Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Amanita muscaria var. formosa
    #5826887 -

I have been taking alot of hikes this summer, and on my last two I have come across what I am almost certain to be Amanita muscaria var. formosa. Last year I looked into them a bit and thought I had found some but I wasn't as positive as I am now. I live in the Northwest corner of CT, and found all of these in the realative area:

These two were found on 6.30.06, they were both found in different spots of the mountain however.



These three were found on 7.5.06




This is all I took from that day, I left smaller ones I found so as to not drain the spot, they were all found not right next to eachother however, but realatively spread out:


Am I right in saying these are Amanita muscaria var. formosa?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5826894 -

They look like it, except for the first one. Was it found in the same spot as the others?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: xmush]
    #5826904 -

That first one was found on the same hike as the second one, the picture is kind of bad because of the glare but I took all of these with my phone. I'm pretty sure it is one because of the ring on the stem, bulbous base and there were no warts because it seems to be an older specimen and they would have washed away. Also when I looked up images of mature specimens after a while they start to fold up like that. But there is still room for debating. Thanks for the input.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5826911 -

They are most likely all amanitas, but like xmush said I don't think the first one is A. muscaria (var. formosa) because it seems to have quite a lanky stem. It lacks the bulbous base as well as the veil remnants all along the stem. All that it seems to have is one veil which is hanging there like a skirt (as with cubensis shrooms).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: iamyour_messiah]
    #5826921 -

Is it in any way possible to get these to spore and create a new generation to make sure that they are indeed Amanita muscaria var. formosa? If I placed the caps down in some nice grass or under the same habitat I found them in would anything happen or do you think the spores have already dropped?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5826926 -

Well, you have to consider that all of the mushrooms you find in a certain place are likely the fruiting bodies of the same large fungus underground. So that fungus will send up more fruiting bodies regardless of if you lay spores down. Amanitas form an obligatory symbiotic relationship with certain trees. For this reason they are incredibly difficult to grow.

You say you found that top mushie on the same hike, but was it in the same spot? I typically will find several different species of amanitas in a given area, I think many have similar growth requirements. I agree with laymour about the base not looking like a muscaria. And it has a pretty skinny stem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: xmush]
    #5826931 -

It was found in a different area so I bet you're right, the ones from the second hike yesterday are pretty much definately Amanita muscaria var. formosa no? And if I plan to try any of these I should just look for more not attempt to grow any?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5826966 -

Yep, look for more. You're not going to be able to grow them. Also, do a ton of research on the preparation, dosage, and effects of this mushroom. Most people who have tried them never try them more than once. Some people enjoy it. Someone posted some awesome videos from a British documentary showing the effects of A. muscaria. I think they were at youtube. Be careful!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: xmush]
    #5826981 -

The ones from the pictures though, could they be something harmful?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5827192 -

Amanita flavaconia is a poisonous lookalike. To be honest none of yours look like A. muscaria. to me. It's also early in the season for them. Extreme caution is advised.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: shroomydan]
    #5827265 -

Interesting. Dan I thought they were muscaria because they seem to have the concentric veil remnants on the base. I humbly apologize if I erred.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: xmush]
    #5828081 -

You might be right Xmush, but Amanitas are tricky. I can't say why exactly they don't look like A. muscaria, but something about them seems off.

An ID error in the genus Amanita could equal death, so I go with my gut feelings and choose to err on the side of caution. No need to apologize xmush.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: shroomydan]
    #5828136 -

Im up here in Maine and the Amanita Muscaria Var Formosa are popping up like crazy we had a lot of rain in the spring that is why they are coming up early. The pictures look right, Im a bit concerned over the brown one it looks like a panthar, and must be treated with caution as it is said they are 8x more potent. Be sure to dry these out completly in the sun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: downlowfunk]
    #5828145 -

OK downlowfunk says they are fine just dry them out.

Shroomydan says they don't look right to me. They are too small and the veil remnants are too yellow. I also see at least two species in the photos.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: shroomydan]
    #5828236 -

I'm with Dan, not just because he knows a lot, but he makes a good case. There is universal agreement that you have a mixed collection. And those are awfully yellow stems for muscarias. I'd be safe and toss them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: shroomydan]
    #5828251 -

shroomydan said:
OK downlowfunk says they are fine just dry them out.

Shroomydan says they don't look right to me. They are too small and the veil remnants are too yellow. I also see at least two species in the photos.



I'm with Dan, I don't mess around with Amanitas. I see more than one species as well.

the second picture looks like it might be A. franchetii
http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/photos/Amanita_franchetii(mgw-01).jpg

The first picture I cannot see enough of the cap to make a guess.

The third photo looks like it could be A. ceciliae, A. pachycolea, A. pantherina, or A. rubescens..... Lot of possibilities. I do not think photo 2 or 3 are A. muscaria var. formosa.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: CureCat]
    #5828291 -

xmush said:
I'm with Dan



CureCat said:
I'm with Dan



damn Dan, you sure are popular!  :biggrin:
Who are you going to choose?? HMMmmm?!  Me or Xmush?

j/k j/k j/k!!!  I know I can't compete with Xmush. :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: CureCat]
    #5830637 -

What about the 4th and 5th pictures? They have the bright yellow cap with warts. I white stem with the collar, the veil reminants by the base, they both had bulbous bases aswell. Both were also found in the same area.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: PlasticFantastic]
    #5830724 -

They may very well be A. muscaria var. formosa, but I will not be the one to make a positive ID. Misidentification of Amanitas can be deadly, as stated above. I think the general opinion is that you should avoid eating Amanitas, if not for the regularly reported nausea and sweating, then for saving yourself from the consequence of misidentification.

I discourage you from indulging in these mushrooms, as I myself, would not.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita muscaria var. formosa [Re: CureCat]
    #5831023 -

Well yes, don't worry I already got rid of them all. It just seemed like some of them that I found were A. muscaria var. formosa, I just thought it interesting that I actually found some.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Amanita Muscaria var. formosa, versus Amanita Frostiana Darcho 8,318 8 07/28/04 11:53 AM
by thearmedforces
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa Id request Montanahunter420 4,882 6 10/08/06 11:08 AM
by trigger
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa mr_minds_eye 2,627 8 08/01/03 11:42 AM
by canid
* Ohio Amanita Muscaria var. formosa? ohioscott 5,342 6 09/24/04 01:20 PM
by ohioscott
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa, WOW!
( 1 2 3 all )
EffedS 9,952 46 09/25/17 07:43 AM
by Spivkurl
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa EffedS 3,324 13 06/16/03 10:30 PM
by MagmaManiac
* "Air-dried" Amanita Muscaria var. formosa? BobHumboldt 1,065 1 09/24/05 11:51 AM
by SweetLeaf
* Amanita Muscaria Var. Formosa Hunting + Pictures Meat_hod 2,146 9 08/28/06 10:09 PM
by aNeway2sayHooray

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
6,887 topic views. 1 members, 13 guests and 34 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.