Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineramuk
Loc: MI
Initial Adventures of a N00b.
    #618696 - 04/25/02 08:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have officially broken my hymen.

Today I innoculated 8 half pint jars using the bluhoney BRF/Millet tek for dummies, and since I seriously underestimated how much 1lb of millet swells when you simmer it, I even gave the gladware/microwave thing a try with the remainder of my substrate.  I nuked the 3 gladware containers separately for 3 different times of 12, 15, and 20 mins, in a water bath of course to stop the "meltdown" i've read about.  I poked a steam hole in the tops, I used tape on one and polyfill on the other two.  It's worth a shot, heh.

Whether I case the jars or just use cakes will be determined by how successful I am initially and how many jars survive.  I'm leaning towards casing.

My only concerns are of course contams and whether or not I got my water correct.  I added enough verm to make the substrate "not sticky" and right now the jars look pretty much on track, they have the little "air pockets" for space so the mycelium should grow fine. 

Lessons learned so far: 

1.  If your aquarium heater you're using doesn't seem to work and you remove it from the water jug to fix it, do not put it directly back into the water while its been on.  Pop!  Doh!  I am now using a heating pad. :smile:  All is well at 87 degrees now :smile:

2.  The urge to look at my jars for any of the magical white stuff is really unnerving, how the hell do you keep from peeking?! :wink:

Also, I was wondering about the "contamability" of millet, (comparingly to rye) I know that grains are more prone to contams than straight BRF/RF mixtures.  I'm just wondering because the pressure cooker I used was a smaller one, which I believe only went up to 10 PSI, although I could be wrong.  Either way, I still PC'd for 45 minutes but no more, since I wasn't too keen on burning up my substrate. 

Any tips?  Or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I'll be posting my results good or bad via crappy ass webcam photos, stay tuned.

--------------------

If I had a clever, introspective, or spiritual signature line, it would go here.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineramuk
Loc: MI
Re: Initial Adventures of a N00b. [Re: ramuk]
    #618735 - 04/25/02 09:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Btw, I'm using Acadian Coast from The Little Guy.  One weekend and my spore syringe arrived, very nice customer service so far.  I recommend the Little Guy for all your n00bish sporage needs!! :smile: 

--------------------

If I had a clever, introspective, or spiritual signature line, it would go here.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation