Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
How to Make A Straw Based Substrate * 1
    #1664550 - 06/26/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

This isn't my idea, so the only credit I want is for posting it:)

Lana

Making Straw Based Mushroom Growing Substrate

Hot water pasteurization:
This method is especially suitable for most types of oyster mushroom, Ps. Cub. Strains and Liberty Caps. Simple technology, short production cycles are the main advantages of the approach. With some experience and extra care, hot water pasteurization may also be used to prepare substrate for Shiitake, Cremini, Portobello, shaggy mane, garden giant, blewit, and the paddy straw mushroom. It is especially effective with whole or chopped straw, but may also be used for coarse wood chips, alone or in admixture with straw and small amounts of similar materials and supplements.

Details of the method:
Cut 2 kg cereal straw (wheat, barley) into 2-4 inch long pieces - enough to form a compacted, basketball-sized lump. Hay, hardwood chips or sawdust, shredded paper and peat moss may be added with appropriate changes in the technique to accommodate the altered water holding capability, nutritional content, and tendency to heating of the material. Prepare (shred, etc) the raw substrate outside or in another room from the one in which you will pasteurize and inoculate it, as straw dust is laden with weed mould spores which may contaminate and ruin your project.

Add 2 cups wheat or rice bran (or grains such as rye, sunflower seed in the hull, or millet), and 1 teaspoon Calcium carbonate (crushed limestone - not Dolomite) to the straw and place the mixture into a cloth bag (pillow case) or wire basket.

Completely submerge the bag in a vessel of hot water (65oC) for approximately 1 hr. Some heavy object will probably be necessary to keep the material completely submerged - straw which is not submerged will not be pasteurized and carry contaminants over to the next stage.

Cleanliness is essential. While you are waiting for the completion of the hot water pasteurization, wash down work areas with soap and water then wipe down with disinfectant (household bleach diluted 1:10 with water is effective). Airborne dust and mould spores on your hands, clothes, and on the counter on which you will work will lead to contamination problems.

Carefully take the container of straw out of the hot water and place it on a clean, disinfected surface to drain and cool to room temperature. This will take approximately 1-2 hours. When you are ready to proceed with the next step, wash your hands and arms well with soap and water, and wipe the counter-top again with disinfectant. It is not essential, but if rubber gloves are available, disinfect them and wear them.

Empty the cooled straw onto a clean, disinfected working surface. Place your bag or jar of spawn within easy reach. Take a large handful of the straw and shake/sprinkle it into the bottom of a large (approx. 18x24"), clear poly bag. Next take a small handful of spawn and sprinkle it on top of the straw. Spread another layer of straw and again sprinkle spawn over it. Repeat this process until the bag is full of intermixed layers of straw and spawn. Pack the mix down well as you go (by pressing on the outside of the bag as much as possible - to minimize contact with your unavoidably dirty hands). Add some more straw and spawn to the bag, if appropriate, until it is full of compacted straw - the tighter the better. Then tie the bag securely at the top.

Puncture the bag 30 - 50 times with a clean nail, knife or fork (wash it then dip in bleach).
Place the bag of spawned straw in an environment where it will be protected from insects, dust and drying out, and maintain it at a temperature of 15-20oC., not too warm initially or excessive biological heating may occur. A large, new, clean gargage bag makes a nice protective tent (for a single straw block), but only fold the top of the outer bag over loosely, so as to allow for necessary ventilation. When many blocks are incubated in 1 room, air movement within the room and ventilation of the room is essential.

In about 2 weeks, when the straw is all white with the mycelium, take the small bag out of the large one and make about 10 - 1/2" slashes in the bag, both around the substrate block and in the head space, then place it in a humid, lighted fruiting environment. - Pleurotus ostreatus strains will often require a slight cold shock, down to approx. 12-15oC for 2 or 3 days to initiate fruiting. After initiation, the best quality mushrooms will be produced at approx. 13-18oC.

No cold shock is necessary for P. flabellatus, P. sajor-caju, P. pulmonarius, or P. cornucopia, and these species should be kept at approx. 15-20oc for production of the best quality mushrooms (20oC for P. flabellatus).

If mushrooms start to develop on top of the substrate, open the top of the bag. Open or cut the bag away as necessary to allow the mushrooms to develop without restriction.

Once the individual mushrooms reach about 1/2" diameter, they may be watered to promote rapid growth. But they must not remain wet for more than about an hour at a time, or they may rot. Adjust the environmental humidity to allow them dry out slowly if you water them, and do not routinely water more than once or twice per 24 hr day.

Typically, mushroom growing environments should have humidity about 80-90%. They should not exceed 90%, except possibly for a day or 2 during "pinning." Several alternatives to the hot water immersion method that work well for oyster mushrooms on straw substrate include:

Lime water treatment:
Fill a clean, 45 gallon drum with fresh water and add 4 cups of Calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime) or Calcium oxide (quicklime) with stirring. Prepare straw as for hot water pasteurization above, then completely immerse in the lime water solution for about 2 hours. The water need not be hot, but very cold water does not seem to work well. Remove the bags to a clean place to drain, then spawn as for hot water pasteurized straw. This method is very economical as lime is cheap, but it is mild, and only good quality, clean straw should be used. Lime water will not kill grains, and sprouting grain may promote certain microbial pests. One batch of lime water will treat about 20 Kg. of straw.

Hypochlorite treatment:
Add 4 cups of household bleach solution to 45 gals. water to prepare a disinfectant solution that works about as well as lime water and is very economical. Immersion time and limitations are as for lime water. All the straw must be immersed at once. Serial treatment of a number of batches does not work well as the hypochlorite becomes depleted.

Formaldehyde and maneb treatment:
A recent article Mush.J.Tropics 7:67-75 (1987) describes an effective method for sanitizing wheat straw by immersion in dilute formaldehyde (500 ppm)/Maneb (75 ppm) solution. To prepare the solution, add 1 cup of 37% Formalin solution and 1/4 tsp. Maneb powder with stirring to 45 gals water. Immerse chopped straw in the above solution for 18 hours, drain and spawn as above. Zineb or Benomyl might substitute for Maneb in the same application.

Cold water immersion:
Fill a tub with clean, cold water. Prepare straw as for hot water, and completely immerse in the water for 5-7 days. The water should have a large surface area and have some opportunity to circulate by convection, to avoid anaerobic conditions. Use good quality straw. Supplementation prior to immersion is not recommended. At the end of the immersion period, remove the straw from the water, drain and spawn as above.

Hope this helps some of you... Using a Verm. Casing works great on wheat straw substrates!!

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Lana] * 1
    #1664553 - 06/26/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Lana, you have pretty feet.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Ainasko] * 1
    #1664907 - 06/26/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Good post

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Ainasko] * 1
    #1664948 - 06/26/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes she does,  :cool: 

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: GGreatOne234] * 1
    #1665871 - 06/26/03 09:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

My feet.. my neck, my back, lick my...  :wink:

Anywho!  I'm hoping SOMEONE can use this tek.

Lana :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHairyNipple
Mister Clean
Loc: Idaho
    #1666299 - 06/27/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

nice panties too. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1666398 - 06/27/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Liberty Caps off straw? Sounds like a great tek, but I'd like to hear more about the Lib Caps growing off the straw.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Jackal] * 1
    #1666477 - 06/27/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Where can you even get prints for libs?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Baby_Hitler] * 1
    #1666499 - 06/27/03 02:24 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

there always people trading them. some vendors sell them too.

id be interested on a liberty tek/grow log.

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: A0999] * 1
    #1666511 - 06/27/03 02:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

anarchist0999 said:id be interested on a liberty tek/grow log.

i think we all would! apart from a few pics of lib sclerotia in flasks (by mjshroomer) i've only ever seen wild ones, and very rarely read of outdoor libcap successes.

--------------------
buh

Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: shirley knott] * 1
    #1666941 - 06/27/03 09:31 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Good stuff, clarified straw for me.

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: shirley knott] * 1
    #1667606 - 06/27/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, just dreaming.

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: A0999] * 1
    #1667742 - 06/27/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

you can also mix and match some of these
variations...

I know that lime and/or bleach, in conjunction
with a warm water pasteurization bath works
wonders for bulk straw.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: afoaf] * 1
    #1673431 - 06/30/03 07:08 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

A lime/bleach mix does work very well, just have to be careful not to over do either one.  Another thing is to pasturize the straw.  Too many folks sterilize it instead of pasturizing it :frown:

Lana

--------------------

Offlinefrizzed
Stranger withCandy
noobee q. [Re: Lana] * 1
    #1674099 - 06/30/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

instead of going into the bag can you substitute a normal rubbermaid container?

could you just do this and then case with verm?

--------------------
sex.

Offlinetuco_ramirez
Fistful ofShrooms

Loc: DETROIT!
Re: noobee q. [Re: frizzed] * 1
    #2139784 - 11/27/03 07:06 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've pasturized in the past with little success. I'm thinking about trying the bleach method this time but on a smaller scale. Probably more like 10 gallons since that is the size sterilite container that I have available right now. So would 1 cup bleach to 10 gallons water be a decent ratio?

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: noobee q. [Re: tuco_ramirez] * 1
    #5327299 - 02/22/06 07:30 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

this is just a bump for someone who asked me about straw.

Lana

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: noobee q. [Re: Lana] * 1
    #5327326 - 02/22/06 07:51 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

Where did you get this? the liberty cap bit rang an alarm in my head. But the pastuerisation of rye and millet grains was a siren going off!

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Re: noobee q. [Re: blackout] * 1
    #5327340 - 02/22/06 08:05 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

Honestly, its been over 2 years since I got this info. Sadly I don't know where it came from.

Lana

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: noobee q. [Re: Lana] * 1
    #5327381 - 02/22/06 08:43 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

The rest seems fine and is well written that why I thought it strange that the 2 points were in it I mentioned. I have heard of adding flours at the time of spawning at 10% but most would recommend against it. Some like a bleach & lime combo. The bleach kills any living nasties and the lime prevents further ones from growing.

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: noobee q. [Re: blackout]
    #5327485 - 02/22/06 09:51 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

this is explained in TMC.

get a large metal trashcan, and portable burner.
when winter goes away i will be trying many methods of straw, poo and all sorts of stuff...

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineAntimatter
Nobody Important

Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Lana]
    #11443049 - 11/12/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Although I am no expert, by adding "grains such as rye, sunflower seed in the hull, or millet" to the straw you are enhancing the possibility for contamination since these grains seem to contaminate easier on bulk loads than straw alone.

Has anyone else noticed a difference between this teck and those that use pure straw?

Offlinesaskuats
Stranger

Re: How to Make Your Own Straw Based Substrate !!! [Re: Lana]
    #18626236 - 07/28/13 10:30 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hello Guys , im working with the Straw substrate , and i think is the easyest and better way to start someone with Mushroom "hobby" , Let's see my videos and please Dont Forget to SUBSCRIBE MY CHANNEL LIKE ~ SHARE ~ COMMENT !!! Thank's for Wathcing !!! :wink:

Offlinesaskuats
Stranger

Re: How to Make A Straw Based Substrate [Re: Lana]
    #18699892 - 08/13/13 02:16 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hello , i am new in Forum , and i wanna to show something about my Substrate information !!! Please make me Friend and Dont forget to Subscribe my channel , Like , Share , Comment :laugh: Enjoy & Thank You !

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules