Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDHJH
Lurker

Loc: On a mountain
First "real" casing attempt, question with pics.
    #6087829 - 09/21/06 06:49 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

WBS spawned to coir. 58 quart monotubs, 2 quarts wbs 1 brick of coir per tub, about 3.5 inches substrate depth, cambodian strains. I'm excited, I have only grown a few times, (cakes), got a few cakes that are refusing to pin right now actually, no idea why, temp and rh doing good, got them in a PMP. Anyway, as easy as this has been right now with the monotub I don't see why I will ever go back to doing cakes if this goes as well as I feel it will.

This one has been incubating for at least a week now.

This one believe it or not is only 3 days in.

I think the second one looks a lot better and I believe it is because I made it a point to spead out the WBS so much more evenly after seeing how uneven my first attempt is colonizing.

Finally my questions. First I'm wondering how they look to everyone? Second, I was thinking about using Miracle-Gro moisture control potting mix for my casing layer. I've been doing some reading up and noticed people suggesting calcium carbonate for immediate ph work, then oyster shell for long time ph control. Then in other threads I've seen all kinds of limes and then some gypsum, so I got a little confused. What I'm wondering is if I got with this potting mix what should I use, if anything for PH? Oh by the way, I just noticed in my first pic some of my polyfil has fallen out of one of the holes, so just incase someone was going to mention it to me I fixed it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: First "real" casing attempt, question with pics. [Re: DHJH]
    #6087900 - 09/21/06 07:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

you shouldnt be incubating the monotubs

and i dont know about that miracle gro shit but i used 50% vermiculite and 50% peat moss and it worked great

i didnt use anything to buffer my pH, didnt think it was necessary, i got a huge pinset anyways

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
Re: First "real" casing attempt, question with pics. [Re: Atheist]
    #6087972 - 09/21/06 07:36 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

According to RR, adjusting the ph helps to prevent contams, but doesn't help with fruiting.

If you want, use hydrated lime to adjust the ph immediately, and also a long time buffer like oyster shell, egg shell, etc. if you want, but neither is necessary.

Here is flush #1 B+ with a 50/50 peat moss with agricultural lime added as an immediate buffer:

Good luck!

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: First "real" casing attempt, question with pics. [Re: faceyneck]
    #6089107 - 09/22/06 12:42 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You need a pinning strategy...

Hyphae's pinning strat

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder