Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemarkus

Loc: Slovakia
Storage - should I freeze them?
    #999293 - 10/28/02 06:00 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dear shroomery,
I collected a lot of semilanceata mushrooms in the woods of Moravia, Europe. They're already dried, now I think of putting them either in the plastic bags and in the freezer or storing them in the honey. What is better? I thank you for your advices.
Jah bless

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: markus]
    #999348 - 10/28/02 07:05 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

if you are going to store them in the freezer, make sure that they are 100% dry. when you freeze something, the waer crystalizes into sharp shards. basically what that means is that the water in the mushy will shread molecular walls when turned to ice. this can only have a bad effect on the activity. i think that any cool dark place will be fine. i wouldnt freeze them.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #999401 - 10/28/02 07:48 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have had success storing mushrooms on a long term basis, by vacuum 100% dry mushrooms and storing them in the freezer. If you are just looking to store them for a few months, the coldest part of your refer will do nicely.
If you do not ensure your shroomy friends are completely dry before you freeze them, you will kill them. :frown:

Good Hunting! Enjoy your harvest. :cool:

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Offlinetsimehc
freak
    #999580 - 10/28/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well.. freezing shouldnt be a problem if you have a inert atmosphere inside whatever container you decide to store them in (ps dont use plastic)... and as long as its in a cool place there probly be no degregation...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1000031 - 10/28/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Fred G. is right on the money. I fan dry them until crisp, then use a desicant to insure they are cracker dry, then place them in a heavy duty autoclave bag, then vaccum the air out, then seal the bag with an inpulse sealer. They will store for months & months in a freezer in this manner, without any noticible effect on potency.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblelazyvegan
psome wierdo..

Loc: Spaceship Earth
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: SixTango]
    #1002450 - 10/29/02 03:23 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well if they're liberty caps, i wouldn't worry to much about freezing them..a friend of mine used to collect alot of them every year, then after drying, he just stored them in a dark plastic tupperware container, and they seemed to hold they're potency just fine til the next season rolled around..i believe it's because they contain more psilocybin than psilosin, unlike other species of shrooms which contain more psilosin, and lose they're potency much faster..you say you found them in tha "woods"?..

somebodyeverywhere..

--------------------
"Paradise is not a place..it's a state of mind"
"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign." John Stuart Mill

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: tsimehc]
    #1002526 - 10/29/02 05:04 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

freezing shouldnt be a problem

If they are wet, the freezing process causes the cells to rupture inside the fruit. When the fruit thaws you end up with a deep-blue/purple mass of slimey mucus like shrooms. If they are dry, then as you say, no problem.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: Seuss]
    #1002642 - 10/29/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

yeah it shouldnt...

ive been doing some reading on past posts... and i feel that alot of people use zip locks... thats a big no no ppl... if anything.. use glass jars... but at the moment... i feel that drying and storing under inert atmosphere refrigerated probly will preserve the goodness for years...

the inert gas probly easy to obtain through vinagar and bakeing soda (co2) is probly the best way to displace the oxygen and stop it from oxidise ... then i would seal it... probly at this point it would be either in polyethylene bags or polypropylene bags... i think either would do... since i have lots of 6mil polyethylene sheeting.. i would use that... after putting cracker dry goodness into sealed bags with an inert atmosphere and a optional dessicant to ensure that its dry...... i would then either store it in basement or in a freezer.... i think the basement is cold enough.... 65f and lower...

should last a long time because i removed the 3 things that are probly bad for shrooms

heat
    oxygen
    contaminates

but i also thought about vaccum drying so that the mushrooms retain quality.... well.. thats another story...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/29/02 07:34 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: tsimehc]
    #1003204 - 10/29/02 12:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Try using dry ice as a source of co2. VInigar and baking soda sounds too messy for my taste.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleStoJo
. ? ? ? , ? ? ?.
Loc: Pennsylvania
    #1003948 - 10/29/02 06:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

By far, the best way to preserve shrooms is to put 'em in a mason jar, perhaps in a loosely fitting sandwitch bag, and drop a piece of dry ice in the jar. rest the inner lid on the top of the jar and turn the threaded lid just a little bit so its attached. when the dry ice changes state, there will be pure co2 in the jar (and no oxidation). Screw the lid on tight and store in a dark place. Whammo!

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Storage - should I freeze them? [Re: StoJo]
    #1004521 - 10/29/02 09:07 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

there is one problem... i dont want to go out and buy more crap.... if i dig around my house i probly can find all the ingredients to make co2...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Invisiblevildechayea
shodan

#1004537 - 10/29/02 09:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I toss em' in a glass jar with a couple silica packs & call it a day.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag