Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestonedbygrass
Stranger
Re: Growing salvia hydroponicly [Re: ]
    #357506 - 07/19/01 10:57 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I know hydro doesn't equal a HID, that's why I mentioned you can do hydro under the "full spectrum of the sun"; I simply said HID because a lot of growers with hydro setups use HIDS (or flouros but that is generally not as good).
Also note that I repeaditly said that depending on variables, and if they are equal or not determines the plant-- not just being hydro.

When a plant goes into flowering is catalyzed by the day/night cycle of light that the plant is exposed too. You can influence this by limiting or giving all the possible light to the plant to inhibit or catalyze the plant into the next cycle. While the plant is growing, using hydro to give the correct nutes (you can do with soil but it is far eaiser with hydro, plus oxygen to the root system using hydro) to increase the growth rate AND health of the plant so it is more able to produce a heightened potency.
That is why I said hydro can LEAD, not for sure, (which i mentioned again that hydro is fully dependent on the skill of the grower) to a higher potency more easily.

The smoke has to do with drying a lot I agree.

I never said wind and rain ruin the potency, if anything, certain stresses (like wind) strengthen the stock of the plant so the buds can get fuller (and the plant can support them).

I did fuck up on genetics, what I meant to say was simply that genetics doesn't play the limiting factor in the potency: shitty quality marijuana doesn't ness. mean that the seeds will have a max potency as the mother plant. -- This is what i meant.
I agree, selevtive breeding (for genetics) does have a huge factor in the potency of the harvest: but, if the growing sucks, so will the potency.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestonedbygrass
Stranger
Re: Growing salvia hydroponicly [Re: holographic mind]
    #357516 - 07/19/01 11:02 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I got one part of it wrong, doesn't mean I dont know shit.
Thanks for explaining in detail that aspect of the grow, I was misinformed (and I had read that long ago :P

As I said in the other post, I meant that genetics isn't ness. the inhibiting factor of the potency: a good grow can (and most likely will) have better potency than its shwag mother.

And, again, harvesting and curing play a huge role in the taste of the smoke; I complelty agree. In fact, I think (verify this?) that if you let the harvest dry in a circadian cycle (for tempature rises/losses) more of the chlorphyl will die out and the smoke will be a lot less harsh.

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

Re: Growing salvia hydroponicly [Re: stonedbygrass]
    #357549 - 07/19/01 11:45 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

circadian adj 1: of or relating to biological processes occurring at 24-hour intervals; "circadian rhythms" 2: (biology) exhibiting 24-hour periodicity

"In fact, I think (verify this?) that if you let the harvest dry in a circadian cycle (for tempature rises/losses) more of the chlorphyl will die out and the smoke will be a lot less harsh."

Excuse me? Come again? chlorphyl is broken down during the process of curing. Curing essentially means to slow the process of drying towards the end of the drying process. The reason it is done towards the end of drying is because this is when the buds are still moist but not so moist that they easily mold. The partially dried floral clusters are first placed in a sealed bag over night in a dark, cool location. this allows moisture from the inner bud and stem to distribute more evenly throughout the entire floral cluster. then the buds are lightly filled into brown paper bags and the bags are folded closed. The bags allow moisture transpiration but slow evaporation. The flowers still contain sufficient water therefor they are still alive. The plants (flowers) food supply (nutrients) is of course thwarted so the flower begins to break down stored starchs and pigments (chlorophyl) into sugars (food). Oxygen must be present so the bags are aired out at least daily. after they have dried a bit in the paper bags they are then placed losely into glass jars. the jars are aired out daily and the buds are carefully fluffed. over the course of a few weeks the frequency of air exchange is decreased until eventually the buds have between a 10-15% moisture content. At this point the buds are ready to be smoked and can be sealed indefinitely. the cure produces a smoother smoke and more fragrent aroma. Some say it increases potency, but it probably SLIGHTLY decreases potency.

Offlinestonedbygrass
Stranger
Re: Growing salvia hydroponicly [Re: holographic mind]
    #357558 - 07/19/01 11:53 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Err I meant circadian as in just a 24 hour cycle; I meant that I once read that leaving the marijuana to dry in a climate variant (on the 24h cycle of night/day where nights are colder than days) initializes some mechanism in the plant to break down the chlorpyhll more (or more faster).

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

Re: Growing salvia hydroponicly [Re: stonedbygrass]
    #357573 - 07/20/01 12:23 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Temperature variation would affect humidity level which wouldn't be good. Excessive heat would hasten drying and also degrade thc. The drying area temperature should be mild, room temperature. air circulation should be adequate to prevent stagnation which leads to mold. Air circulation also facilitates moisture transpiration. The drying buds shouldnot be exposed to light. Humidity should be mild, 40-60% rH. This area should be clean also.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies