Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGreg3427
Greg
Male
What poisonous mushrooms stain blue?
    #6398133 - 12/22/06 09:15 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

What poisonous mushrooms stain blue in florida? Any?? I read about some mildly poisonous mushrooms called The BLUE-STAINING BOLETES. But are there any in Florida and are they very bad?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: What poisonous mushrooms stain blue? [Re: Greg3427]
    #6398152 - 12/22/06 09:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Boletes have sponge-like "gills" or "tubes". You can recognize them by their undersides, not having actual gills.

Using bluing alone as a feature for determining actives is not safe. There are other species (of even gilled mushrooms) that can show bluing or be colored in shades close to blue. Corts, Lactarius, Entoloma, Leptonia, Pholiota, Stropharia, etc are some examples... make sure you use the spore print color, habitat, and other features to ID something. Going on blue alone is not enough.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleGreg3427
Greg
Male
Re: What poisonous mushrooms stain blue? [Re: eris]
    #6398199 - 12/22/06 09:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I definitely wouldnt go on blue alone. But I posted some pics and from everything I read they looked like copes but because of my mishandling people on this board thought they were rotten or the inactive kind when they went from blue to black after handling. I just wanted to know if there were any poisonous ones in SW florida that looked like copes and stained blue also. If not I'll go ahead and take them.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: What poisonous mushrooms stain blue? [Re: Greg3427]
    #6398215 - 12/22/06 09:45 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

There aren't many species that are blue or go blue and grow in cow pastures. I can't really think of any (off of the top of my head), other than actual actives. It's possible that some could grow there, but it would probably be nearby trees or buried wood. If your finds turned black or mushy, it sounds like they were rotting.

I'd exercise some patience if I were in your position. Try to find some better specimens, in better condition. If you found some, there are likely more nearby. Get some fresh ones so that we can get to the bottom of this. I don't remember if I saw your other thread or not. If you do have copes and you post some decent pictures of them, myself or some other folks on this board should be able to ID them with ease.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleGreg3427
Greg
Male
Re: What poisonous mushrooms stain blue? [Re: eris]
    #6398359 - 12/22/06 10:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

eris thanks for the advice. I'll go again tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll find more.

Did you get the link I sent you of my first post

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags