Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Help. Pick me a major/career path please???
    #3383326 - 11/19/04 08:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, just stoned here and need help

...I keep thinking that I want to major in Philosophy.  I think that sounds fun and enjoyable. 

But then I started reading the 'majoring in Philosophy' thread in S&P, and realized that what Markos said about this is painfully true.  :sad: --Broke and pushing back years of your life. 

Okay, the entire point of me going to college is to earn a degree for my future and credibility. 

The problem is that besides taking Philosophy as my major, I am lost!!  What else should I take, or?  What career path should I choose?  The only thing I am good at is writing.  I'm also sort of scared to think that I may have to major is something boring.  I can't think of anything in particular that I would want to do that would make a lot of money.  I'm scared that I'll be lost in the sea of malcontent 9-5 drones.  Seriously, that is a worst fear for me.  When I was working, I wasn't able to hold a job for more then a year before I would start to panic at the thought that I might be stuck doing the same thing for an undetermined length of time.  In fact, that's what scared me the most of even starting college. 

But I'm here, so what should I do???  What major?  What job?  I don't know!  :crazy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: MOTH]
    #3383341 - 11/19/04 08:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

anthropology! it's interesting, and when you're done you could travel on a government grant, and then come back and write a book! it's perfect for ya, ellemy :smile:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #3383345 - 11/19/04 08:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

maybe psych?

my old roommate was a philosophy major and switched to psych for the same reason

Plus most trippers find it pretty interesting. i think i'm minoring in it :smile:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: lukeboots]
    #3383348 - 11/19/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
when you're done you could travel on a government grant, and then come back and write a book!

whoa!!

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: lukeboots]
    #3383367 - 11/19/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
anthropology! it's interesting, and when you're done you could travel on a government grant, and then come back and write a book! it's perfect for ya, ellemy :smile:

Hmm...I found this on the web:

Quote:

Anthropology is the study of origins of human beings and their cultures worldwide. In addition to documenting a particular culture, anthropologists are interested in how and why human culture changes. The science of anthropology is divided into several subfields including physical anthropology, the study of the origins and development of human beings; cultural anthropology, the study of human culture or the means by which human beings sustain life; linguistics, the study of human language; and archaeology, the study of human life based primarily on the recovery of artifacts, objects made and/or used by human beings.

That sounds pretty challenging...and interesting.  So you can earn a decend living as an antropologist?  Seems too good to be true.

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #3383379 - 11/19/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Horticulture or botony ..... with a special focus on fungus cultivation.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3383423 - 11/19/04 09:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Psychology? That is almost worse than philosophy when it comes to the job market. At least with philosophy people take you semi-serious as its not "easy", and can help you get into law school. Psychology is bogus, its not even a science, its practically no work whatsoever, and the job market knows this. Why do you think the majority of people major in it? Unless you are looking for grad school and beyond, forget it.

I picked biology. For a couple reasons. I am here busting my ass at school, I don't want to learn crap. I want a hard-science, something that dishes out facts, evidence, theory, and very practical in the job market. Biology isn't easy. They weed you out starting with bio 1 and 2, at least at my university because it has a good medical school and most of the kids want to go on to that. Biology jobs out of school are broad and wide....

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3383448 - 11/19/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

just read about all the things you can do, you must do what YOU want, not what people here suggest...

Invisibleadrug

Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: stefan]
    #3383477 - 11/19/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You could always minor in Philosophy but take something a little more umm useful as your major.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3383510 - 11/19/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Pharmacology seems to be pretty cool. Pharmacology is the science of the properties of drugs and their affects on the body.

Its a pretty hard major, at least in Sweden but it will be very easy to get a job as a pharmacist or research scientist. A plus is that you will learn everything about making your own drugs :smile:

Law school ain't bad if you are good with language. I'm having a much easier time than some of the more theoretically inclined students.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: stefan]
    #3383520 - 11/19/04 09:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Architect.

Good pay nice work environment and you can see what you've had built.
It's a totally different direction than what you're thinking but with the way the population is expanding you'll always have work.You don't even have to know how to draw,computers do all the drawing for you now.As long as you're creative and have an eye for detail(follow construction codes)you can do it.

I work in a warehouse with people who have degrees in math,philosophy,BAs and more and we chuck around boxes for a living.

you better get a teachers certificate if you go the esoteric route cause chances are the only thing you can do with philosophy is teach philosophy.....whoa...deep thought there. :goodluck:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlinespreaded
always beprepared

Loc: outer rim of space
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3383541 - 11/19/04 09:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ive got 3/4 of an engineering degree and the same amount of a small business managment degree and still dont know what Im gonna do. Im thinking biology or maybe archeology. There is the whole Hibernating Human Animal theory Ive been thinking of I would like to prove. The world mite not be quite ready for it or the truth quite yet.

--------------------
I set into a downward spiral, Caught an illness that was literally viral -WP

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: spreaded]
    #3383577 - 11/19/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not familiar with the hibernating theory(I'm just a grunt)but I have a theory on why people started walking upright.
An accident...some monkey in the past burnt his/her hands on a lava flow or hot spring or got bit while trying to drink and couldn't walk on all fours.
Being forced to do so it walked around until it healed
During it's healing it noticed that it could see further,it was harder to be suprised and had a better view of surrounding things it could eat.twice the height allows you to view 4 times the area and easily find more food.
This wasn't a consious decision it was more like being trained.
every time you stand up you see more food.
stand up, see food, go to food, eat food.
positive reinforcement for a random act creating a behavior.
eventually selecting the ones that walk and are better fed because they had the food to create young.
the more time you spent upright the better you did.

But try and prove that one!...gotta burn some monkeys I guess and see if they gain weight.

peterthinks

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: spreaded]
    #3383579 - 11/19/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I started out biology this year, gonna switch to chemistry. Id like to go on to UF's dentistry program. If i was for some reason to not make it into the the program, my back up plan is pharmacology. I also wouldnt mind bein in a lab researching and such.

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: Help. Pick me a major/career path please??? [Re: looner2]
    #3384138 - 11/19/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Psychology? That is almost worse than philosophy when it comes to the job market. At least with philosophy people take you semi-serious as its not "easy", and can help you get into law school. Psychology is bogus, its not even a science, its practically no work whatsoever, and the job market knows this. Why do you think the majority of people major in it? Unless you are looking for grad school and beyond, forget it.

As a psych major, I resent that. Its true that a lot of psychology professors grade easy, which is probably why its a popular choice for a major, but the material requires some hard work and thought to truly understand it (at least the more in depth classes).

But I agree the job market isnt too great if you dont plan on attending grad school. I dont think its because employers dont take a psychology degree seriously, just that there arent too many major firms in this field, and there are limited positions available. I figure, as long as Im serious about my choice, go to grad school, and strive to be one of the best at what I do, I'll find a decent career

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3384172 - 11/19/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

do you want to be broke and pretending to be spritually
happy or would you prefer to make money and hope that
you can find a way to do it while maintaining a soul?

a philosophy major is a one way ticket to the poor house.

go get a business degree and read philosophy books to
put yourself to sleep at night.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #3384318 - 11/19/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I'm scared that I'll be lost in the sea of malcontent 9-5 drones. Seriously, that is a worst fear for me.

That is my worst fear as well. It may take a little while but you've got to find out what you like doing. Something that you're good at. One idea is bound to be able to support you financially as a career. All of the slobs working boring jobs for money are just afraid to go out into the world and take a chance. You're not like that. So remain yourself and decide what career you'd love to do for years to come.

I'm into photography because it allows me to maintain my own unique perspective. I also enjoy it too.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder