Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

An Explaination, Question, and some Hydroponic Suggestions.
    #3692439 - 01/28/05 06:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hi guys. My grandmother, who raised my sister and I, just passed away so I've been a bit out of balance lately. I also had to resign from my job because they did not have the funds to pay me anymore, which is a big bummer...  I was sitting there yesterday wondering what I could do to help ease this grieving and realized that I haven't been to the ethnogarden for sometime.. That is the missing link in my life... You guys..  I have been spending my free time working on my indoor garden and on my hydroponics. I highly recommend the book "How To Hydroponics" by keith roberto

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...7961868-5518266

It has very detailed instructions for beginners to build their own hydro systems with easily obtainable material. I got my copy from Barnes and noble but amazon sells it for pretty cheap. They also list all of the various types of systems and details on how to construct many of them. I recommend shopping at www.WormsWay.com to obtain your hydroponics supplies.. For those of you new to hydroponics I recommend getting 'General Hydroponics - FloraSeries (FloraMicro, FloraGro, and FloraBloom)' as well as some Hydroton and Net Pots. Its a good investment and you can do a lot with that stuff. They sell hydroponic systems for anywhere from $60 to $500 .. mostly aroun $200.. If you buy 'How To Hydroponics' you can learn to build the systems for around $50 if you buy the stuff new.. but you can usually find the supplies laying around the house .. My DWC and NFT systems cost me around $20 total. I also suggets investing in a good Fountain Pump and a Fish Tank Bubbler with an Air Curtain (rather than an air stone).

If you do not wish to spend that much money on Hydronutrients you can simply purchase some Peters 20-20-20 Water soluble nutrient solution. Here is a list of easily obtainable hydro materials.(usually locally at walmart and Hardware stores)

When using the FloraSeries: For starting small/young plants off in hydro systems I add 1/4th tsp of FloraMicro to 1 gallon of dH2O (never add FM directly to the other nutrients).. then I add 1/4th teaspoon of FloraGro and GloraBloom. I top it off with 1/8th teaspoon SuperThrive and use this in my DWC systems.... well its more of a SWC (Shallow water system)..
Nutrients
Peters 20-20-20 h2o soluble plant food
SuperThrive (I like to combine Peters and SuperThrive for a cheap quick fix)
MegaGro(MegaGro contains Potassium Gibberellate and is available at some garden centers)

Aggregates
PeaGravel
Marbles
Sand
Perlite

Containers
Opaque TubberWare/RubberMade Container
24'' Rectangle Planter Box (Make sure there are no holes in the bottom)
1 quart "Mix 'n Measure" Clear Plastic Container $.59 a piece in the paint section. These work well for drip systems. I bought two of them, put them inside each other, used the bottom one for a reservoir and put a small fountain pump in it... simple system. You may want to put scotch tape around it or paint it black.
(Be creative - you can use many different containers. Try not to purchase clear containers)

Accessories
All available at walmart in pet(fish)section
Fish Tank Bubbler
14'' Air Curtain
Air Stones
Clear Plastic Tubing
Fish Tank Glass Thermometer with Suction Cup
Litmus Paper to check pH Available at Hobby Lobby (science section)

anyways,, I thought I would just share a bit of info of the top of my head, sorry I dont have time to put it in essay form right now.. Hope that helps someone..

Now, for the question.

Anyways, Many years ago when I first began exploring new species I attempted an experiment with unripe mulberries, which you can read the trip report on erowid... I recall reading a post in the past, somewhere , that there is new information regarding Mulberry.. Appearantly that the active constituents have been discovered and such.. but I cannot find that damn post.. Can someone please update me regarding this as I need the information to complete one of my new compilation works..

I have been digging through my library trying to compile strange lists of botanicals that have been used for various reasons and in various ways... for instance, specifically by insufflation, use with tobacco or as a tobacco substitute, ingested sublingually by chewing/ingesting by administration to an open wound (What would the scientific term for that be)? etc etc

I do not have the lists completed yet but I may go ahead and post the incomplete version of it or list a few plants later on...

I am also trying to learn my latin so I know what all those epitaths mean.... I have simply been writing them down as I read the deffinitions in one of my field guides.. Does anyone know of a list online that explains that plant latin name meanings?

Well I gotta head to work. really wish I could have expanded this post more... but im already late.. I'll check up on it later.. I wish the best to you all and its great to be posting on here again.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: An Explaination, Question, and some Hydroponic Suggestions. [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3692463 - 01/28/05 06:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ive got an ebb and flow, and a DWC bucket and I couldnt be happier. Organic Hydro is a great way to grow plants. Welcome Back! :cool:

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
    #3692469 - 01/28/05 06:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother and your job. Really glad to see you back though  :sun:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: An Explaination, Question, and some Hydroponic Suggestions. [Re: Young_but_cool]
    #3693093 - 01/28/05 10:55 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"Sorry to hear about your grandmother and your job. Really glad to see you back though"

Agreed. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3695321 - 01/28/05 08:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

sorry about your grand mother, but it's good to 'see you' back!

FH :heart: :heart: :heart: :sun:

OfflineGoaM
damaged
 User Gallery

Loc: khole
    #3697494 - 01/29/05 08:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

:grin: :heart: :heartpump: :lol:

--------------------

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: An Explaination, Question, and some Hydroponic Suggestions. [Re: GoaM]
    #3701583 - 01/30/05 08:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Awww shucks thanks guys. I really appreciate the suppost as I am in a mental rut lately and that hasn't plauged me for some time... I am 100% clean and sober thanks to my MMT (well clean besides the methadone but thats why i'm clean) and my life has really turned around now that im not constantly sticking sharp things in my arm. Oh yeah, I thought I would recommend "The Herb Society Of America: New Encyclopedia of HERBS and their users" published by DK.. I own several DK books, some that I really do not like and I wasn't going to purchase this book when I first saw it.. but upon further investigation it proved to be HIGHLY COMPLETE! My wife and I always laugh at all these "The Complete Encyclopedia of Herbs" books because there are like 50 books at B&N and Borders that claim to be "Complete" encyclopedia's of herbs... but most of them are far from complete. Another good book I purchased recently on herbs is actually pretty complete and I bought it based mainly on the fact that it lists Constituents.. "Natural Health: Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine" another one by DK.

Here is a very rough draft of my essay im working on...

Botanicals Utilized As Fish Poisons (Stunning Fish)
-Mullien (Verbascum thapsis):
-Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia): Powdered bark used for toothache. Seeds and young foliage are poisonous. The powdered seeds have ben used in ponds and slow moving water to catch fish, which become groggy and float to the surface.
-Lead Plant (Amorpha canescens): The roots and stems contain rotenon, which is used as an fish poison,

Insect Repelling Herbs
-Sweet Woodruff (Galium odoratum): Used in sachets for the linen cupboard to repel insects.
-Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): Dried flowers used to deter insects
-Lead Plant (Amorpha canescens): The roots and stems contain rotenon, which is used as an insecticide

Botanicals Used as Coffee and Tea Substitutes
-Goosegrass (Galium aparine): Seeds used as coffee substiute
-Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale): Roots roasted to make coffee substitute.
-Kentucky Coffee Tree (Gymnocladus dioica): The pulp from the pod was used by Native Americans to treat "Lunacy". The Meskwaki and other tribes made coffee from roasted. The wood has been used for posts, furniture , fuel, and construction. Small Clones can occur from root sprouts.
-New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus americanus): The root imparts a red color to water. Native Americans used the leaves to make tea. The colonists use it as a patriotic substitue for black tea after the boston tea party.
-Lead Plant (Amorpha canescens): Leaves used to make a pleasant tasting yellow brown tea.

Botanicals that yield dye

-False Indigo (Amorpha fruticosa): Some species yield a poor indigo dye.
-Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa): The black fleshy fruits at one time were used for dyeing hair black.
-RedRoot (Ceanothus herbaceus): The roots are a deep red color and can be used to make dye.
-Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida): Native Americans prepared a scarlet dye from the roots to color their color their quills and feathers.

Botanical sources of Fibers and Wood
-Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa): Wood once used for small articles such in crafts. The black fleshy fruits at one time were used for dyeing hair black.
-Rough-leaved dogwood (Cornus drummondii): Chew sticks are made by cutting off a small stem several inches long, removing the outer bark, and chewing on the top to soften the fibers, which can then be used to massage the gums.
-Stiff dogwood (Cormus foemina): This hard, tuff, splinter free wood was used in making skewers to hold meat together while cooking.

Botanicals Administered via Smoking (Tobacco Substitutes and Additives)

-Smooth Sumac (Rhus glabra): Native Americans Smoke the Rolled leaves as a treatment for asthma.
A white sticky sap excudes from broken stems. The leaves are reported to have been mixed with tobacco and smoked. The twigs, leaves, and roots were used for staining and dyeing.
-Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpureus): Native Americans used the powdered bark for tobacco and the wood from the straight stems of the plant for arrows. Relatively fast growing, short lived shrub to small tree, often sprouting from the roots.
-Mullien (Verbascum thapsis):

Botanicals Administered via Insufflation (Snuffs)
-Magnolia Tree (Magnolia officinalis): Jon Ott reports that leaves of the Magnolia tree are snuffed as a sort of "Mild Dope"

Botanicals Administered Sublingualy (Quids)

Botanicals Administered SubCutaneously (Open Wound and Burns)

-Lead Plant (Amorpha canescens):The Omaha Indians powdered the dried leaves and blew them into cuts and open wounds to help promote scab formation.

I know that there are several obvious plants missing from those subjects but I have so many various essays im working on that I haven't payed too much attention to this one.. Ive also been busy trying to peddle my bulk seeds, which takes up a lot of my time.

Oh yes,, In another post we came to the conclusion that the smooth pod variety of Datura stramonium is considered to be D. stramonium var. inermis but I cannot find reference to this at all. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to prove to me that it is infact inermis variety. Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3702023 - 01/30/05 11:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I probably won't be growing with hydroponics anytime soon, but I did find this thread to be very helpful.

That one site you suggested, have you purchased through them before?

I am very sad to hear about your loss, I lost my grandma (both of them) at a very young age, but I do remember what it felt like - it was bad to say the least.  Really glad to see you back in the garden man :heart: :thumbup:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder