Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Deciding on a Major......
    #7516536 -

I cant decide what i want to major in.... I only have one and half semesters left before i must decide.

Im towards engineering. Either Civil or Computer. Anything that doesnt require much chemistry.

If i do computer i would get to make vediogames- which i like, but i dunno if i will still like vediogames 10 years from now.

Civil is nice because you get to go outside a lot- but i dunno if i want to have to use a bunch of difficult math for the rest of my life either. But ill probably have to regardless of what engineering major i choose...


Any advice? What do you people do for a living?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516542 -

you can make a lot more in computer vs civil right off the bat. Because of the certifications of civil engineering require xyz years of experience.

Choose wisely.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516551 -

my dads a civil engineer. its a good job with good pay but its an extremely stressful job and he pretty much dislikes it now at the age of 53


--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: Liquidkick]
    #7516568 -

The computer field is flooded with people...

You will change it ten times from now.


--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: mikeytro]
    #7516571 -

I am in the same boat. I have 1 year of pre-engineering courses under my belt, but I do not know what kind I want to be. \

At first I thought Chemical because I love chemistry but it is honestly said to be one of the hardest degrees to get. period.

then I wanted to do Metalurgical engineering like study the properties of metals and create alloys for high stress enviroments like outer space, under water, very hot temps and such.

then I too wanted to do civil engineering but now I am totally clueless.

I need to talk to my counselor sometime soon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: mikeytro]
    #7516575 -

yeah, i think im gonna go to Computer. I mean computers are the future- and have been for like the past 40 years or more prolly. Getting a degree in the feild still wont be easy, then when i finnaly do get a job, i may be infront of a computer screen for 10 hours a day- which isnt too much fun, but atleast i'll be making some serious bank.

-EDIT_

In my experience the advisors and guidence dont help much. Its all about what classes you like, and what you would want your daily life to be like 10 years from now.

If i went towards Chemical, i would want to go all the way into the NASA program and try to get launched into outerspace. But thats a lot of work, and i've decided i'd rather work and get real paid and then buy my way on a spaceship- very tangable idea 10+ years from now

Edited by new2grow (10/14/07 04:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: Tangerines]
    #7516577 -

Look into the Food sci, heath or bioteah fields.


--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516591 -

I couldn't decide on the major / minor thing so I'm opting for a combined discipline; Chemical Physics .. I was initially going to major in chemistry and minor in maths.. but I changed my mind :laugh:


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: Cepheus]
    #7516606 -

Originally i was leaning towards Nuclear Engineering, but now i dont see that being very reasonable, given the solar panels tech getting better by the day.

I still may just major in math or physics, and become part of a governmental think tank- which i think would really fit into my lifestyle....lol.

This sucks tho, ive narrowed it away from anything chemistry, towards the maths or physics. Im pretty sure im gonna go computer engineering

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516617 -

i'd say computer
my cousin has a comp degree and is working for Yahoo
and he is making bank
plus his benefits are almost unimaginable
they have flexible work hours
a free gym membership (and the gym is in their work building)
a buffet
and a relatively easy job

i'm jealous


--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516755 -

Computer Engineering degrees are usually digital logic, VLSI. Meaning you will learn how to design processors, and integrated chips, interface with computers, design buses that kind of stuff. You will also learn programming and assembler, but it is not a CS degree which it sounds like you might be more interested in

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: TheCow]
    #7516848 -

Right. First, make sure it's something that you want to do; don't just do it for money reasons. You life may suck way down the line.

If you want to do compute programming related job, I would suggest doing a computer science degree.

You get out of what you put into it man.

Oh yeah and video games, I wouldn't recommend doing that, since it's a shit load of work and they treat you like crap. Sure you make a little bit more than the average computer programmer but your work week is hell. Only do it if that's something you enjoy. Burn out rate is high.
Only go into game programming if it's really something you really want to do. I wouldn't recommend it.


--------------------
Be like water my friend!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7516935 -

new2grow said:
but i dunno if i want to have to use a bunch of difficult math for the rest of my life either. But ill probably have to regardless of what engineering major i choose...




If you major in any field of engineering you're going to be required to take three semesters of calculus, one semester of differential equations, and possibly another semester of advanced linear algebra/modern algebra.

Not to mention, after you get your degree, you'll still have to keep your math sharp. If you're not keen on math, you may as well forget engineering or physics.


--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: skydog]
    #7516947 -

yeah i know i know, im already in my third semester of calculus. And i mean keeping up with it wont be too hard, in most feilds of engineering they have pretty good computer programs out that help with the mathmatics behind stuff, so im not too worried with that.

I just want to get a job that i would like- which i have no clue what that is now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7517088 -

did you even look at mechanical engineering?

it's the most general of all of the specific engr disciplines, and there's only one course of chem required. Plus, most mechanical engineering students hate chemistry, and the professors know that. Chem is used quite minimally until you start taking classes that deal with fuels and energy...wherein youre givin the chemistry data, and you just gotta use it. Theres no balancing equations or stoichiometric ratios or anything.
Even my materials science class didnt get too chemical. We just dealt with crystal structures mostly.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: Colbadol]
    #7517485 -

Advice:

Pick a major that you enjoy and pick a career that you love.

For some people that isn't possible but that's the BEST way to live life in my opinion. Doing a job or studying something you don't enjoy is a waste of time, a waste of life.


--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7517515 -

By like me and do Zoology.  You'll feel great about taking all the courses doctors take and work at a zoo! :laugh:

Nah, but the zoology courses are interesting.

idk man, do whatever you feel you'd be happiest with.  Don't choose a major based on monetary needs.  This is something you're gonna do for a good bit of the rest of your life!


The way I set my shit up was to allow me some options upon graduating...

Either med school, grad school for biomechanics, or nursing.  Zoology's courseload is more than enough, I enjoy the zoology courses and since it's in the Liberal Arts and Sciences College, I can take whatever humanities/electives that I think are interesting and have count towards my degree.  When I graduate, I'll have minors in History and Anthropology... not that they'll do me any good but eh, maybe it'll strike up a conversation during an interview or whatever.  Either way, make sure you don't set a path that's hit or miss.


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7517553 -

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Plastics.


--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7517564 -

if you do something with computers will you take computer science? are you good at math?


--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Deciding on a Major...... [Re: nolongerinuse]
    #7517579 -

new2grow said:
I cant decide what i want to major in.... I only have one and half semesters left before i must decide.

Im towards engineering. Either Civil or Computer. Anything that doesnt require much chemistry.

If i do computer i would get to make vediogames- which i like, but i dunno if i will still like vediogames 10 years from now.

Civil is nice because you get to go outside a lot- but i dunno if i want to have to use a bunch of difficult math for the rest of my life either. But ill probably have to regardless of what engineering major i choose...


Any advice? What do you people do for a living?



dude...computer engineering math is going to be a lot more difficult than civil. civil is sort of the easy engineering.

i'm doing electrical right now...and might fall back on mechanical if i can't cut it in electrical.

there are some pretty cool tests out there...that give suggestions on what you should do. there is a good one on Texas Tech University's Career Center website...I'm sure the same test is on other sites...but I forgot what the name of the test was.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my major freddurgan 16,741 13 09/06/04 01:45 AM
by lovelight
* Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? MOTH 2,368 16 11/19/04 12:47 PM
by ArmFromTheAbyss
* Search engines AnnoA 2,319 18 05/26/05 10:09 AM
by Anno
* Why can't Psych majors get jobs? I really wanna major in it freddurgan 800 5 09/16/04 04:24 PM
by vivid
* Im DJ'ING at a major new years event in milwaukee!!!!!!! ZippoZM 389 0 11/16/04 06:25 PM
by ZippoZ
* That point when you finally decide: "I'm going to get fired!"
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
trendalM 14,630 134 08/14/05 06:49 PM
by trendal
* I have decided to leave the community.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Anonymous 5,234 78 12/09/04 04:23 PM
by Jim
* I've decided the Pub is the place to be.
( 1 2 all )
LoverOfMana 3,745 27 05/08/04 01:51 PM
by CaRnAgECaNdY

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,963 topic views. 4 members, 43 guests and 263 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.