Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheGanjaGorilla
Shiitake head

Loc: N.E. Indy
A question about drying Amanita muscaria
    #6101037 - 09/26/06 01:29 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I ran across this post over at Cannabis Culture, and thought the poster may have been misinformed about drying Fly agaric....The issue in question is outlined here, taken from the post...

Quote:

This is true of psilocybin mushrooms, as psilocybin and especially psilocin degrade in warm temperatures. However the active ingredients in amanita muscaria are different beasts, and heat is required to convert from the more toxic ibotenic acid to the desired deliriant muscimol.

What do you all make of this heating of the fruit to produce a more active (for a lack of a better phrase) mushroom?

--------------------
"Whateva I do what I want..." Eric Catman

"Whateva, I do what I want..." Eric Cartman

TheGanjaGorilla.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: A question about drying Amanita muscaria [Re: TheGanjaGorilla]
    #6101124 - 09/26/06 01:50 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The chemical process is the same thing as happens to THC - THC itself is not the active consituant, it looses a carboxyl group upon burning or cooking.

This de-carboxylation also happens in your own metabolism with the enzyme de-carboxylase, and that is why when you eat weed it takes more THC to get high and why the high lasts so long, as you have to wait for this enzymatic process to occur.

The actives in Amanita muscaria degrade at a temperature of something around 375C if I remember correctly, while I think decarboxylation occurs above 90C (I'm not sure on this number). I believe that this decarboxylation may happen when the mushroom dries out even at normal temperatures, but I dont think there are many facts regarding this line of thinking.

I have never seen anyone report a difference in potency betwen non-cooked vrs. cooked Amanita muscaria, and the enzymatic action in your metabolism can account for some of this difference.

I was told that well cooked amanitas gave you less nausea, I didnt find that to be the case either. :grin: Maybe others who know some chemistry can add, but I personally think its all up in the air.

Offlinemerge_oners
Very Experiancedmakes perfect!
Male User Gallery

Loc: in a very confused societ...
    #6103862 - 09/26/06 05:24 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Fly agarics have different beasts indeed, a good way to think about it is to know that heat will always work the same and be the same, if u are out in the heat u will sweat if there is water on the curb it will evaporate, now put those together and think of a mushroom.

--------------------
Can you help me figure out why humanity is here? cause im on a mission to find out!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #6103961 - 09/26/06 05:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is an interesting question, but it does not really belong in advanced mycology. I'm moving it to the mushroom hunting forum because folks talk about this stuff all the time there.

OfflineTheGanjaGorilla
Shiitake head

Loc: N.E. Indy
Re: A question about drying Amanita muscaria [Re: shroomydan]
    #6105636 - 09/27/06 01:13 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry about the wrong forum thing...

Thanks everyone for weighing in...I guess I'll just have to keep my ears open for more info, as that I've had my spin with Amanita muscaria, and wont be tripping on it again most likely ever.

--------------------
"Whateva I do what I want..." Eric Catman

"Whateva, I do what I want..." Eric Cartman

TheGanjaGorilla.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #6106135 - 09/27/06 09:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Check the related threads link at the bottom of the page. You will likely find more info than you can stand in that mess.  :wink:

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: A question about drying Amanita muscaria [Re: shroomydan]
    #6110214 - 09/28/06 07:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Check out my thread on Ethno "A Word on Amanita Mucaria Dosage" the drying tech thread is also mentioned (also on Ethno). Any questions after that and a good site search get back to us.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: A question about drying Amanita muscaria [Re: Feelers]
    #6110220 - 09/28/06 07:49 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Feelers said:
The chemical process is the same thing as happens to THC - THC itself is not the active consituant, it looses a carboxyl group upon burning or cooking.

This de-carboxylation also happens in your own metabolism with the enzyme de-carboxylase, and that is why when you eat weed it takes more THC to get high and why the high lasts so long, as you have to wait for this enzymatic process to occur.

The actives in Amanita muscaria degrade at a temperature of something around 375C if I remember correctly, while I think decarboxylation occurs above 90C (I'm not sure on this number). I believe that this decarboxylation may happen when the mushroom dries out even at normal temperatures, but I dont think there are many facts regarding this line of thinking.

I have never seen anyone report a difference in potency betwen non-cooked vrs. cooked Amanita muscaria, and the enzymatic action in your metabolism can account for some of this difference.

I was told that well cooked amanitas gave you less nausea, I didnt find that to be the case either. :grin: Maybe others who know some chemistry can add, but I personally think its all up in the air.

You do not "cook" them, instead maintain a good hot/very warm airflow. The Ibutenic acid to Muscimol process is well documented, dried amanita mucaria is far more potent and less toxic.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: A question about drying Amanita muscaria [Re: Silverwolf]
    #6110342 - 09/28/06 09:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

drying them in the sun on a hot rock works great. best method so far :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification