Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblehankydanky2k
Considering a career change
    #2536733 - 04/07/04 10:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ever since I came to college I have grown increasingly unsure of whether I chose the right major or not. I decided to go with Computer Engineering because I loved building my computer and designing it all myself. I don't have a ton of clues as to what it is I want to do in life. One thing I have always done is think situations through many different times and try to figure out why people are the way they are. I am thinking that I might enjoy psychology. I really have no clue what studying psyche is like and I don't know what psychologists do or how well they get paid or how easily they get hired or anything. I just really want to do something that inspires me more than the path I am on. Does anybody have any helpful information on this kind of thing or any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate the help.

--------------------
The above post is fictitous, and any coincedence between it and real people, places, or events is unintentional.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Considering a career change [Re: hankydanky2k]
    #2536738 - 04/07/04 10:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Don't study computer science, that is my only advice for you. If you are interested in computers, and programming, you don't need a bloody degree to get a job in that field! i have a great friend who studied engineering (i think mechanical, but maybe i'm wrong...) and now works out of his home as a computer programmer (mainly databases, websites, sys admin, and Perl... don't spend time studying comp sci, you can learn it all from a book and a blunt!

--------------------

Invisiblehankydanky2k
Re: Considering a career change [Re: Krishna]
    #2536842 - 04/07/04 10:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Computer Engineering is vastly different than computer science. CE focuses on the hardware operation of a computer. You have to learn about and/or gates and how microprocessors run. Plus you need to know a shit load of math. CS focuses on software operations. Lots of computer engineers use software to create hardware, but none of them create software. I know you can learn CS from a book. I am not taking CS. Anybody else have any ideas?

--------------------
The above post is fictitous, and any coincedence between it and real people, places, or events is unintentional.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Considering a career change [Re: hankydanky2k]
    #2536868 - 04/07/04 10:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

schwoops! I guess I was shot down :grin: But..... I guess I didn't properely read your question... anyway, all I know about psychology is that my father is a psychiatrist (thats the MD kind, not just the masters degree kind)... he enjoys his work very much, deals with only adults, mainly crazed out bums and the like, but gets paid quite well and works part time for numerous hospitals in the south-western michigan region...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub