Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
HYDROPONICS
    #5420870 - 03/19/06 11:34 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

So here we go... into the land of water.

Do ebb and flow systems keep a running stream of water always? Or are there timers you can get for the pumps? I can only seem to get literature about timed pumps, but the one seriously impressive hydro setup I've seen was a constant water, like a river, system. And in your opinion, which is better?

Would a standard fertilizer, Fox Farm, that's made for soil be alright to use in this type of system, or is a strictly hydroponic nutrient a necessity?

How much root space (on average) would be needed for a 12" X 3" cola? Could two cubes 2"x2"x2" stacked on each other hold them, or is more needed?

Is hydrogen proxide a good idea to use frequently? And would it be for the direct benifit of the plant, or eradication of infestations in the water? Both?

Should nutrients be in supply for most of the plants life, at constant lower levels; or go in cycles as well, but be a stroger concentration when they do get them?

With no testing/monitoring equiment at all, how often is a complete system flush recommended? Can anybody recommend a good ph, EC and temperatue meter available? Hopefully not too expensive  :smirk:

Well, i do believe i'm done. Thank you very much  :grin:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Celtic Isles
Re: HYDROPONICS [Re: Hrethic]
    #5421674 - 03/20/06 09:10 AM (18 years, 3 days ago)

Hey dude. Ebb and flow is a great hydro system, I would think a constant flow would be best. The main worries you have when not doing this is that the water will go stagnent. So a constant flow should prevent this, also you could use an aquarium air pump to keep the O2 levels up. Plants love this. Also pH should be 5.5-6.2 in a water and nutrient mix(aim for just under 6). I personally use a drip and drain hydro method. I prefer to keep the nutrients slightly below the recommended amount, but feed more often. I think this would work well for you too. I don't yet have an EC meter, as the cheapest one I can find is ?40. I do have a universal indicator liquid kit, which only cost ?5 and is accurater to about 0.5 pH. There are bvetter ones out there but they cost ?40+. It is recommended to flush and clean the system every month, but i only do it once every three months with no noticible ill effects.
This shows you how to make your own pH test kit:-
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa012803a.htm
Or tyry ebay, you'd be surprised what you can pick up there.
Good luck!

Dr J

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Re: HYDROPONICS [Re: DrJ]
    #5421685 - 03/20/06 09:15 AM (18 years, 3 days ago)

Also, use a water filter to fill up your system. This lowers the EC of your water by up to 90% and makes more room for usefull nutrients.

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
Re: HYDROPONICS [Re: DrJ]
    #5422939 - 03/20/06 07:32 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

Sweet, thanks for the response man. Any info on whether i can use a regular soil fert without any difficulties? And hydrogen peroxide, do you use it?

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #5430036 - 03/22/06 01:38 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

IME, an organic soil fertilizer is near disastrous to a hydro system. I had a DWC bucket and I thought it a good idea to supplement the hydro nutrients I had with a little Earth Juice. Bad idea! Algae and other stuff began to overtake the reservoir, turning the roots a dirty brown and necessitating more reservoir changes. I don't think the plant suffered too much, but if left unchecked it certainly could cause some problems.
By the way, DWC is the easiest system for small, beginning setups. It's just a bucket and an air pump. Good way to get a feel for the hydro scene. Good luck!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

#5430268 - 03/22/06 02:38 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Hrethic said:
Sweet, thanks for the response man. Any info on whether i can use a regular soil fert without any difficulties? And hydrogen peroxide, do you use it?

I have toyed with the idea of keeping water snails in the nutrient tank to eat the algea. This should help, personally, i just make sure as little light as possible reaches the resevour (including light shining through thin plasic side's of tank) so the algea doesn't grow too fast. Even so, the tank should be cleaned every 1-2 months. Sometimes i leave it longer, but then the drippers get blocked sometimes.
You can also get enzymes that will break down organic matter in the tank and medium. I use Cannazym.

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

#5430283 - 03/22/06 02:41 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Hydrogen peroxide (USE FOOD GRADE STUFF ONLY) will add extra O2 to your water, but a cheaper long term option is to use and aqurium air pump as it'll pump loads of air into the water.

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds