Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineo0Shroomz0o
Stranger
Someone with knowledge please respond quick
    #791518 - 08/01/02 07:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

im going to make and boil my substrate tomorrow so i need to know a few things.

1) Can i put my a layer of foil over the 1/2 inch layer of vermiculite to help aid in sterilation.

2) Can i make my substrate and steralize it several days before my spore syringe arrives in the mail.

3) Can the insides of an oven actually be used as a sterile area

4) what can i use as a cheap method of adding oxygen and humidity besides fanning and spraying my grown chamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: Someone with knowledge please respond quick [Re: o0Shroomz0o]
    #791532 - 08/01/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

1: Don't get creative just follow the pf tek to a T
2: You could, but I'd just make it the day before
3: I wouldn't trust it. I'd wipe down my workspace with alchohol, and spray lysol everywhere. A dust mask and latex gloves wouldn't hurt either.
4. Oxygen - air pump (put an air stone and drop it in a jar of h20 & h202 and it will raise humidity too)
Humidity - perlite

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Edited by TeRzMaStA (08/01/02 07:56 PM)

Anonymous

#791542 - 08/01/02 07:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

1. Layer of foil? What do you mean? Mix up however much substrate you'll need, then LOOSELY spoon it in jars. Then cover with a 1/4 inch straight, dry verm. Then put the top on (with 4 holes punched in the lid and quality masking tape covering them up). Put the band on loosely. Boil at a low boil for one hour, making sure that the jars are somehow held off the bottom of the pot and water is not splashing into them. Also the lid of the pot must fit nice and tight. If you do all that, you can't go wrong.

2. You can indeed sterilize your substrate ahead of time. After it is cooled, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it in the refridgerator (remember to let it warm before inoculating), but this is probably not necessary.

3. The insides of the oven can indeed be used as a sterile area. Put the oven at its lowest heat setting, then allow it to warm to that. Pull the top shelf out and use that as your work area. The stream of hot air will ward off contaminants.

4. Perlite. Get some perlite ($5 a big bag at any hardware or garden store) and put an inch of it in the bottom of your terrarium. Keep it nice and moist with a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. It'll keep your humidity just right. All you need to do is fan your terrarium 3 to 4 times a day and occasionally add more hydrogen peroxide.

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: Someone with knowledge please respond quick [Re: ]
    #791553 - 08/01/02 08:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think putting the jars in the fridge would be a good idea. The refridgerator is loaded with contaminants.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinegirlskater
***meow***

Loc: Here
    #791601 - 08/01/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Theorietically (sorry can't spell) you CAN sterilize jar, and the contents in the jar SHOULD be sterile. I used to work at a vet clinic and their reusable stuff that needs to be sterile could be sterilized months ago. As long as there are no leaks they're ok.
HOWEVER, I have had some "sterile" jars that's gone bad. But there is an explanation. Better if you make the jars with the syinges on hand. 'Cause then you would have a shorter time period between sterilization and inoculation. Less time for yuckies to try to get into the jars.
As for the humidity business. I used to spray.
But I found perlite. Personally I find it SO easy using perlite. And if you're a cheapo like me, they're reusable.
I just use perlite in those "mini green houses" that's for seed germination and humidification is done by itself.
I actually found that the more I fussed with the mushrooms, the more problems... maybe not problems... but they didn't seem to grow as well.
So I don't deal with how humid or temps, etc.
Afterall, mushrooms do grow in outside of a terrarium.
HOWEVER... in the initial stages, you DO have to be careful. Once they become full grown cakes, they can handle it.

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #791667 - 08/01/02 09:51 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This one too please... *CLICK*

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #791691 - 08/01/02 10:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Someone with knowledge please respond quick [Re: Anno]
    #791694 - 08/01/02 10:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

you forgot to lock it!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Someone with knowledge please respond quick [Re: TM]
    #791696 - 08/01/02 10:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I won?t.
I locked only the double posts.

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
    #792030 - 08/02/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, five posts and they are all the same thing! Didn't you see the popup when you first logged in? I cannot believe how lazy some people are! Read, then read some more, if you then have questions ask them here (after a search that is) Good luck anyway

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale