Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
My thoughts on Music, Digital Media, and Filesharing
    #2080660 - 11/07/03 10:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The digital age has, imo, drastically cheapened music media. Starting right after Naptser got their balls busted I decided to no longer purchase new CDs. I will occasionally buy used CDs but I primarily "invest" in vinyl.

Vinyl has a higher inital cost and is more costly to maintain but over a long term not only holds it value but appreciates on a scale digital media can never compete with. I am a firm beliver that if I own an album then i have a right by fair use to make/obtain copies of those songs to use instead of putting unneccessary wear and tear on my vinyl.

From what I can tell, the RIAA sees the actual act of filesharing to be illegal although there is not yet a legal precedent concerning the specifics. While we all know that downloading a song you do not "own" is illegal how can one accept that using digital media for media preservation and portability of music that is "owned" could be illegal? I proudly share my files and vainly hope that the RIAA sends me a C&D or subpoena. I'm prepared to help make the legal precedent we all need.

Many times I buy vinyl with no intention of opening it. Filesharing is a convenient way to create a digitally replaceable and portable "copy" of music that I "own". It also makes available live performances an unreleased material that is not copyrighted. It is also a proven effective means for indie music distribution.

I think much of the public is waking up and realising the shafting the RIAA has been giving us all along. It is a well known fact that the CD is by far a cheaper media to mass produce yet we've been charged the same $10-$20 apiece for them for the decade+ plus that we've bought billions of them. WTF?!?

I have no desire to see physical dgital music media go anywhere but I certainly welcome the new trend of digital music sales as I think it will act as the fulcrum for change. The change being in the "decriminalisation" of the act of filesharing and media preservation. In the meantime, I'll be buying everything on vinyl...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: My thoughts on Music, Digital Media, and Filesharing [Re: debianlinux]
    #2081325 - 11/07/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with your stance on the big dick the RIAA has been trying to feed us, but from your point of view, I couldn't only buy vinyl.
I suppose it depends on taste, but many albums I seek do not come on vinyl, nor do I have any existing collection to add one to. Plus, CDs have an album art feature that is a little more limited in a vinyl sleeve, and that is the main reason why I still buy CDs.

Luckily, I used to work for a Long Time at a record shop, and still get to use an employee discount. The only time I buy new CDs is when it is an artist I truely believe in or respect. Even tho it is a fraction of what I'm paying for the CD, I believe they deserve to get whatever percentage of the money I pay. I also think used CDs are a reallly good investment.

I share music all the time, I download freely without any moral hinderance. Because I know that if I download something that I know I like and think that that artist deserves my money, or that the album art accompanying the CD is worth it, I'll go out and buy the CD. But I'll try to get it closest to the source as possible: order from the artist website, buy a copy at a show, etc. Fuck Walmart, Fuck Bestbuy. local record stores=good.

Vinyl seems to appeal to only a niche market, however big it may be. It is no longer the standard, which means availability of it for ANY artist is slim sometimes, and also usually limited to a few general genres. Hey, it works out if you fit it, and it seems to be a good way to have a representation or "own" music.

that is all.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: My thoughts on Music, Digital Media, and Filesharing [Re: Blastrid]
    #2082236 - 11/07/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting, I've never had a problem finding the album i wanted on vinyl. Primarily independent music. Of course, I'm shopping from Nashville, Georgia, and New York so selection is naturally wide.

I worked at Tower for awhile, so I can empathise with the discounts (I got 10% above cost). Although, I used my discount on vinyl and was still was getting what I considered a very good deal.

While I may store mp3's that I do not "own" I only share that which I do. This, in effect, encourages me to purchase "stolen" music.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates