Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Social Anxiety SUCKS
    #9241461 -

I seem to have a case of social anxiety. Whenever I am around more than the people I really know well I freeze up and get all quiet. I don't know what to say next and just feel awkward. I feel as if everyone is criticizing me and can clearly see my "anxiety" or whatever you want to call it. I do smoke weed on a daily basis, but I love it. But only if I am by myself or with a really close friend (I have like 4 I feel "myself" around. I guess I should cut it out for while and see what happens. It sucks because I feel like I am truly a fun and interesting person, but I just cannot express it. Sorry for the rant.


--------------------
God.WEEN.Satan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9241981 -

Has it always been like this?
90% of the time it's the pot making you feel this way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9242112 -

Its not uncommon for weed to effect your social interaction in a nagative way. In my experience it was a clear long-term effect of regular smoking. Try stopping for a month, or cutting down drastically and you will notice a difference. It will take some time for your head to get used to processing things differently, to stop over analyzing. Confidence will increase.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: lukey2411]
    #9243170 -

lukey2411 said:
90% of the time it's the pot making you feel this way.



You've got to chose between this drug and your ability to relate with people.  In the short term, the pot makes you feel good, but in the long time it just fucks you up.  People, on the other hand, might make you feel awkward or nervous in the short term, but in the long term, happiness is only real when shared. 

I encourage you to take affirmative steps to quit smoking.  I was a daily smoker in college, then I decided I would only smoke with other people, not have my own stash.  Then I decided I'd only smoke late nights and concerts.  That's pretty much where I'm at now--I smoke maybe once every two months (more in the summer), and it's really helped my ability to relate to others and feel confortable in my own skin. 

Just cut back, one step at a time, see how it goes.  Step one is to get rid of your own stash and stop buying though.  You've got to do that.

As debilitating as social anxiety is now, it's going to become a bigger problem as you get older.


--------------------
_______________________________________________________________
namaste said:
no flamz in da ODD, if you got nothing to contribute then keep yo lips zipped
_________________________________________________________________

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9243205 -

In my opinion, you can't feel like others are criticizing you unless you are criticizing yourself.

I did not make any progress in this area until I changed the way I think about others.  I used to be quite critical in my head about the way others behave, and doing that made me critical of myself.  I was only able to begin to accept my own faults until I began to accept others as they are.  You can't do one without the other, IMO.  What do you think about other people in general?

You can improve social aptitude by stepping out of your comfort zone regularly.  Be the one who initiates the conversation, at least once every day.  What was once uncomfortable can become comfortable.  In my experience, weed makes this very difficult to do.  I would not expect much to change if you are stoned when you are trying to improve these skills.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9243515 -

Like most the posts say just cut back or quit weed for awhile.  Or if you drink when smoking it once in awhile that can help the social fears.  I gave up a long time ago going and smoking weed with a lot of people I didn't know.  I hated sitting around each  other and everyone fearing the same social awkwardness that is natural to feel, just that the weed amplifies.
Or you can take meth and you won't stop getting to know new people or have conversations.


--------------------
finality [faɪˈnælɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the condition or quality of being final or settled; conclusiveness.
2. a final or conclusive act

Long live the Shroomery and I'm done with it.:toast:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS *DELETED* [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9249955 -

Post deleted by Robert Jarvik

Reason for deletion: ...



--------------------
-

Edited by Robert Jarvik (11/15/08 03:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: Robert Jarvik]
    #9256496 -

Thanks for the replies.....I am going to try not to smoke Monday-Thursday first and see how that goes....hopefully it will help some. I also know it is just not the cannabis, I have had minor social anxiety problems all my life. The cannabis definitely does not help though.


--------------------
God.WEEN.Satan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9256522 -

WhiskeyClone said:
In my opinion, you can't feel like others are criticizing you unless you are criticizing yourself.




that is very fucking true


--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9256773 -

WhiskeyClone said:
You can improve social aptitude by stepping out of your comfort zone regularly.  Be the one who initiates the conversation, at least once every day.



The idea of doing this scares me. I guess that means I should do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: Quarryman]
    #9256816 -

please pardon copy of post in "too many shrooms" but seems relevant here

...an edited part of my History:
--------------------------------------
I'm from the "hippie"-generation and went through this shit starting in 1966

...We will leave out the year 1966-67 when I practically never came down from either LSD, pot, or hash...which was followed by some relatively "normal" times, and take up in the '70s...

...It took me a long time to get it thru my head, that the severe emotional pain and awkwardness wasn't worth the slim chance of a grass high, or being "one of the gang".
...If my Zen teacher hadn't told me one day, in the 70s out of the blue to stop. I might have foolishly tortured myself, a lot more, for many more years, off and on, trying to overcome what I perceived as a weakness in myself, by joining in a smoke when one was available.

...However by the time I stopped I was subject to very occasional random bouts of feeling as if people were talking about me, in negative disparaging ways, even when not high.
...Eventually I didn't smoke anymore, but was still occasionally subject to these feelings. They were accompanied by a contracting cringing powerless feeling.
...this finally became so painful I sought therapy. The first therapist was scared when I used the word "paranoid" and refereed me to another therapist.
...He wasn't scared, related to me as a person, and started me on the road to expressing feelings via some Gestalt techniques.
...It was not an instant cure. I felt if I stuck with him for years it would gradually help me change in many ways, but it was very expensive.
...At one point,  I took the step of actually asking people if they were talking about me in veiled ways. Was that ever difficult. That going against the flow.
But I had taken a stand--I was no longer a passive victim of unspoken feelings.
Over the years I did various therapies and meditation and time passed and the incidents decreased.

----------

One time I was in a car with a couple and we were all going to go out for breakfast, and they started discussing / arguing about what restaurant to go to. And I felt they were making fun of me in an indirect way, for not being a participant--for not being a responsible grownup and contributing. I decided not to be a victim and asked them if they were making fun of me. Of course they weren't.

Some years later they got divorced, and then I wondered if my subconscious wasn't picking up on something deeper than they were aware of, ie. their own pain.

And eventually I put two and two together and remembered about how horrible it was for me and my sister to go out to eat for dinner with our parents when we were little and they played head games about where to eat. My father was a overly intellectual narcissist and my mother a passive-aggressive depressed type. So the unresolved childhood pain was triggered, by a parallel present time event.

==============================

not a unique problem
--------------------------

Generally "the counterculture" equates Pot smoking with coolness.

...However many recent posts here seem to validate that marijuana use over a period of time becomes, for a measurable percentage of users, a cause of social anxiety. Or a contributing or magnifying factor.

...( I suspect previous levels of social "adjustment", "self esteem", happiness, and sexual satisfaction all modify the effect ganja has on the individual.
...Since many people begin pot use at a young age when they are naturally still dealing with solving these complicated social and identity issues, they are naturally vulnerable to a drug (actually a mixture) which plays games with heads.
...Also those who are drawn to rebel are almost by definition not socially "adjusted".)

---------

scientific research
-----------------------

"Cannabis use has been assessed by several studies to be correlated with the development of anxiety, psychosis and depression,[66][67]"

from wikipedia, see link for context and references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marajuana#cite_note-67

=======================
personal opinion
---------------------

...It seems to me that unless, we have had the blessing of a meditation teacher, some therapy, artistic expression, or at least some psychology study,  we are unprepared to process the stored pains of childhood. It would seem both pot and marriage ( a situation which parallels childhood, except the roles have been switched) have the potential to open Pandora's box of traumas.
...So many find themselves, in adult life, in the USA, divorced, or in some form of 12 step program,  wondering how they got there.
...IMO especially Capitalist, but also Communist & in general "civilized" society does not provide a structure for individuals to harmonize their feelings, the way tribal dances for example probably do.  ---skip items below in parentheses for flow if you like -----

...(Our Western educational system is  outward success oriented...etc., and the main religions: Judaism and Christianity steeped in morality, guilt and emotional repression. Although I suppose, very loosely speaking,  the southern warmer Italians, and Brazilians etc. inspite of being Christian are better off in this department, than the norther English and Scandinavians. So climate may be a factor in emotional health as well--I don't know.)

...( However whatever society and our past may have done to us, we find ourselves conscious in the present, with choices. Probably many of those who experiment with marijuana and stronger psychedelics are disaffected with society. Through the use of psychedelic sacraments we see more clearly what is wrong with the world, and are excited by our possibilities. However with passing time pot becomes the drug of choice because it is more manageable than acid or shrooms. Because it is more manageable, available, and others are doing it one may use it more and more. Unfortunately for many it is Basically a Passive Experience. So what was once a gift in moderation ( when treated as a sacrament), eventually (when taken for granted) becomes so to speak a "parasite" of ones initiative, accomplishment, and so on...
(sort of like: all desserts and no main course?)
However...we, like it or not,  find ourselves conscious in the present, with choices, and the ability to changes, make use of  gifts and accept the possibilities of actually manifesting ...)

...The best many can do is go to a sporting event where yelling and shouting is socially acceptable, without having a clue that they are most likely venting some of the pressure of  their repressed feelings and pain.---Not quite what the media, advertisers, and business want us to believe...and last but not least, and not complete without mention,:  why is there always another generation ready to go to war, anywhere and every where Throughout All of Human History? Obviously the "Governments Think" and the Weapons Makers think that it benefits Them--but why do the young men go? Could repressed childhood rage possibly have anything to do with this? Probably harder to answer this question than to stop smoking and find some really interesting challenges and creative activities and ways to participate...but who knows?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9257567 -

WhiskeyClone said:
In my opinion, you can't feel like others are criticizing you unless you are criticizing yourself...



He's exactly right. You have to be proud of who you are and what you do. This means you will have to work for a change in your life. For me, it was getting healthy. Learn to cook good, healthy food, exercise, organize your stuff, set goals. If you can do all of that you will certainly feel better and can smoke comfortably again, although it is best to cut back and then give it up completely for a couple months.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: ChiefGreenLeaf]
    #9257570 -

Social anxiety rocks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9258299 -

I think honesty can help. Don't try and be anything your not, just relax and be yourself. Being honest is the most natural and easiest way to be, because its who you truly are. Its when you try and appear a certain way to others that things become confusing and you start worrying about maintaining that appearance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: Quarryman]
    #9261044 -

Quarryman said:
WhiskeyClone said:
You can improve social aptitude by stepping out of your comfort zone regularly.  Be the one who initiates the conversation, at least once every day.



The idea of doing this scares me. I guess that means I should do it.



:yesnod:

Fear can be useful.  It's a big flashing sign that alerts you of opportunities to get stronger.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9262625 -

less weed + more alcohol = _social!_
but not too much, then ur a lush.

hay, I like the word "panic" better than "anxiety" or "fear" cuz it's etymologically derived from the god, Pan.

"Pan is the one who ignites the torch of Lucifer, which brings forth the black flame. Pan is the one who creeps up behind, sprinkling gasoline on ones back and flicks sparkling matches at you. Not because for the fact that he hates you, but just to get one's attention… to get you to wake up and for once, take your existence or subsistence seriously."
--from book description for Pan Paradox by Vexior218

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Social Anxiety SUCKS [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #18722911 -

hope you start to feel better man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* fighting my social anxiety....
( 1 2 all )
shr00m 7,744 28 06/23/03 05:06 PM
by Anonymous
* results of battling out my social anxiety..... shr00m 3,005 10 08/18/13 01:36 PM
by nhmi
* Social anxiety, Laziness, Changing old habits...
( 1 2 all )
Dreamer987 7,905 36 08/18/13 01:37 PM
by Anonymous
* Dealing with social anxiety
( 1 2 all )
tomk 5,683 25 05/29/05 01:50 PM
by p4kSouL
* Social Anxiety from HELL
( 1 2 3 4 all )
XUL 8,446 61 08/18/13 01:31 PM
by nhmi
* Best drug for social anxiety (help please)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Mickel 17,979 63 05/21/03 09:00 PM
by SBTlauien
* Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety Mickel 3,094 17 06/12/03 06:43 AM
by Cracka_X
* Social Anxiety Ponderings Adden 1,664 14 01/08/05 02:15 PM
by Sinbad

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
2,046 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.