Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows"
    #7694762 - 11/29/07 01:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i've heard a ton of people going on about radiohead's "in rainbows" and how it's internet release is so revolutionary. people i know who wouldn't even listen to radiohead are blurting out about how genius it is to give out an album for free.

but how revolutionary is it really?

certainly this can't be the first time this has happened. from what i recall, talib kweli and madlib released their "liberation" album in it's entirety last year. surely this can't be that big of a deal since both artists have signed and released on major labels time and time again.

what makes radiohead so bold and brilliant in comparison? because they sell more units? obviously, a group who charges $50 a ticket doesn't need the money - whereas i could see cats like talib and madlib struggling in comparison. i think it's just a lil more heroic to give out an album altogether for free digitally than to have the consumer CHOSE to pay for it - especially when you don't make an insane amount of money doing world tours.

this post isn't intended to be a shot at any artist at all. the argument of the recording being good or not isn't quite the issue. it's more of a question of why radiohead in particular is getting so much credit for doing something that had, in alot of ways, had already been done before.

final note - talib kweli & madlib's "liberation" was released briefly afterwards on cd and vinyl. i think that by granting people a digital copy of the album that it was ultimately up to the consumer to decide whether they would want to purchase the final product. whether "in rainbows" is a better album than "liberation" or whether radiohead is a better artist than kweli and madlib isn't where this argument should go, either.

surely this has happened before with other artists.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: FleaAccela]
    #7694779 - 11/29/07 01:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Liberation was from two "smaller" artists (not many people are on Radiohead's level), and it also was made specifically to be free. Radiohead didn't release their album for free. They released their album, separate from any record label, for the price the listener wanted to pay. It could be a big deal because such a major artist doing this could change the way the recording industry works. You saw Trent Reznor doing similar things shortly after Radiohead did it, and I think more artists may do it as well if they're unhappy with their labels.

It really matters how big Radiohead, that's what makes it so different. Madlib, while he is fucking amazing, isn't huge mainstream. Talib, more so, but the average rap listener is probably just going to see "Talib Kweli and some producer I don't know" and think, okay, nothing amazing but I'll grab it for free. Definitely not the case with Radiohead.

--------------------
!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: jewunit]
    #7694825 - 11/29/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

understood. however, both artists are technically major label artists. radiohead, from what i understand, are in between contracts and not even signed to a record label right now, arent they? that would technically label them as independant artists who are able to release whatever they want to at their own free will, so of course they can pull this stunt.

sure, radiohead is big. trent is big, too. i'll give you this much - it might be revolutionary, but i'd hardly say it's an original concept.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7694833 - 11/29/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say it's pretty original.
A major artist breaking free from a record label and releasing an album that allows the buyer to pay whatever they want.
If you can tell me where someone else did that, then by all means, do.

By the way, I don't know if Stones Throw counts as a major label.

--------------------
!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#7694870 - 11/29/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

stones throw doesnt count as a major label. but how about:

blue note
capitol
emi
loud/bmg
def jam
warner brothers
sanctuary/rawkus (owned by universal)

though the majority of his work appears through stones throw, let's just say if you produce a track for an artist who has an album with a major label, you're officially a major label producer.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7694919 - 11/29/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Radiohead signed to XL Recordings a couple weeks back in order to release a physical CD copy of In Rainbows, I believe ATO will be handling U.S. distribution.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7695156 - 11/29/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Who'd he do for Blue Note?
Or is that the Blue Note session CD?

--------------------
!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#7695529 - 11/29/07 04:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#7695535 - 11/29/07 04:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

releasing free music isnt new. check out jamendo for some great up and coming artists that are giving their music away.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7695577 - 11/29/07 04:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

A simple yes would have sufficed.

--------------------
!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

#7695793 - 11/29/07 05:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the cover is hella cool tho :grin:

--------------------

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #7696053 - 11/29/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i thought trent reznor did it before radiohead did.

like a year before.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: truekimbo2]
    #7696665 - 11/29/07 08:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

No, Trent Reznor came out after Radiohead did it and said "that's a great idea, I'm going to do that too."

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7698650 - 11/30/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

its completely different with radiohead.
They are... a huge band.
Its completely different with talib kweli and madlib.
those are very much major underground rappers.
Theyre not in the mainstream of "rap" today.
You will NEVER hear either one of them on any of the "hip hop" stations here in Dallas.

Radiohead on the other hand is a friggin giant band.
Theyre reaching Pink Floyd status with their timeless albums and creativity.
They get more and more popular with each album.
Their last album was a huge success, and this new album was very, very highly anticipated.
People were waiting for news and checking up on it for 2 years.
And they came out with the news that it would be the free dowload deal just 8 days before the album was released, with no news of the album or even the name of it before then. I figured itd be released winter or spring 2008.

there is a huge difference.

do you not get this?

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: plexus]
    #7699305 - 11/30/07 02:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

plexus said:
You will NEVER hear either one of them on any of the "hip hop" stations here in Dallas.

They were both on 106 & Park not too long ago together.
Madlib sounded completely out of his element, it was el oh el.

--------------------
!

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #7699367 - 11/30/07 02:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think its overhyped, though perhaps the artists you mentioned were underhyped. You want credit where it is due, but how often do musicians really get what they deserve in context of artistic merit?

IMO radiohead gets the credit they deserve and thats not a bad thing. The lack of reception elsewhere is no reason to hate on radiohead.

Revolutionary implies a social relationship, and this includes the large following radiohead has. You cant start a revolution in your bedroom.

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
    #7701713 - 12/01/07 02:40 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This argument is lame and pointless. The real point to all this is that it was a big FUCK you to the record industry. An industry that over charges for their product and gives the Artist very little.

Lets face it, the time of walking into a store and buying an album is coming to an end. If you can purchase the music at a fraction of the cost of store bought CD and burn it your self or put it on an MP3 player, the not only do the consumers win, but so do the artist.

Also on another note, if artist are able to make more money by releasing their music this way, then concert ticket prices might also drop. Since now a days the only way artist actually make money is by performing.

No Raidohead isn't the first group to release music this way, but its such a big deal because of Raidoheads "status" in the music world. They are one of the best bands out their creating music and for them to support this idea paves way for other big artist to do the same. I think its an awesome thing and I hope the trend continues, and I hope the money hungry corporations have to change their ways.

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: the overhype of the digital release of "in rainbows" [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #7702249 - 12/01/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

daytripper23 said:The lack of reception elsewhere is no reason to hate on radiohead.

no hate directed towards radiohead whatsoever. they're one of the greats of our day. all respect due.

Quote:

TrippinTeddy said:
This argument is lame and pointless.

No it's not. It's helping me understand what's going on, actually. Your post, along with everyone else's, has given me a clearer idea of what's going on. Yes, they sell more units, so it IS a big deal. Seriously. I suppose when you look at it, okay, the top of the underground does something and a band who continuously releases #1 records does something similar. It may not be new, no, but it certainly is revolutionary.

Now I know why.

Quote:

TrippinTeddy said:
The real point to all this is that it was a big FUCK you to the record industry. An industry that over charges for their product and gives the Artist very little.

No Raidohead isn't the first group to release music this way, but its such a big deal because of Raidoheads "status" in the music world. They are one of the best bands out their creating music and for them to support this idea paves way for other big artist to do the same. I think its an awesome thing and I hope the trend continues, and I hope the money hungry corporations have to change their ways.

However...

Quote:

TrippinTeddy said:
Lets face it, the time of walking into a store and buying an album is coming to an end. If you can purchase the music at a fraction of the cost of store bought CD and burn it your self or put it on an MP3 player, the not only do the consumers win, but so do the artist.

Not really. Though digital sales in the future are going to be without question a big deal, there are still many people out there who purchase physical copies of the music. People like myself who enjoy holding something in their hands. I think the more that digital sales increase, so will vinyl sales.

I read an article somewhere recently *I think* on Billboard where they were talking about how vinyl sales from 2006 where at an all time high and they were rising alongside digital sales.

But here's something a lil interesting:
https://tv.ku.edu/news/2006/02/27/vinyl-sales-rising-despite-lagging-record-industry/

"According to the Recording Industry Association of America, vinyl sales have doubled in percentage of music sales since 2000 to become a $110-million-dollar industry. Since that same year, overall music sales dropped to $12.2 billion from $14.4 billion, a plunge that the vinyl industry escaped without a scratch."

Though the vinyl market represents less than a fraction of the music industry's sales, there's no question that people still want physical copies in their hands. The art, the linear notes, something they can have forever and not lose as easily as a digital file when they buy a new computer or accidentally delete. Virus' happen, hard drives get burned, digital music will be lost. People who still buy music are people who are delicate and careful with their stuff.

So the physical copies being obsolete will never be an issue. The reality of the stuff being pressed, whether it's vinyl, cd's or whatever being on a much smaller scale though is a serious reality the RIAA has to look forward to.

In this respect, I think indy label's have alot to look forward to.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates