Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesinthetikboy
mutant fungus

Loc: BEHIND YOU!
2nd attempt PC
    #1170860 - 12/26/02 05:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

3rd grow attempt here, first was very successful, boiled all the jars to sterilize them and none contaminated, 2nd attempt i tried using a PC and 8/12 contaminated, and the 4 that didnt have been colonizing for about 2 months now and are not completely done yet. going to be trying 3rd attempt here, and id like to PC cause i hear its the best way, but, i dont want this to happen again. i think my problem was releasing the pressure after the time was up. i think i am supposed to let it sit until the pressure releases itself. any tips to avoid problems this time? or a PCing for dummies walkthru type of thing for me?
searched the FAQ and didnt find the type of stuff i was looking for
thanks

--------------------
I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
Re: 2nd attempt PC [Re: sinthetikboy]
    #1171022 - 12/26/02 06:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Be sure to monitor the PC, to insure there are no broken seals or gaskets which hinder the proper buildup and maintenence of pressure. After Pressure Cooking the jars for 45-60 minutes @15psi, you should remove the canner from heat, and then allow it to cool on its own without opening the lid. I usually wait 12 hours or so to be sure the substrate has cooled completely.

Assuming you are just using BRF/Verm as a substrate, the point of contamination is likely occuring at the same time as innoculation. Be sure to spray the area (including the outside of the pressure cooker) with a liberal dose of cleaner (e.g. Lysol), and take proper precautions for sterility (e.g. freshly laundered clothes, a dust mask, sterile gloves, an improvised alcohol lamp, possibly a HEPA filter if available, etc) when innoculating. Work quickly and efficiently. Plan everything ahead, and you should find success the majority of the time.

While all these steps may not be necessary, they should be sufficient.

OfflineComa of Souls
kunt whore

Loc: Vancouver island, British...
Re: 2nd attempt PC [Re: bowling-name]
    #1171305 - 12/26/02 10:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

also make sure you make sure no water enters the jars while PCing.. thats very oimportant.. and can make your jatrs much more suspecoeptiak to contams.. watevr that wurd he isis anyways jsut a tip.

--------------------
im a weeeeezel look at me *weeze* *weeze*

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: 2nd attempt PC [Re: Coma of Souls]
    #1171358 - 12/26/02 11:23 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just tape the holes and leave the lids unscrewed or put aluminum foil over the lids. This allows for an equal pressure inside the jars and outside the jars, so they won't crack. Also, after PCing, never cool your jars in cold water or anything. Just let them sit overnight and cool off, because this will also cause your jars to break or crack.

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: sinthetikboy]
    #1171384 - 12/26/02 11:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: 2nd attempt PC [Re: Macey Howard]
    #1171456 - 12/26/02 12:10 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

And the worst part is, the vacuum doesn't stop till it sucks everything in. New shirt on? Good. It'll suck that in. New tie? That too. The vacuum sucks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies