grandma.  Add guns to this equation, and we're looking at a very scary escalation.  I would not be surprised if we end up seeing some real violence break out by the time this debate is over.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878530 -

Quote:
No it isn't
What goes on in your home can easily be illegal
What goes on in your home is completely up to you
If you don't want people to wear shoes in your house
that is your perogative

once you step out of your house
you step into public domain
your home laws do not apply

if it is legal for me to wear shoes
you have no right to say that I can't
regardless of how badly you dislike shoes



The presidential venue isn't public domain.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878536 -

Silversoul said:
jewunit said:
They had a point they wanted to make to the president. Are the supposed to sit around and wait 'til he's there to talk about gun control?



Uh...yeah.  The protest is against health care reform.  You bring a gun into that equation, and you're sending a very violent message against what's being proposed.




who got killed, who was shot, how was it a violent message

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878538 -

Violence?

Heavens no!!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Green_T]
    #10878547 -

My hero



--------------------
DG
:plur:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #10878550 -

Prisoner#1 said:
who got killed, who was shot, how was it a violent message



A gun is a show of force.  It's symbolic.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Ferris]
    #10878556 -

Ferris said:
Quote:
No it isn't
What goes on in your home can easily be illegal
What goes on in your home is completely up to you
If you don't want people to wear shoes in your house
that is your perogative

once you step out of your house
you step into public domain
your home laws do not apply

if it is legal for me to wear shoes
you have no right to say that I can't
regardless of how badly you dislike shoes



The presidential venue isn't public domain.



But outside of the presidential venue is.....

public domain. 

:scream:


Jesus fucking christ.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: niteowl]
    #10878560 -

People, quit making this about the right to keep and bear arms.  I'm not arguing against the second amendment.  I'm arguing against using it in bad taste.  Personally, I don't think it's good taste to bring it any protest, but you people who say that I'm just wildly misinterpreting this are completely ignoring the context of how this health care debate has advanced.  It has been a process of continued escalation of intimidating tactics.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Silversoul]
    #10878561 -

Silversoul said:
jewunit said:
No offense but you'd have to be pretty stupid to think they're going to use those guns.



Considering the history of presidents and guns, I'd beg to differ.  But even given that premise, the point is that this was not a gun control debate.  It's a health care debate that's been escalated to very violent by the loony right.  One congressman had his office sign spray-painted with a swastika.  Several others have been hung in effigy.  Town hall after town hall has been nearly shut down by unruly idiots who've been told that the government wants to pull the plug on grandma.  Add guns to this equation, and we're looking at a very scary escalation.  I would not be surprised if we end up seeing some real violence break out by the time this debate is over.



You're ignoring the fact that those people were there to exercise their right to bear arms. Please stop ignoring that. It's why they were there. They can't sit around and wait for him to possibly come back to talk about gun control.

And the history of guns and the president is different than guns in one place and the president in another. He wasn't in any danger.

You're making pretty weak arguments.

Edit: And you're ignoring the context that these people were there for a different reason.
Edit 2 @ Ferris: Perhaps the point they're trying to make is it ISN'T a symbol of power. They are just like everyone else, so fucking what if they have a gun?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Ferris]
    #10878565 -

Ferris said:
Prisoner#1 said:
who got killed, who was shot, how was it a violent message



A gun is a show of force.  It's symbolic.



Brandishing a firearm in a threatening manner is a show of force.

Carrying one in a holster or on your back is not.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest [Re: Ferris]
    #10878566 -

I call undercover.

Legit black men buy AKs'.

Cops buy M4s'

Let this argument come to a close.

Thank you for your time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The best "Assault" rifle in the world... xDuckYouSuckerx 2,316 13 02/04/13 08:53 AM
by vinsue
* Any suggestions for a badass concealed carry gun?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
RandalFlagg 11,455 90 12/29/16 08:03 AM
by Patlal
* My mom yelled at me for carrying a gun
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
RandalFlagg 15,517 162 12/23/05 06:42 AM
by eligal
* Can a civilian in USA (california) legally carry an expandable baton? TODAY 7,734 11 08/23/06 06:49 PM
by TODAY
* Can a civilian in USA (california) legally carry an expandable baton? TODAY 676 0 08/23/06 03:07 PM
by TODAY
* Do you carry a pistol? What kind?
( 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 )
Supernova 22,626 352 01/21/05 03:49 PM
by snoopaloop53
* Los Angeles Protest rally pic's
( 1 2 all )
LosAngelesGraff 3,204 22 10/06/06 02:09 PM
by LosAngelesGraff
* POLICE END IMMIGRATION PROTEST WITH RUBBER BULLETS, BEAT DOWN CAMERAMEN
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ZippoZM 15,459 106 05/03/07 06:54 PM
by ganjaguru

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
16,603 topic views. 2 members, 95 guests and 87 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 16 queries.