Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Photshop, and an artists goal.
    #2778322 - 06/09/04 05:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What are the most popular employment oprotunities after completing a course like Photoshop, along with a few other of the most popular software programs  offers for Web Design, etc?  I'm an artist, and although it would be unlikely for me to immediately make ends meet by selling my digital/digitaly enhanced Artwork, I hope to build myself up (through a collection of finished work, aka a portfolio) and disolve some of the boundries that I strugle with now in the Computer Graphic, Digital rendering, touching up/enhancement  area's of future projects. :thumbup: I believe Photoshop, offered by many schools abroad can act as a sort of catalyst in stepping over, creatively, into the modern world, and what is offered out there and meeting the demands of today :sun:, and meeting my creative demands. :thumbup: :thumbup:

My question being: 1) Is it more on the easier, or is it somewhat dificult to apply these (Artsy) skills privately (self-employed)... and be succesful, rather than working for, lets say, an organisation for desighning web-pages? :heart:

2) Are there many Self-Employed artists, that go heavy in Digital creation and become succesful? :mushroom2:

3) I'm a patient person, do you think that what I am hoping for needs some time to fall into place? :mushroom2:

What I visualise by adapting to the technology available, is having a cleaner, more vibrant product (aka: Work of art) available for the public to purchace, for decoration, or even part of the design of thier home. :thumbup:

I know alot of you are self taught, but I dont have a computer and dont mind getting into a course, especialy since its offered for free for me..and moving my up, getting expert advice and guidance in doing some of the most elaberate stuff later on... :wink:

Thanks, hope someone can answer a few of these questions, preferably from people who might work with this stuff a bit more seriously than just killing time...but even if its just a hobby, please let me know what you know...this is the way i want to do it, I dont want to just fool around with it myself,I want the certified course, its free..so:)....thanks all...

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezi1iz
informationsponge

Loc: Midwest
Re: Photshop, and an artists goal. [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2778407 - 06/09/04 05:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I would have to say that getting a degree from a decent art school is your best bet. If that is not an option there is nothing wrong with honing your skills with a few classes here and there, and creating a portfolio . Now getting together a body of work is one thing, marketing yourself is the hardest part in my opinion. You can look for jobs with graphic design companies and build a reputation in your area and network among others in your local market. Or if you don't want to work for "the man" you can do freelance work, which in my opinion is much more rewarding. I have used many different freelance websites that post jobs and users (you) can bid on specific jobs http://getafreelancer.com is just one of these websites.

Once you establish a few clients these projects look great in your portfolio, therefore increasing your chances of getting jobs in your local market.....

Well I have to go finish dinner... just wanted to offer some help to a fellow artist, I'll post some more links later

--------------------
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.
Ansel Adams

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

#2778626 - 06/09/04 07:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if by success, you mean making enough money to eat,
it is extremely difficult to succeed as a free-lance graphic designer,
everybody and their sister is PS certified and willing to work for peanuts.

imo, just creating the Art is the success,
and there are so many talented artists online giving it away,
that you are going to have to come up w/ something really special,
for people to actually pay you for your work.

one my most talented GD friends still has a day job,
making labels for Clorox / Glad, and ads for High Times.

Invisiblezi1iz
informationsponge

Re: Photshop, and an artists goal. [Re: Middleman]
    #2778680 - 06/09/04 07:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Becoming a freelance GD is not easy by any means but with all the websites promoting freelance work it is easier than ever. Before these collective websites you had to rely on local work, and local and regional work can be largely based on who you know. But I have found hundreds upon hundreds of opportunities via the web. Of course you have to be careful on your bidding but the work is there.
Having a "day" job in the GD industry is almost always needed to make enough money to eat, but you can phase out this so called "day job" by aquiring more and more freelance work.

But on the other hand I think Northernsoul is looking for a different direction, not so much commercial work but maybe more along the lines of a Fine Artist. But Fine Art isn't a cakewalk either and the "day job" is definatly needed. I has taken me 7 years of freelance work and education to get where I am, and Fine art is all about who you know and how much of your free time you are willing to dedicate to your particular direction. the key factor in getting your work out there is by narrowing your direction with a collective body of work......
sorry to rant, this is just a very complicated issue and one I have been dealing with for quite a while.And man it isn't easy but it sure does pay off, waking up everyday and loving what you do is the best.

some links
http://www.foliolink.com/

http://contractedwork.com

http://www.artistplacement.com

http://dart.fine-art.com/

--------------------
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.
Ansel Adams

OfflineHBS
Male

#2778728 - 06/09/04 07:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

1) Almost every artist has a 'main' job BEFORE attempting to make it solely as an artist ... even artists with a full degree under their belt find that the competition is generally too stiff in today's world to be able to not have another job be primary before getting enough experience and recognition to be able to do freelance work ... even the best freelance artists today will still not be sure when they will be able to bring money home, because it's so random as to whether you get a job ...

2) digital art is essential in today's world ... and knowing ALL current widely used programs ... is ESSENTIAL to making it in the art world ... you should know a lot more than photoshop, such as illustrator, flash, after effects, 3d programs (maya, etc), etc. ... people who hire go after the person with the MOST overall knowledge, which means you need to learn about printing and the printing process itself, different types of papers in which to print on, etc etc. ...

3) It requires time but more importantly a significant effort ... if you want to make it, it will mean devoting the majority of every day to art, whether you are practicing, working on new pieces, learning programs, etc. ... i spend upwards of 12 hours of a day doing artwork in all the programs ...

dont limit yourself just to what you plan to do with your art, learn it ALL, because that is what those who hire you will want and expect ... i work at a magazine publishing company, and hey are very serious about you knowing EVERYTHING and more ... they fire easily if the person isn't quite up to par, and they hire rarely, only if they see an artist who is absolutely stunning and can do anything they ask with any program required

it's a large deal, i suggest taking as many classes as you can and immersing yourself in it all

good luck

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2779611 - 06/10/04 12:13 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"""""I know alot of you are self taught, but I dont have a computer and dont mind getting into a course, especialy since its offered for free for me..and moving my up, getting expert advice and guidance in doing some of the most elaberate stuff later on... """"""""

dont waste your money on a photoshop course, its very easy to teach yourself, save that money and put it towards a notebook.

And on the part about feeding yourself off selling your art: do you mean...just selling your art? or designing stuff for the commercial market, because....sorry to say, its nearly impossible to live off selling art unless you are doing shows, ........and even then.......

art/design school is the way to go if you want to make money in this game.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #2788257 - 06/12/04 06:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The lengthly answers about what I've been having a hard time trying to figure out was very nice to see. There is definately a universal sort of frustration when it comes to these, what seem to be, common questions...
At least I have some pretty decent advice here, and I apreciate the way that all of my questions were covered, and THEN some, this is truely great!

I have a feeling that there is alot of helping fellow artists out, online, and out on the street and in the gallerys. Am I right about this?

It definately is present that all artists can relate on more than just one level when it comes to some of these very mentaly taxing questions and barriers...well not really barriers, more like trying to apply something that is very basic to us Artists, and going from this simple way of just being artistic, to all of a sudden emersing yourself into the complicated logistics of the market, demand of the industries and competition, networking, and so much more....without taking away from the enjoyment, I go on and just love what I do.

It is definately intimidating, because lets face it, Im my own worse critic. Nevermind having a whole town not liking a particular presentation, or having the pressure of a boss or company breathing down my neck..it is definately a challenge, and for some reason, I keep thinking that no matter how much I research and educate myself, there is no avoiding some certain invaluable life experience that comes along at some point...learning from mistakes....no matter how much we have looked into something...you just learn as you go it seems...do you find that? RThis must be SO common hey?

Anyways, I dont think I will have any prob;lem at all doing what I love 12 hours a day, because there is SO much to learn....and you could never learn it all, even if you have 10 lifetimes to do so.
I just want to find the best tasting and best skills that define who I am personaly.

Of course, my big dream is inventing "the next big thing" that will take the worl by storm!! And I have this real weird narcisist atitude towards myself..that I'm special, just nobody knows it, and I have to prove it:) Does anyone else find this?

Anyways, thanks again!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Invisiblezi1iz
informationsponge

#2788612 - 06/12/04 10:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes it can definitely be frustrating at times no doubt about it. But you just have to try shit out, meet people and opportunities present themselves. You have to keep trying though and keep finding directions to go with your work. And I do think alot of people in our industry have a "next big thing" I think it helps create drive.

well before I start a stoned rambling lol

Peace

:stoned:

--------------------
Ansel Adams

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media