Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Post your gear list!
    #9624850 -

I figured we need a 'new' list of everything people bring on the trail with them, instead of one or two components.
Whether it be car camping, backpacking, train-hopping, 2-3 day trips, or several month long thru-hikes, let's compare our lists!

Here's mine, generally everything I take when I go backcountry:


Pack, Shelter, Bed (The Big Three):
- Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian internal frame pack - 3800 ci, 3lbs 8oz
- Hennessy Hammock - Explorer ultralight w/ oversized sil-nylon fly - ~3lbs
- Thermarest Z-lite - 14oz
- REI Mojave 15° down mummy bag - 1lb 2oz

Kitchen:
- Penny Stove (as seen here - total weight w/ windscreen & stand ~ 2oz
- Titanium Pot (lid doubles as frying pan) not sure of weight but it's real light.
- Aluminum Mug
- 12-16 oz fuel (1oz is enough for ~2 meals)
- Lexan Spork!
- FOOOOOOD
- Baggies of teas and various spices
- 3 liter platypus Big Zip SL water reservoir
- MSR Waterworks EX water filter
- Chopsticks - tons of uses..
- Water bottle

Tools & Essentials:
- Fallkniven F1 survival knife
- Gerber folding blade for general abuse
- Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (~2 lbs) - amazing axe for splitting small logs and woodwork, light and fits easily in my pack
- Kershaw folding saw
- Diamond steel sharpening stone
- Small leatherman multitool

- Petzl Tactikka Headlamp + LED light + extra batteries
- Compass + Map (if needed)
- Toiletries in small sack - brush, toothpaste, baby wipes, dr. bonners magic biodegradable soap (cleans dishes too!)
- Fire kit (firesteel, flint, firestarters, fatwood, etc)
- First aid kit (various bandages/gauze, sutures, neosporin, alcohol pads, small vial of peroxide, tweezers, moleskin, no aspirin pain-killers, tape, ace wrap)
- Survival/Repair Kit- (Duct tape wrapped around a pen, Super glue, Fish lures/hooks, Fishing line, tiny LED light, Safety Pins, Razor Blade, Needles and dental floss (as thread), Folded squares of aluminum foil, Waterproof matches, Whistle, Aqua Mira tablets)
- 50' of 550 paracord
- Sunglasses
- Sunscreen/Bug repellent, if needed.

Clothes:
Depends highly on the weather and climate. Assuming a warm season..

- Some synthetic pants and shorts.
- 2 synthetic shirts
- waterproof shell
- wool socks
- hat with brim
- handkerchief (double as a towel/washcloth/million other things)
- insulated jacket in colder weather
- add layers as needed


I think that's about everything. I try to pack lightly, but I'm never going for super-minimalist, super-ultralight.
I like to "be prepared", as they say in the boy scouts. Better to be well prepared, then unprepared in any potential survival situation I say.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9624897 -

Big three:
Gregory Z55: 3lbs 8oz.
Hennessey expedition: 2lbs 12oz
Army synth sleeping bag: 3lbs

Kitchen:
2 32oz. nalgene bottles
Katadyn Vario water filter
4 MRE's

First Aid:
5 4x4 gauze pads
1 combat tourniquet
1 NPA airway tube
2 scalpel blades
medical tape
roll of kerlix
antibiotic ointment
tweezers
16g needle for pneumothorax
ibuprofen
bandaids

Essentials:
signal mirror
VS-17 panel
Benchmade Griptilian
Tactikka headlamp
AA, AAA batteries
Garmin GPSMap 60csx
Local map
Compass
LED campground beacon
Grunt Survival kit
Magnesium firestarter

Clothes
Merell jungle moc's
DCU/BDU pants
UnderArmor syth socks
nylon/wicking fabric t-shirt
various tech layers for top/bottom
goretex shell
hat
kerchief


--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Crasher]
    #9624923 -

:thumbup:

That's a pretty brutal little survival kit there.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9624924 -

we had an entire Gear Room in our house when we were kids.

it was like 30 years worth of Rock climbing/ Mountain biking,paddling,and Camping gear.

it was nuts.



Nowadays I'm minimalist to the extreme.

Murdercycle/car/whatever gets me there.

-75% of the time a skateboard( even took one to the jungle)
-Knife.
-tarp. ( makes a great tent,rain cover,slide,anything)
-towel( never leave home with a towel,right?)
-duct tape
-more duct tape
-fire
-gallon of water( sometimes a purifier bottle if i'm feeling gay)
- oh,and I often take a wrapped up length of aluminum foil to cook food in.


that's about it. Give or take.

I've lived out deep deep out in the middle of the woods for a few weeks at a time with basically these items+ food stuffs of course.

I like roughing it.

I think my youth of faggy Yuppie Gear whores made me rebel. Well, that and hanging around trainhopping Gutter Punks for the rest of my youth to today.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9624937 -

Shroomism said:
:thumbup:

That's a pretty brutal little survival kit there.



Got it for free at work. No way I'd spend 150 for 30-50 bucks in gear.


--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: CaptainH13]
    #9624947 -

Haha.. yeah those gutterpunks can have that sort of influence.

My philosophy kinda falls somewhere in between lightweight hikers and super hardcore guys.
I'll try to buy lightweight gear whenever possible, without sacrificing functionality. I'm sort of a gear snob..
I used to be all about the super-minimalist/lightweight but now I've sort of drifted back to the 'be prepared' mentality.. like carrying shit I don't really "need" like two knives, etc.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: CaptainH13]
    #9624950 -

Lowe Alpine internal frame backpack
jansport backpack(daypack) or
camelpack
hennessey hammock expedition 2.5 or
4 person tent or
2 person tent
ridge rest standard pad or
suede top airmattress
mattress inflator
REI mumy back

Lexan spork
boyscout style aluminum dining set(for travelling light) or
folding frying pan
small camping stove(now out of commision)
compass
gerber folding shovel/hammer or
small orange trowel(when I want to travel light)
handmade large knife
small pocket knife
swiss card
mini maglight
stainless steel cantine or
plastic cantine
metal mug
chopsticks
coleman rainsuit
8x8 tarp
glowsticks
camptrails leatherman style multitool
teva sandles or
merrel trail runners or
magnum thermalite boots
lighter
hat
jacket
base layer
wicking t-shirt and shorts
sunglasses
20-50 feet of synthetic braded rope
soapcase w/ kirk's castile soap
toilet paper
bandaids
tea
miso soup mix packs
MRE
dutch emergency rations

Edited by MisterMuscaria (01/17/09 04:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9624983 -

Shroomism said:
. I'm sort of a gear snob..
I used to be all about the super-minimalist/lightweight but now I've sort of drifted back to the 'be prepared' mentality.. like carrying shit I don't really "need" like two knives, etc.



I can totally get it. In 5th grade we had a summer course that was supposed to be one of those stereotypical summer camp kind of things.

I brought shit like you guys and everyone thought i was crazy. Decked out in my REI and Mountain Hardware,haha. They said it was going to be kinda rough. I didn't think our normal weekend climbing,or whatever,as kids was like, unimaginably rough to those people.


That shit didn't last too long.

Last year we backpacked in central America. I did it in Beat up,holey Vans high tops,and little more than the stuff mentioned above. Made it so,so much more of an adventure.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: CaptainH13]
    #9624986 -

Ive done it all geared out and Ive done it the gutter punk way.
Im the kinda person who can make do with anything...its just nice to have more to make do with.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: CaptainH13]
    #9624999 -

Yeah I've done the super minimalist thing, when I was living gutter punk style, homeless for a year.
Didn't have much more than a knife, lighters, tarp and clothes. It was an adventure that's for sure.
But I'd rather have the gear to back me up in a situation like that, especially in the wilderness. Although I could make do without, I'd rather have them to make life easier.
But I'm not gonna knock anyone that wants to go super minimalistic extreme. Hey it's less weight to carry.
Of course the most important thing in any situation like that is not what gear you have but what knowledge you have. Although you'd be pretty fucked without a knife, heh.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9625007 -

my life is so stagnant these days, I yearn for that kind of half-creative/Half-desperate adventure like that again.

I'm not knocking being prepared. Just my weird Nostalgia. :ohwell:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: CaptainH13]
    #9625016 -

Being homeless and drifting deffinatley has its perks...
-not having to be anywhere at anytime
-being able to get drunk/high whenever you can afford it
-adventure, adventure, adventure
-bums dont ask you for money because you are a bum too
-you can up and leave the state whenever you want
-you dont have to worry about paying the bills
-no need to shave, cut your hair or even shower


Sometimes I really miss being a homeless, but sometimes when I was homeless I really missed being a housey.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #9625022 -

MisterMuscaria said:
Sometimes I really miss being a homeless, but sometimes when I was homeless I really missed being a housey.



hah, Truer words haven't been spoken.


My hap hazard impossible resolution this year was to have no Obligations( more than nod to that lifestyle). That is the single best part,and Kinda sums up a lot of those reasons you mentioned. I fuckin' despise obligations,and not being able to just get up and leave,or,well, anything.


Sorry to derail the thread guys.

* sometimes i also carry,uh...umm...a headlamp! Yea that'll work.

It's a petzl that uses bulbs,and sucks ass.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Post your gear list! [Re: Shroomism]
    #9655385 -

1 Alice pack
1 Survival Mat
1 Tri-fold Shovel
1 Emergency whistle
3 emergency blankets
1 emergency mirror
1 extra pair of socks
1 First aid kit including coagulators
1 Multi tool
2 2 quart canteens
1 2 quart canteen
3 Rations
1 tri-tent
1 lensatic compass
2 lighters
1 moon beam (flashlight)
1 military baclava
1 GI issued blanket
2 ponchos


I take this whether it's a 3 mile hike or a 3 day hike. Sometimes I may bring a rifle depending on the area and conditions.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Post Your Blade . . .
( 1 2 3 4 ... 49 50 )
gotcha420haha 127,185 996 06/14/26 07:11 PM
by CaptainTrips420
* The Pack Poll: Internal or External
( 1 2 all )
vivid 4,222 20 01/02/06 06:54 PM
by oDin
* Going it alone in the outback
( 1 2 all )
Icelander 2,790 20 01/28/09 03:36 AM
by Shroomeup
* Make your own ultralight gear.
( 1 2 all )
Icelander 3,586 20 01/26/09 09:31 AM
by Icelander
* Food planning for one month in bush
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Quoiyaien 8,619 77 11/26/09 07:19 PM
by chaospilot

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Shroomism, feevers
2,274 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.