Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Karma comes around, does it?
    #580828 - 03/16/02 07:47 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

i've been hearing a lot about karma lately.  particularly from the Burning Bridges thread i just read in otd, however i've been hearing it mentioned by people i know and on the television.  the thing is, it seems that too many good people are getting fucked over.  how can so many people put faith in this theory when quite frankly, i have not seen anyone attest to it actually working regarding their own life choices and resulting events. 

i feel like i'm good person.  i never start shit with people.  i will never be mean to anyone who has not pushed me to the absolute edge.  i try to do what i think is best, not just for myself, but for everyone involved.  .. so this is why i don't understand why i am so miserable.  i thought it would be easy to wait for the girl of my dreams.  i was wrong.  each time i'm with her seems more painful than the previous.  each time it seems like she misses me more and is very affectionate, but keeps holding back.  i woke up to the most unpleasant news this morning after she crawled into bed with me and we lazed away the morning hours, now it's haunting me and i think it is the reason i'm feeling so ill right now.  i have finals next week and wanted to come home and see her 'cause her break was right before mine, but i'm worse off now than i was last week without her. 

so does anyone win in this karma deal?  i think not, but will wait to be proven wrong (hopefully) :frown:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: geokills]
    #580928 - 03/16/02 09:42 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

hmmm...

*i'm an idiot*

Edited by Smack31 (03/20/02 12:26 AM)

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#580933 - 03/16/02 09:46 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

I don' treat it like a magical phenominom(sp?). I treat it more like "You fucked me over and if you ever want anything from me foget it." Take for example something that happened at my work. Somebody was stabbed and there was a HUGE fight outside. Being that I was there I was one of the best witnesses to the incident becasue only myslef and 2 others were not on any sides. Now for the "karma" before the incident there was a guy with one of the groups talking a bit of shit before things escalated, but he left. This kids a mouthy little shit and rude to me each time he comes in, also makes my job difficult trying to sneak in.

So when I was to identify the people who were there I could have easily negleted to mention him cause i was pretty sure he left but I didnt and made sure he was identified as being with one of the groups( possible instigator).I took the karma into my hands.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #581425 - 03/17/02 02:11 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

I have been strugling with thoughts on karma for months and months. Always thinking it just couldnt be logical and couldnt be real.
The problem with karma is that it is very hard to understand for todays society, somehow.
When I finally gave up with trying to understand it (and gave up a lot of other things) it finally came to me.
Lately Im experiencing more and more which explains karma to me and makes it more and more logical.
It isnt at all what I first thought is was.
The reason karma is so hard to understand, is becouse our own world is so complex.
Its a simple rule, made horreble sophisticated by the actions of consiousness.

The main itch for your karma are your thoughts and emotions.
For example: if you like something in excess, you will later dislike it in excess. If you dont want something, you will later.
If this seems not, its just stretching.
The stretching is the main couse of reincarnation, and reincarnation explains bad karma when doing good. Its becouse youve been bad in a previous life.

Just observe, and you will find out.

The best thing against karma is to let go.

--------------------
its all placebo

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #581455 - 03/17/02 02:56 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

Karma to me is more of a Newtonian action / reaction thing than a spiritual concept.

Israel attacks Palestine; Palestine attacks Israel - violence begets violence.

On a personal arena, drink heavily and you will get a hangover and decreased health. Drive drunk and you may pay a heavy price to society, but it is not guaranteed.

I don't believe that there is any cosmic score-keeping going on.; i.e. if I do an act of kindness a return act sometime in the future is guaranteed to me or that it balances out a mean thing that I did.

Good does not always prevail.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: Swami]
    #581580 - 03/17/02 05:39 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

Swami,
I don't believe in predestination (or determinism either). I also know that good does not always prevail. I don't know if there is such a thing as karma, but I have had some FUCKED UP experiences that I don't think can be chalked up as purely coincidence.

I have actual documentation (videotape) of some of these "coincidental" happenings. You know, it's funny how much more often these experiences happen when I am under the influence. But I can assure you, they DID happen- it was no hallucination. They usually blindside me. I cannot predict anything. Shit does come around. My brother got his ass kicked by a bunch of kids and one by one, they've each had their lives totally fucked... except one, the only kid who apologized and (I'm damn sure) was actually sorry for what he did (rather than just regretting his punishment). My father got screwed in a business deal 20 years ago by three of his then-friends. One died of cancer, one was shot and killed by his girlfriend/wife/whatever, and the other ended up as a bum. I have some really long stories of my own, but I don't feel like airing my personal life here.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#581614 - 03/17/02 06:32 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

Swami, if you understood reincarnation you would realize it all balances out.
You just have to wait for your next life and you'll see, but at that point you will
have forgotten why you're getting what you deserve. You should realize that
life is all one big cruel joke and the intergalactic soul council is composed of
some real cruel bastards who sit in the 6th dimension laughing their asses off
at the ephemeral misfortunes of the lower level souls.

... or, maybe not.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: ]
    #581697 - 03/17/02 08:32 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

This is my next life.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #582945 - 03/19/02 12:47 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

Hate to say it, but no. It does not come back. Just kidding! Actually its probably you. Sad but true. Not just you, but everyone. Usually when someone good happens its ..yay thsi is good.. then when its gone is the sad times we curse the bad, and think nothing good happens because we are currently in the bad, and the good seemed so short (time flys when you're having fun) Next time something good's going on come talk about karma, it wont happen cause it will be too good!

Thats just 1 theory! Other is uh yeah it should maybe? :P never does for me, usually, who knows. I take alot more shit than i should, and i dont get nearly what i feel i deserve, it sucks. I just try to keep a good mindset about it all. I usually try and think posative about something by putting someone else down. Not a single person, but lets say people are just pissing me off today, and im ready to break out the machine gun...instead of getting mad i just say 'im better than them fools' and it helps :P works with alot of things!

When it comes to love, theres no fucking around! I dont know what to say cause i kinda 1/2 way in between thoughts. One of my opinions is "if its meant to be true, then it will happen, no matter what" wich makes me happy when i feel it should, but then i think "i have control, no one else" Kinda str8 out of hte matrix. :P Anyways, idont know so i cant say "if its love its gotta happen, let it flow" but i dont know if saying "do what you need to" is right either! just live thourgh it and do what feels right knowing what happens happens and no matter what, in the end you have the power to do it. You do nothing but say nice stuff, and help people out, im sure someones looking out for you, you're a great person =] Again...lessons are also fucked up in disguise. I remember i was with this girl...She was head over heals for me...it was ok, i ignored her, notthinking it was bad, i had her when i wanted her, she was always there, but only when i wanted. I broke up with her after that. Then i feel in LOOOVVEEE with this girl, the best girl ever, she was the girl of my dreams...i was there when she wanted me, and only when she wanted me, when i wanted her she ignored me. DOH! I now know how it feels. She is a good friend of mine still, and not the one, but at the time i thought diffrent things, and i feel it was a great lesson. Not sayingits hte same lesson! but alot of shit happens for certain reasons...

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlinekyuss
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: tak]
    #583346 - 03/19/02 12:20 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

for the want of a nail, a horseshoe was lost.
for the want of a horseshoe, a horse was lost.
for the want of a horse, a solidier was lost.
for the want of a soldier, an army was lost.
for the want of an army, the war was lost.

or something like that,
karma is the law of cause and effect but because the cause and the effect are one of the same, it becomes cyclical. hence actions alway come back to you. the bloke in the taoist thingy above could have been having a really bad day, wife nagging him kids wanting money, bills to pay ect. so he beat the crap out of his wife, and because his mind wasnt on the job (he made nails for a living you see) he lost a nail and hence the evil terrorists won the war and the nail maker got killed in the ensuing civil disorder.

All this because he lost a nail.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: kyuss]
    #583505 - 03/19/02 03:26 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

I believe in Karma, the only problems are diagnosing and predicting causes and effects of this, in that way you can enlighten yourself about what you know is true about karma. The fact is that, the term Karma, in it's meaining "what goes around comes around" can be understood in many different ways.

Real Examples:

"My theories" Direct Karma: I have 1300 dollars stolen. A year goes by. I give 4 500 dollars away to a complete stranger, a year goes by, then I meet a complete stranger who gives me 2000 dollars. Coincidence, I think not...

Indirect Karma: I sit and stare at a Buddha for hours, seeking an awnser, the next day I see a Buddhist Monk, (Very rare in East Coast U.s.a), and recieve my awnser. This is just coincidence, or in other words Karma... but indirectly, because my thoughts and questions "went around' and then came back with an awnser .

So that Karma can be interpretated as direct retribution for deeds, or so on...

So my next Karma project should be... ??? I guess I will have to wait for Karma to bring it to me.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: nugsarenice]
    #583542 - 03/19/02 04:23 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

"My theories" Direct Karma: I have 1300 dollars stolen. A year goes by. I give 4 500 dollars away to a complete stranger, a year goes by, then I meet a complete stranger who gives me 2000 dollars. Coincidence, I think not...
Very convincing! The Swam, who despite his ascerbic verbal repartee, is as honest and as non-violent a person you would ever want to meet has been:
A. Robbed at gunpoint
B. Had his house broken into
C. Had his car broken into
D. Had two bicycles stolen
E. Jumped and beaten by a gang of 13 youths
F. Attacked by the National Bull-riding Champion in a public place

All of these were totally unprovoked on my part. So much for your anecdotal evidence of karma. Now some Swami detractors may clap there hands with glee and go "See? There is karma!" Well, enjoy my misfortune, but it was undeserved in these cases with no previous acts committed of a like kind by me.

Pardon if this sounds like whining, because it isn't. That is not my style. These are just the crap of life and relate to nothing at all, but being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How many people believe the victims of the WTC and their families "deserved" what they got? Not me!

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #583841 - 03/20/02 12:19 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

I dont think karma should be thought to be deserved. It should be more like "what goes around could come around" ... I dont think if you do something nice you should expect something niceto be done to you. It would be nice if it happend, but the purpose is to do something nice regardless of the reward. Same as doing bad, doing good right after doesnt make the bad not happen, but it could change some things. I think it can happen many ways...If you do nice things, people are likely to do nice htings to you, same if you do bad things. If you do nice things, you generally have a better mindset, and will be rewarded. Just shit like that. I dont think the whole world is controlled by karma, shit happens. The WTC people didnt deserve what they got, but maybe the United States, who the attack was aimed at did? I dont know, im not saying we did, but there are more factors than that too it, and once again.,..shit happens. :P

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineDivine_Madness

#584116 - 03/20/02 09:53 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

How many people believe the victims of the WTC and their families "deserved" what they got? Not me!

I do!
And if you look at the facts, this could be just the beginning...

Swami, I notice that you have a very selective reply tactic....is this coincedence?
For me it actually looks like that the way you take on arguments and points, and use scientific back up, is the same way as shroomism believes his UFO stuff and writes his posts. You both seem to ignore the parts you cant explain with your convictions.
Sorry if these are wrong accusations, but this is the way I see it.

--------------------
its all placebo

OfflineDivine_Madness

#584127 - 03/20/02 10:03 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Ow, and the parts you named with israel and stuff, are only the more obvious karmatic reactions.
I also dont think their is some cosmic score keeping, but I think karma acts in some way the same as gravitiy, as soon as you stop going your own way, it pulls you down, and the farther you are, the longer it will take to have its full effect, but the effect will be way more heavy.

--------------------
its all placebo

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#584136 - 03/20/02 10:19 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Swami, I notice that you have a very selective reply tactic....is this coincedence?
Coincidence with what? I usually point out the inconsistent logic in someone's statement, so, yes that is selective.

You both seem to ignore the parts you cant explain with your convictions.
A person's opinion about something cannot be refuted, but making inconsistent or illogical statments can be refuted.

In an earlier post, the poster used anecdotal evidence to support Karma. I used personal anecdotal evidence to refute that. (BTW, anecdotal evidence is not accepted as a valid argument in any school of logic).

If you have a problem with my style, then make a specific point rather than some vague generalization and I promise to respond thoughtfully.

--------------------

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #584355 - 03/20/02 02:40 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

The easiest way I know to understand karma which I think I explained in the other thread....is to think of everything you do as a seed....whatever you plant will grow.
It doesn't mean "be good to others and then good will come to you." It's more plant the seed and the harvest will eventually come (if the crop is not destroyed) or if weeds or already existing plants haven't choked it out.... or some such thing....
Realize that I'm being "brief".....as books could be written about this and there would still be room for discussion.
Keep in mind that "doing good to others" is like planting a seed that will in fact produce according to "its kind" but it is not insurance against the normal everyday trials of life......
The other thing I have noticed with some people is that they throw their "negative harvests" at people around them. At work I know an individual who does really nasty things and then the people she is closest to suddenly have "bad" things start to happen to them. Kids get sick, the people themselves get sick, fires break out strangely at the time of interaction with this person, etc.,.
Again I'm being brief.....
The next thing to consider is that if you feel unworthy to receive good it has a tendency to elude you....the harvest (good or bad) can pass you by.
My personal feeling is that it does eventually work out to be equal in your life......

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: Tannis]
    #584548 - 03/20/02 06:38 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

When you asked whether the WTC victims deserved what they got, you were'nt taking into mind all the aspects of karma, because ...

1. those people killed many bugs and insects accidently as all people do, which inadvertantly throws bad karma at you, and karma can be brought upon someone in this manner, because karma can build "interest" theoretically, so even though that cockroache that the security guard killed that was in his house, was very small, and had a very small life force or energy, the interest built, which is a way to explain why karma produced this, against these people

Now, non believers may say that is the most ridiculous explanation of bad events, but this can be proved, persay, so that this explanation is better then none, or the most common christian explanation might be that, "God works in mysterious ways"

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: nugsarenice]
    #584565 - 03/20/02 07:03 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Interesting, yet I highly doubt that these few thousand were the leading bug killers in America!!!!  :smile:    Maybe the fact that these people were the epitome of our rediculously capitalist society.  Just a thought. 

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Karma comes around, does it? [Re: MentalHygene]
    #584583 - 03/20/02 07:24 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

...or most prosaic explanantion: they were just victims of a random occurence. Random in the sense that though the incident was preplanned, no specific people were targeted. They simply had "bad luck".

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies