Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Asleep
    #9190295 -

What would you do if you knew that you were basically asleep in terms of consciousness, but you had no tools to waking up? Would you invent a strategy? Hope for something to come a long at some point that would wake you up?

If I found myself in a nightmare, I would try to remember my body. What could the parallel to this be in the waking world?

Is it just a matter of time?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #9190542 -

Just wait it out.  Wait long enough in a dream, and you will inevitably wake up.  Wait long enough in waking life and...

Well, you know what happens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #9194269 -

EternalCowabunga said:
What would you do if you knew that you were basically asleep in terms of consciousness, but you had no tools to waking up? Would you invent a strategy? Hope for something to come a long at some point that would wake you up?

If I found myself in a nightmare, I would try to remember my body. What could the parallel to this be in the waking world?

Is it just a matter of time?



This post makes no sense. First you say you have no tools and then you describe the use of them.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #9194338 -

In Buddhism, it's taught that waking life IS essentially like a dream.  We are all having the same dream, essentially. 

It is also taught that this human realm is the ideal realm for awakening.  There are other realms - the hell realms, the realm of hungry ghosts, the animal realms, the demigod realms and the god realms - where essentially, even if we had some idea that there was a higher awakening to be had, we would be totally unable to work toward that awakening.  It could possibly be said that these realms are psychological realms, as well, and that when we are caught in them we are without tools for awakening.  If we think we have become gods, that there is something great or eternal about us, we cannot awaken.  If we are caught in our animal fears or irrational desires, we cannot awaken.

But the good thing is that everything is impermanent, all realms are impermanent, so through virtuous action we find birth in the human realm - the Here & Now - and awaken.

Redgreenvines said something interesting recently, which was that the goal is not to awaken out of the dream, but to bring wisdom into it.....:yinyang:


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Lion]
    #9194411 -

I like what the Buddha said but I think Buddhists often don't have a clue what they are talking about.

There is no evidence that the human realm is "better" for awakening. In fact I think this is obviously incorrect. All the cats I know are fully awake and enlightened as far as I can tell.

You realize you are passing along superstitions right?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Icelander]
    #9202294 -

i wouldnt call it superstitions, unless you call all religious scripture superstition, then yes... you are right.

icelander, do you meditate? and are you saying that there is nothing more then what meets the eye?

Edited by Platinum (11/07/08 02:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202452 -

So far, in my life, there has been nothing more than has met my eye.

Isn't that enough, it's almost endless, what need for more?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Icelander]
    #9202454 -

I meditate to relax. It works well for that.:thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Icelander]
    #9202470 -

I meditate to remember where I left my goddamn car keys! :hissyfit:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9202530 -

IME meditating has helped me realize that there is more than meets the eye. My beliefs entertain me, gives me something to think about on a daily basis, and gives me some sort of personal moral system to live by. I don't want to go off topic with this, but if theres not more than what meets the eye, what's the point of life? You don't necessarily have to answer that, just something to think about. That would be an entire different thread which I'm sure has been up on the forum 100s of times lol.

Edited by Platinum (11/07/08 02:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202539 -

than not then :rolleyes:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9202556 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
than not then :rolleyes:



???

lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202558 -

but if theres not more then what meets the eye, what's the point of life?

To actually become awake enough to live it. Life is pretty spactacular really.

"There is always more to everything" -DJ


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202566 -

An awake meditative engineer knows the difference.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Icelander]
    #9202574 -

good answer.

I think there's more to the picture than the time you actually spend in waking reality though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Icelander]
    #9202590 -

Quote:
Life is pretty spackletacular really.






It sure is!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202595 -

Platinum said:
good answer.

I think there's more to the picture than the time you actually spend in waking reality though.




I love more than any other experince in my life, the life I have lived in one of my infrequent, lucid dreams.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9202600 -

:rofl2: You got me with that one.:thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: Platinum]
    #9202644 -

Quote:
I think there's more to the picture than the time you actually spend in waking reality though.



Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

My mission here is accomplished and now I am free to move on.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Asleep [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9206304 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:
I think there's more to the picture than the time you actually spend in waking reality though.



Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

My mission here is accomplished and now I am free to move on.



lol what? youre welcome?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* This realm is hell
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Poid 3,617 92 12/07/08 06:50 PM
by burgatory
* lucid dreaming: an entrance to another realm popdewman 2,400 16 09/12/02 12:30 PM
by infidelGOD
* buddhism impermanence Enthrall 846 14 04/24/10 07:03 PM
by theMallacht
* Logic as a coping strategy
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
AsanteM 12,260 100 06/18/08 11:18 PM
by Rose
* SUPERstitions
( 1 2 all )
Mr. Mushrooms 2,516 23 06/09/10 01:13 PM
by Mr. Mushrooms
* Superstition - By Stevie Wonder Poid 911 4 10/02/16 08:23 AM
by Jokeshopbeard
* Christianity, Democracy, Hero Worship, & Superstition lines 511 0 02/15/09 07:26 PM
by lines
* The Impermanence of the Material
( 1 2 all )
RRRR 2,446 30 08/25/06 09:23 PM
by DinahTheCat

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,035 topic views. 0 members, 17 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.