Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my major
    #3092787 - 09/04/04 10:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

God damnit I'm so frustrated. This is just gonna be a vent, so I'm warning you now.

Georgia Tech - OH GEE! I think we just had the worst idea EVER! Let's make every major require lots of Calculus! Oh look, it's some kids who want to major in Psychology! They don't need Calculus at all. But let's make them take Calc I AND Calc II. Oh hey? Bio? Calc II. Chemistry? Calc III. Lets just DUMP MATH on EVERYONE just because we are GEORGIA FUCKING TECH and we hate people having a good time at our school.

Computer Engineering - What the fuck was I thinking? Computers for the rest of my life? I'd rather die. And now these classes I'm in? For the love of god..I have to stick chips in protoboards and wire them all up manually, and OH BOY I got to make some boolean logic circuits so I can be AMAZED at how cool it is to combine 0 * 0 = 0. HOORAY! Let's study something DUMBER, and less entertaining. Oh wait, we can't. Because computer engineering is the worst subject ever.

It's can't be all bad? What if I like computers more than you do, you may ask. Well tough. You gotta take Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Differential Equations, and then once you're done with that, you still have to take your TWO lab sciences, as if Chemistry is going to help me, or god forbid I even REMEMBER it. Or how about those PHYSICS. Or Physics II. Or, to top it all off, the hardest MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CLASS. Yes, Comp. E's get to take THERMODYNAMICS, FLUID DYNAMICS, and OTHER POINTLESS SHIT.

WHY???? I'm a computer engineering major, not a fucking ME major. I'm not building a fucking car. I don't need to learn fluid dynamics. FUCK.

And oh GOODY, my 10 page technical document. I wouldn't want to miss any details about using a fucking oscilloscope, the single most boring piece of hardware on this EARTH. I have to write like 7 pages, with EVERY SINGLE STEP written down, so that a "layman" can take my measurements like I did. Well guess what? LAYPEOPLE DON'T READ TECHNICAL LAB DOCUMENTS. Why am I doing this?

I can't even switch majors to Psych cause I'm failing Calc II.

This school is eating my soul day by day. I don't even want to get out of bed anymore.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my major [Re: freddurgan]
    #3092897 - 09/04/04 10:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well your going to college so you can afford to hire people like me to build you a house for $15 an hour....it sucks a cock, but in our society it is a really valuble thing.  im trying to get my school done, never should have dropped out.  math may suck (well it REALLY sucks), but so does living with your parents trying to afford car insurance so you can make enough money to buy more car insurance... :thumbdown:

that said, you cant put a price on happiness.  hope you work it all out man, be a shame to fuck it all up over math.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my major *DELETED* [Re: freddurgan]
    #3092911 - 09/04/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my major [Re: freddurgan]
    #3092941 - 09/04/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Become an self employed business owner.
For all the effort your going thru shit man

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my m [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #3092976 - 09/04/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing else really interests me in the engineering field. I'm really not sure if I want such a technical major.

But then again I'd make more money asking for change than I would graduating with a degree in Applied Psychology.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3092980 - 09/04/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thats strange they'd make a psych major take calc. I think i might just take calculus I and II pretty soon here though. I don't plan to have a life at that time

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my m [Re: Worf]
    #3092984 - 09/04/04 11:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

outputrotation said:
Thats strange they'd make a biology major take calc. We have to take organic chemistry which is probably harder though. I think i might just take calculus I and II pretty soon here though

Well lord knows bio majors have to take organic chemistry here too. And inorganic, and all the other painful classes.

Why would you take Calc I and II? Out of curiosity.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my m [Re: freddurgan]
    #3092990 - 09/04/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hehe i just realised you were talking about psych. I might want to get my masters at some point.

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my m *DELETED* [Re: freddurgan]
    #3093308 - 09/05/04 12:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I hate Georgia Tech, I hate engineering, and I hate my m [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #3093453 - 09/05/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

script said:
Quote:

freddurgan said:
But then again I'd make more money asking for change than I would graduating with a degree in Applied Psychology.

That?s so true, sadly no matter how much I tell people that there degrees are going to get them nothing but a job in a library or an artsy coffee shop they still don?t listen.

Quote:

freddurgan said:
Nothing else really interests me in the engineering field. I'm really not sure if I want such a technical major.

I guess I was kind of hasty to suggest that, my problem is that I find interest in almost every engineering discipline so it would be easier for me to say fuck it and join switch to Aero or Mechanical courses.

Well you're lucky. I used to be hardcore set on being a Computer Engineer, but it just doesn't have the same interest to me anymore. I rarely even look at hardware sites anymore. I don't code, I don't tweak anything. I just browse the web, check email, and listen to music. I see the computer as much more of a tool, and not a central focus, nowadays and it's killing my drive to be a Comp. E

Does anyone have any information about what Psych majors CAN do? I know they can't get jobs, but people keep majoring in it and it has to lead to somewhere.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3093537 - 09/05/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Change schools and change degree to "Engineering Technology" instead of "Engineering".

Chances are, you'll get the same job, and be better trained for it than you would be with the engineering degree. Also, it's an easier degree.

Maybe something involving robots?

Evil robots perhaps?

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (09/05/04 01:30 AM)

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3094323 - 09/05/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I feel your pain. I HATE math and i cant for the love of god figure out why math is involved in so many programs. Luckily I'm in law school so i don't even have to count my own change.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3094403 - 09/05/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:frown: I'm sorry you hate school right now. I can't say for sure that it will be worth it (and it's probably not what you want to hear right now anyway!) But it very well may be.

I would suggest talking to a school counselor or advisor about how you are feeling. It REALLY helps to vent to a professional because they can help you.

Good luck, my friend!
:heart:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
    #3097720 - 09/06/04 03:45 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

HAHAHAHA you are funny (although i also wanted to cry for you at times while reading this too.) try not to stress too much!

you have a unique form of expression, so have you thought about doing design or something creative? promise you won't need any maths at all! i'm studying graphics and it's pretty cool. (there are some jobs too) and the last essay i wrote was on the relationship between buddhism and psychedelic drugs - it doesn't get much more free and fun than that!!!

:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub