Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
2nd attempt at grow (pics)
    #6105573 - 09/26/06 10:56 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Well, after not as much good fortune in my first attempt (did not have all the supplies or knowledge needed at the time), I have begun my second attempt. I'm using organic popcorn kernels as substrate. The jars have been heated/boiled in a regular pot for an hour each. 12 jars in total (quart). The lids have 4 nail holes along the perimeter and 1 larger hole in the middle filled with RTV high temp silicone gasket sealer. I followed monstermitch's lid tek completely. The popcorn was soaked for nearly 24 hours...drained for 30+ min...and put into the mason jars. I have been very meticulous throughout. I have a glove box ready, syringes, 4 spore prints. I'm ready to go, just looking for some advice. Really need the shrooms since the cops are swarming where im at. Here are a few questions, thanks for the help!

1) I'm afraid the moisture content inside the jar might be TOO HIGH!, but from other posts, seems like the majority of ppl say not to worry. There is no clumping of the kernels and no pooling of water. However, water droplets have formed on the inside of the jars. Comments?

2) What's the best way to sterilize the jars WITHOUT a PC. I have heard of just boiling for 60-90 min with a lid on top. Also, I have heard of a process called "fractional sterilization". Pretty much the same boiling process, just 3 times instead of one..and spread out over several days, alowing the jars to cool to room temp, and then boil again. Any opinions? Anyone tried this?

3) The lids have polyfil over them, but a couple had some water droplets on them. How important is it to keep the polyfil TOTALLY dry. They werent completely soaked, but did have some droplets on 2 jars.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, here are some current pics..and i will continue to update the progress. thanks again!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushboom
Stranger

Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: djaxx06]
    #6105603 - 09/26/06 11:02 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

If you ensure that your jars are able to exchange air, your slight condensation shouldn't be a major hindrance. I haven't heard about fractional sterilization, so sorry I can't help you with that. And about the polyfill, provided that moisture will not wick contams into your jars, you shouldn't have much to worry about those few drops.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #6105610 - 09/26/06 11:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

1-moisture content should be fine. I prefer to use tyvek on grain jars.

2-partial sterilization. Boil for 1 hour each of 3 days. Idea is that previous boiling would force contam spores to germinate as 212F isn't high temp enough to kill these spores.

3-I'd just redo the polyfill part. Again, tyveks are suggested over polyfill. You can get tyvek free of charge from US post office(look for priority mail envelopes.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: Sam1912]
    #6109181 - 09/27/06 09:27 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the next step of the process has been completed. The Spore syringes have been completed. I used Psilocyber's Syringe Tek and it worked well, hopefully the results will be good too. Here are some pics of my current progress...

How are the syringes looking? They're pretty dark. I'm running an experiment with the jars. 8 of 12 of the jars have been boiled for an hour...almost all of the kernels are intact and they look very healthy. 4 of 12 jars were boiled 2 times for an hour each time. More of the kernels are popped and do not look as healthy as the other jars, but i guess time will tell. Tomorrow night I will inoculate the jars and place them into a homemade incubator at 86 degrees. Then the waiting game begins. I'll keep picture updates of the mycelial growth up until full colonization. Thanks for all the help!

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
    #6109231 - 09/27/06 09:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

"Really need the shrooms since the cops are swarming where im at."

Why do you need shrooms if there are a bunch of pigs around your living area?

I don't think they'll go away if you have an ass-load of shrooms, but if you get ratted out, they might just swarm your house.

Oh, and congratulations on using MonsterMitch's tek (5 shrooms to you for using a great source of knowledge). I've found his journal to be one of the most resourceful things ever. How much did the RTV cost, if you don't mind my asking?

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Edited by faceyneck (09/27/06 09:48 PM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6109243 - 09/27/06 09:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Good luck om this grow.I'm afraid you may need it.I am not sure how reliable the fractional sterilization is but as a general rule You will need a PC for grains.Get one its the most important thing you can have in this hobby.As far as the moisture content goes I'm sure it is fine but next time save yourself the headache and use tyvek.You will be glad you did.Best of luck to you and dont forget to let us know how it goes

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: Blutjager]
    #6109281 - 09/27/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i will clarify that statement for you faceyneck. I was probably a lil stoned when i typed that. What i meant was, going out to the fields to hunt for shrooms is very dangerous here. Last saturday, 5 sec after we pulled up a cop turned the corner and pulled up behind our car. Fortunately, we made the extra effort to not have any illegal substances in the car. He did hold us up for about 25 min, looked in the car through the window, and ran his drug-finding dog around the car. He seemed pretty pissed that he didn't have shit on us, and was very frustrated that he couldn't find out what we were doing in the middle of nowhere at 1230 am. Just going to a friends house and the car overheated. Worked like a charm. Sorry to get off topic, but that's what the comment was intended to mean.

I got the RTV high temp silicone gasket sealer at lowe's for like 3-4 bucks. Unfortunately, the only syringes i was able to obtain were 1 cc OTC from CVS and the needles are not long enough to penetrate through the sealer. I will instead have to inoculate through the air exchange holes. I'm feeling pretty confident, hopefully I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
    #6113531 - 09/28/06 10:11 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

*UPDATE (pics coming Sunday!)

All 12 jars have been inoculated. Everything went smooth, no newbie mishaps fortunately. Right now, the jars are sitting in my incubator at a constant 86 degrees. My house is fairly warm, usually around 80. Does anyone have suggestions on how to lower the temp in the FC. I am going to purchase a Martha setup for 25 bucks. It will fit perfectly in my closet. I also have the Vicks Ultrasonic Humidifier and a computer fan im goin to hook up for proper air exchange. This is a ways off though. Until then, i will post pics of mycelial growth on Sunday, three days after inoculation! Wish me luck!

OfflineWestnile
Disease yo!

#6113697 - 09/28/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

IMO 86 degrees is risky for incubation. To each his own though. I do hope all goes well for you.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: Westnile]
    #6113785 - 09/28/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

What would be your suggestion for a good temp? a lil lower?

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6114584 - 09/29/06 08:15 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'd say 80-83 just to be safe and compensate for any minor fluctuation in ambient temps.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

OfflineWestnile
Disease yo!

Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: Primate]
    #6114725 - 09/29/06 09:31 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Word up.
Primate rollz like I be rollin'
80-83 is where its at.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: Westnile]
    #6114767 - 09/29/06 09:46 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, I think I can make that happen. What temp do you fruit at. I know the rule of thumb is about 10 under, but want to hear your experiences. Thanks.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
    #6121947 - 10/01/06 05:46 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

well, I checked the jars today. They are starting off slow, but that is fine. There was some growth and clumping in 3 jars. Not enough to take pics of, but when there is, I will have them up.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
    #6130321 - 10/03/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

OK! We have some good progress. 5 of 12 jars have full fluffy myselial coverage of the jars and the other 7 have isolated growth. My digital cam is fucking up and the pics are very blurry, so I will work on those and get some pics up. How many times should i shake the jars? Does too much shaking stunt development? and the rents are coming down about the time I will be casing...can i put them in the fridge for a day? How long can you leave them in the fridge? Will this harm either the yeild or potentcy, or no effects at all? well, that is all for now!

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
    #6130382 - 10/03/06 09:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I only shake grains twice. Once at inoculation, once again when the isolated growth spots grow to about a half inch in diameter. If you shake, you add a day to the colonization times because the myc stops being fluffy, gets dense and stays that way for an entire day.

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt at grow (pics) [Re: zathan]
    #6136923 - 10/05/06 04:40 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

*UPDATE WITH PICS!*
Things are still looking good...all of the jars except three have good mycelial growth and coverage. The other 3 have some growth, but still sporadic (nice pun...lol). I have to wait at least until a week from this Sunday to start setting up the FC and then will case after that. This is because my parents are coming down to visit in a week and I can't have a Martha set up running in my closet when they are over. If the jars finish before they come, how long can I store them in the fridge? i heard that this will stunt the growth of the mycelium. Hopefully it will only be like a day or 2 tops. Anyone have experience with this? Also, 2 of the jars that have some good growth have a different color appearance on some of the kernels (but only on the kernels and only where they seem to be split open or there are grooves). I think it is too early to tell if it is contam, because it doesn't appear to be right now. I guess I will just play the waiting game and see how they turn out. Well, that is enough for now. Here are some pics of the colonization.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom