Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCzar
Stranger

north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps?
    #8768424 - 08/13/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ryt well iv sat and researched liberty caps for a while now, and now thats its around ther growing time i thort id go out hunting. been out once or twice and i came across a cuple of these wen i was just passing a horse feild, but didnt geta chance to pic more, btw i live in north east england.

habitat: open grass land with grazing cattle,
date and time: august 13 around 12 in the moring,
weather: had been raining for a few days and was raining wen found,
description: browny grey, long thin wavy soild stem(not hollow), dark gills, slight nipple,slimy wen touched, 
spore print: black 

on the two pics it looks very dome shaped (although it isnt very bell shaped it was squashed in the bag)i had started drying them wen i took the pic.

sorri about the long post hope some one can help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Czar]
    #8768765 - 08/13/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If they're not dried yet, can you wrap the stem around your finger a few times without it snapping? When you picked it, was it pretty solid rooted? You can grab them from right under the cap and pull them up and the whole root should come right out because the stem is pretty strong for liberty caps. But uh, I heard you should just use scissors though to conserve the species in the area. Whatevs.

Anyway, no pics? You should do some spore prints.

Edited by Nihlus (08/13/08 03:23 PM)

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Czar]
    #8768799 - 08/13/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

obviously you haven't researched that well, because it is not the right time of year yet...
it's still too warm...

i have been picking liberty caps successfully for over 10 years and i have never seen them fruit at this time of year (not in quantites worth picking anyway)
the season usually kicks off at the end of september and it is in full swing during october and november until we have had a few frosts.

i think you are 6 weeks too early but upload the pics to your gallery here and then add them to your post for id confirmation.

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#8768983 - 08/13/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

your other (duplicate) thread with the pics has been deleted it seems, but i did look at the pics before that happened and i can't confirm what they are from those pics, sorry...

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineCzar
Stranger

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8769115 - 08/13/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Nihlus,
yes i can still rap them round my finger not sure if im drying them rite( so any help one that will be apreasheated, and yes the stem was quite tough wen i first picked it a little like a twig and i sniped it with my nails insted of pulling it out so i dont damage the root sytem incase it is libs. btw i did do a spore print and it was jet black.

uarewotueat
no bother ill upload some new pics soon, like like i sed tho i didnt get a chance to see how many there were in the feild ther may have only been a fewthank for the info on the picking times.

OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Loc: PNW
    #8769216 - 08/13/08 04:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If I'm not mistaken, liberty cap spore prints are supposed to be brown or purple.

Offlinechaos05
Stranger

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Nihlus]
    #8769438 - 08/13/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Edit: corrected for stupidity, brown spore print evidently

Edited by chaos05 (08/14/08 01:42 AM)

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: chaos05]
    #8769578 - 08/13/08 05:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

more like brown IME, never black.

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8769603 - 08/13/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineCzar
Stranger

#8772161 - 08/14/08 05:58 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ok thanx to the lot of u guys im guessin they just rnt them, thanx for the help be bac on at a later date,when iv be out hunting again.

InvisibleBaeosistine
ڜڭۑۄڴڡڟژۻۼئٹ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: England
    #8772764 - 08/14/08 11:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I know someone who found liberty caps last week. Due to the weather we have had this summer it is perfectly possible to find liberty caps in August.

--------------------
jesus

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Baeosistine]
    #8773486 - 08/14/08 02:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

pics or it didn't happen.

of course it is possible to find any type of mushroom fruiting out of season, but not in quantities worth picking...

fair enough we have had enough rain, but it's still too warm for liberty caps to fruit.
unless your friend lives on the top of a mountain in the north of scotland...

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineSalvia England
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8782859 - 08/16/08 03:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Liberty caps do appear at this time of year if the temp drops and there is rain for a few days (high altitude is best like you said for early season and further north the better). although you could be surprised as low down as 250m in favored spots! (North England) I have seen them on many occasions around this time of year or a few weeks later, enough to make it worth while.

Not seen any this year but I am not looking!

Edited by Salvia England (08/16/08 03:57 PM)

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: Salvia England]
    #8783292 - 08/16/08 06:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Salvia England said:
Liberty caps do appear at this time of year if the temp drops and there is rain for a few days (high altitude is best like you said for early season and further north the better). although you could be surprised as low down as 250m in favored spots! (North England) I have seen them on many occasions around this time of year or a few weeks later, enough to make it worth while.

Not seen any this year but I am not looking! 

pics or it didn't happen :tongue:

anyway, if i have time this week i'm going to go out to my spot which ranges from 300m - 350m above sea level to see what is going on...
i doubt i will find much, but i will report back...
and no doubt my spot is a fruitful as any, so if they are growing anywhere at this time of year it will be there, go look in my gallery and you will see :wink:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineCzar
Stranger

#9356906 - 12/03/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

hey mate,
havnt been on hre for a while iv been abroad for ages no,
did find somehting i believe to be shrooms b4 i went so theyve been dryin for quite some tym now lol,

found in a feild always used by horses loads of shitt

around mid septermber had been raing alot beforhand

very long stem quite strong and rigered

goldny yellow cap same but little lighter on the stem darker as it gets towards the gills

dark brown gills

has the classic lib nipple too

didnt get a chance to get a spore print since i was away missed the rest od the season too

hope you can help me with this iv been realy exited hoping that these r libs eva since i went away

sorri about the long msg and sorri about the pics, quality sucks had to use my mobile

cheers mate,

Tom

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

#9356927 - 12/03/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yep thats them.Hope you have a lot more than what's in the picture

--------------------

OfflineCzar
Stranger

Re: north england shrrom hunter, first time not sure whether ther liberty caps? [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #9357265 - 12/03/08 11:15 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

cheers mate,
and saddly i only have 19 lyk is ed i missed the season,
cant wait till next year now lol,
thanks for the id

Tom

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract