Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine?
    #9567282 - 01/07/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This is a website dedicated to a psychoactive drug. Why are so many people completely against psychiatric medicine, also psychoactive drugs. In fact, most antidepressants act on some of the same neurotransmitters as LSD and mushrooms (serotonin, dopamine). It's ridiculous for a person who uses mushrooms to berate another for using an antidepressant.

I understand why people are against folks jumping right on the med wagon. However, a lot of people who use these drugs have already tried every lifestyle change in the book. Many lead happy, succesful lives, but a chemical imbalance takes hold.

Some people don't really understand clinical depression, and they think it is the same as feeling sad. Feeling sad because your girlfriend dumped you, or your dad died, is normal. If you wake up crying in the middle of the night, for no reason, that is different.

I'm sure a lot of you have first-hand experience with these meds, and are against them for that. However, everyone reacts to different drugs differently. Just because medicine didn't work for you, doesn't mean it can't help another.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewickedscepter
Freedom Fighter
Male

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: mantis]
    #9567317 - 01/07/09 08:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nature already gave me all the tools I need to survive.  Medication will never have a part because it is unnecessary.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #9567338 - 01/07/09 08:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They've been a big benefit to me, but they're not for everyone. FTR, I'm not against psych meds.

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #9567395 - 01/07/09 08:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think I'm more likely to pick up on the anti-med sentiment, because they've worked for me too. I admit that I'm biased towards a bio-psychological emphasis, because it's what I study
:malebrain:
The best brain smiley is rather sexual!

--------------------

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: wickedscepter]
    #9567649 - 01/07/09 09:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wickedscepter said:
Nature already gave me all the tools I need to survive.  Medication will never have a part because it is unnecessary.

Yeah, like when Nature gave someone diabetes and then conveniently supplied them with insulin shots.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: wickedscepter]
    #9567661 - 01/07/09 09:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wickedscepter said:

I thought the same thing when I was 18-22, but that all changed. I explored every possibility except depression, because I'm a man and having depression would not be very manly of me.

--------------------

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

#9568037 - 01/07/09 10:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It's ridiculous for a person who uses mushrooms to berate another for using an antidepressant.

ahh don't worry about those judgmental fools, their attitude just goes to show that they got a few loose screws too!

That said, I overcame bipolar disorder by learning how my mind works.

Offlineduster
psychadelicgardener
Male User Gallery

Loc: ARIZONA,TRANSLVANIAA,ETC....
Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: Freedom]
    #9568270 - 01/07/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Freedom said:
Quote:

It's ridiculous for a person who uses mushrooms to berate another for using an antidepressant.

I don't know anybody that uses mushrooms on a regular basis. Who on earth would want to? :eek:

the mushroom god of blue light would send a red light mushroom of death to your mind if you did such :scaryshroom:

--------------------
"Life is created out of the seeking of knowledge."

OfflineJustice_Fish
Fustice_Jish
Male

Loc: CebèuQ
Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: duster]
    #9568367 - 01/07/09 11:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know much about the subject

But for what I have read, psychiatric medicine treats symptoms. Not problems.

(Yeah symptoms can be problems but where do they come from?)

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #9568813 - 01/08/09 01:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Im not against psychiatric medicine, because it can save lives. But i also think it has become a profit driven industry and this has resulted in the meds being way over prescribed. I think a lot of kids are on amphetamines which don't have to be. I think a lot of other people are given mood altering chemicals, some of which are highly addictive and harmful, when they don't really need them and it often makes their problems worse. So i don't think that psychiatric medicine is inherently evil, but i think its often being put to an evil use at the moment.

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: DimensionX]
    #9568873 - 01/08/09 01:57 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The psych community is generally against the use of drugs that we prefer, as well as they almost force those drugs...especially when they can.

It is completely an image of what they don't want and how things are so askew based on their beliefs.........so I am very much against those drugs.

They just don't like how people react to them and I don't like how the drugs they have you must take every day.......that isn't good if you have a bad reaction yet feel motivated to keep taking them.

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: TreeMoss]
    #9569423 - 01/08/09 07:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A few people genuinely need those drugs, and i'm not against that at all. What I do have a problem with is the over-prescription of dangerous psych drugs and people looking for an easy way out of their problems.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: Green_T]
    #9570643 - 01/08/09 12:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

From first hand experiance, I can tell you if you DONT have a dissorder and are put on a cirtain medication, it will fuck you up and spit you out.

"Western Shamanism" wishes to create a pill to make this world perfect. True some may need the medication, but i feel it should be an absolute last resort. And even when psychiatrists make a diagnoses, they need to actually give a shit to what they might be doing to someone. Slapping a label and a prescription on someone can have horrible side effects and its nothing to mess around with :2cents:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (01/08/09 12:29 PM)

InvisibleMyRedrum
Easily Amused
Female User Gallery

Loc: Portland Flag
    #9571063 - 01/08/09 01:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Im' at my last straw, and as much as I don't want to, I'm actually thinking about going back on psych meds.  I have severe anxiety, which in turn leads to depression. 
I'd been doing fine up until the middle of last month, and now my anxiety is messing with my appetite (making me lose a lot of weight and have no real energy) and giving me heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, and generally making me feel awful :frown: 
I don't really have any friends either (another anxiety side-effect) so I feel increasingly alone with my problems.
when I realized that my anxiety just makes me not want to really eat anymore, I knew that I need help...
I've also been dealing with some withdrawal symptoms from an allergy med, and birth control (hormonal) issues on top of all this, which is just too much stress for me to handle right now. 
On top of trying to get back into a school habit, because I bombed out from this same problem in 2006.  :sad:

--------------------
there's someone in my head, but it's not me

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #9571128 - 01/08/09 01:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I am against most pharmaceutical meds. Depressed? Fuck zoloft, take opium, anxiety? opium, restless leg syndrome? opium, nausea? cannabis!

the list goes on

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: aDoS]
    #9572147 - 01/08/09 05:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ritalin is fucking wrong that they give that for ADHD.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9574095 - 01/08/09 09:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't doubt they are very useful in many cases, but there is no question they are prescribed far too casually these days.  I see so many people making threads in this forum asking what drug they can take to address their problem.  It is part of American culture to seek to buy solutions for problems rather than apply effort to them, and I think big pharma has exploited that phenomena unscrupulously. 

I think the vast majority of psychological issues are due to inefficient and addictive thinking patterns, and not chemical imbalances.  A chemical treatment to a nonchemical problem only treats symptoms, leaving the problem intact and the patient dependent on an expensive drug.

I am a proponent of finding the root of mental problems by unraveling thinking patterns and getting to know oneself.  Chemical imbalance or not, any person can improve their life experience tremendously this way.  I do not believe any drug can cure depression, but self-examination can.  I think that for the majority of depression cases, drugs are inappropriate and are a hindrance to recovery.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9574205 - 01/08/09 10:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I recommend music therapy, and from time to time a personal experience with psychedelics.

The last time I was in the funny farm, I looked at the list of the drugs that the doc wanted me to take......it had at least 12 different drugs, some of which were far to heavy.........I just didn't have to do much, it was what I expected and it was even more of an impression of what a joke the whole business is......really more of a law, the way that people want to view drugs, the mind and the well.....if humans have one a soul.

I walked out a week later, with a paper that the doc said that I was a schizophrenic.......well, what ever; probably and I mean probably as really likely a schizotypal personality........a pretty big difference when the details come around.

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9575853 - 01/09/09 07:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I feel what you are saying whiskey clone, western science seems to put everything down to physically oriented problems and therefore only treats the symptoms.

For instance with schizophrenics the drug they give them is just like a mental straight jacket when this is not needed. Better to help the paranoid shizophrenic face up to their internal selves. If you have ADHD they will give you ritalin when meditation is clearly a much better alternative. Psychosomatic back pain? Codeine/Hydromorphone. The list goes on.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is The Shroomery generally against psychiatric medicine? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9576459 - 01/09/09 11:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck teaching a person w/ severe ADHD to meditate!

I agree that medicine is overprescribed in this country. I think it's mostly patient preference, many people would rather take a pill than change their diet and lifestyle. However, you can't let that fact detract from the people who genuninely need these medications.

For what it's worth, the first things a psychiatrist usually asks you are:
- what is your diet?
- are you getting enough sleep?
- is there a major event in your life that may actually be causing feelings of depression?

When they prescribe medication, they will usually recommend you also seek counseling, usually in the form of cognitive behavioral therapy. In severe cases of mental illness, a combination of medication and therapy are usually the most effective treatments.

Re: music therapy
Playing bass guitar is therapy for me!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies