Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Does mycelium cover the whole cake?
    #71475 - 01/12/00 05:44 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Yahh it does. I was quite surprised when i crumbled my jars at birth, the mycilium even went though the whole cake, inside and out. I know that is a very newbie statement, but ohh well. On some of my cakes, the mycelium didnt grow around the whole thing untill birth. I think they might need air or something. But if your cakes are 90 % covered then you are all good to case. At least i think so...

-peace-

------------------
"My only weakness is my thirst for knowledge."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#71477 - 01/12/00 06:04 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Absolutely! They'll take up every nook and cranny they can get their little fungi-fingers on. The first time I cased, I was amazed that everything was completely overrun. When you birth 'em you're pretty safe if it's about 90% or so covered. Just don't wait too long or you can pins pushing against whatever container you use. If you birth too soon then they'll be competing with contaminants :frown: Hope this helps... Happy harvesting :biggrin:

Anonymous

#71478 - 01/14/00 08:02 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm... In my opinion you shouldn't let the mycelium take over the casing like that. You have just created a big cake and it will behave like one.

I birth my casings when mycelia is poking through at _some_ spots. Then the casing layer serves as a moisture-keeper and well... basically does what a casing is supposed to do...

I've tried to let mycelium overtake the cases completely, but had problems on later flushes when water was running low inside. I got overlay & mycelium didn't accept water as a case should.

So... That's it... Hope to have added something...

------------------
//Moomin666 -When madness is an art...

Anonymous

#71479 - 01/14/00 08:44 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

It will if ya leave it alone. If you pullit before it is done you'll get gold which makes all sort of realy neat colors though, it makes your cakes usless.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies