Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Am I Psychic?
    #4642603 - 09/10/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Over the past year, and well before the hurricane, I had been considering revisiting New Orleans.

On more than one occasion while thinking about this, I had the very clear thought "Don't wait.  New Orleans won't be around too much longer."  The analytical logical side of my brain didn't know what to make of those thoughts.  "Why won't it be around?  It's not going anywhere, don't be silly." 

Am I psychic or is there some other "logical" explanation?

And no, I won't be taking the Randi or Swami challenge... :grin:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4642626 - 09/10/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sorry too cynical edit.

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#4642637 - 09/10/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would suggest that you already know the answer to that question.

Of course, by posting the question here you're subjecting it to the scrutiny and either support or ridicule of others. Are you ready to receive both, and will either one change what you know about your experience?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4642699 - 09/10/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Despite popular misuse of the word, telling the future is a not a psychic ability.

Answer: no.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Gliders]
    #4642706 - 09/10/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I would suggest that you already know the answer to that question.

Of course, by posting the question here you're subjecting it to the scrutiny and either support or ridicule of others. Are you ready to receive both, and will either one change what you know about your experience?

And what would you suggest the answer is? To me, it is a definite who knows? I mean, when we have unexplained thoughts or "hunches" that later manifest themselve with an "explanation", we could either be psychic, intuitive or just plain lucky.

I do know that when I trust my "hunches" without questioning them through my logical brain that's when I do my best.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4643081 - 09/10/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

New Orleans is a big city. Every day many thousands of people consider visiting it.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4643120 - 09/10/05 06:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

New Orleans is a big city. Every day many thousands of people consider visiting it.

Can you even get flights into New Orleans now? Do you think thousands will be driving into New Orleans for fun on Bourbon Street tonight? After all, it's Saturday night...

--------------------

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#4643132 - 09/10/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:

I do know that when I trust my "hunches" without questioning them through my logical brain that's when I do my best.

That's the answer! Whether you want to call it psychic or not, whether you can define the phenomenon or not, whether you know how it works, you know that it does and it's effective. Everything else is just an exercise in semantics.

I guess my thought on it is, that looking to other people to verify your position is opening a can of worms, unless you're secure in it already. It either works for you or it doesn't. You can't offer proof or hard evidence unless you can verify that you actually had the thought beforehand, and even then you can't offer empirical evidence that it was anything more than a random thought that just got lucky. You only know these things on the inside as an experience, and that's all the evidence you need.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Gliders]
    #4643237 - 09/10/05 06:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Right you are. If it works, it works. But, that which can't be explained doesn't necessarily not work just because it can't be explained.

An example I have made of that which works but is unexplained is dowsing otherwise known as water witching. It works, but no one knows how. The skeptics on the board (Swami etc.) point to a lack of "scientific verifiable proof" as absolute proof dowsing is a hoax. Yet, well drillers hire dowsers every day to tell them where to dig their wells. Why would they pay someone to perform this service if the service didn't provide results? Superstition?

Here's a real life example of dowsing working. A friend of mine bought a property that had a lousy well that put out about 2 GPM. He hired a well driller and together they decided where to drill the new well. No dowser was used. This guy is a real cheapskate and will try to cut a penny in half to try to save some money. So, he figured why pay a dowser a hundred and fifty bucks?

The dry hole that the well driller dug went down 700 feet at at which point the cost to my friend was $ 10,000. My friend then hired a dowser who told him not only where to drill the well, but that at 300 feet depth they would find 20 GPM of flow. The new well was dug to 300 feet where sure enough water at the rate of 20 GPM flowed. This is no shit and when I heard it was even more amazed.

I had told this skeptical friend before he dug that he should hire a dowser. "Oh no, I walked the property with the well driller and we both decided this was where to dig", he said. OK I told him. Now he's out an extra $ 6,000 (the well driller cut the cost of his normal price of $ 10,000 for the 700 foot dry hole in exchange for redrilling where the dowser said to).

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4643257 - 09/10/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I was refering to before the hurricane which was when you were considering your visit. When New Orleans is the focus of so many people's thought, thinking about isn't likely to be a confirmed psychic experience.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4643345 - 09/10/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's not his thinking about it that was put into question. It was his thinking for no reason at all that it wouldn't be there to visit much longer that he is putting into question. He is wondering why he had those thoughts.

Do you think of going rafting in colorado because the rivers will dry up soon? You have no logical or rational reason to think they will dry up soon. What if they did next month because of some natural disaster. That would freak you out too I bet.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4643406 - 09/10/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

While I have some level of belief in psychic phenomenon, I also cannot equate a coincidence with psychic activity...it is too inconclusive. Debating it is even pointless because of the inconclusive nature of the experience. One is left purely with speculation and little else.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4643427 - 09/10/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

That would freak you out too I bet.

That it did.  I mean, to have these thoughts not once but a few times struck me as odd.  Like you say, where was NO going to go? 

I don't have similar thoughts about vacationing in Hawaii and thinking I had better get over there quick before the next tsunami.

The experience has shown me yet again that my subconscious mind is a powerful thing and when it talks I should listen more instead of running my thoughts through my analytical logical meat grinder.  Hamburger is so boring... :blush:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#4643472 - 09/10/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

One is left purely with speculation and little else.

Successful speculators are one of the wealthiest groups of individuals in the world. That and people that inherit wealth.

Do you think successful speculation is all about technical and fundamental analysis?

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (09/10/05 07:59 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4643559 - 09/10/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think it is based on a variety of stimuli both concious and subconcious. We absorb information from a variety of sources many of which we are conciously unawre of. A good book about this process of intuition and speculation is "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker, a Secret Service analyst who analyzes and prioritizes potential security threats. To say every instance of percieved intuition is based in psychic phenomenon is making a lot of invalid assumptions.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#4643620 - 09/10/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

think it is based on a variety of stimuli both concious and subconcious. We absorb information from a variety of sources many of which we are conciously unawre of. A good book about this process of intuition and speculation is "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker, a Secret Service analyst who analyzes and prioritizes potential security threats.

Good thoughts and I will check out the book.  Sounds interesting.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Swami]
    #4645023 - 09/11/05 06:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Despite popular misuse of the word, telling the future is a not a psychic ability.

Answer: no.

If you want to be technical, get out a dictionary and it will proove you wrong. In otherwords, one could as easily proove this in the other direction, and it could swing back and forth for ever between the like minded skeptic and the spiritual charlatine. I think the matter is a silly one to put a debate too. And an evin more silly one to start putting fixed labels on. I can read my futures mind in the aspect that I plan to do this or that or will to become this or that.

In other words, I would never call myself psychic, but I might have psychit abilities. It is senseless to cease in an illusion of dumbwitted words that people made for things there isn't currently much scientific advancement to back it up upon. I say this to everyone, and yes often times I live in that world. That might be the fault of language, I am not sure.

Edited by Worldbridger (09/11/05 06:30 AM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Worldbridger]
    #4651056 - 09/12/05 03:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Merriam Webster said:
psy?chic

1 : of or relating to the psyche : PSYCHOGENIC
2 : lying outside the sphere of physical science or knowledge : immaterial, moral, or spiritual in origin or force
3 : sensitive to nonphysical or supernatural forces and influences : marked by extraordinary or mysterious sensitivity, perception, or understanding.

Nope, no specific mention of precognition (foretelling the future).

However...

Quote:

Wikipedia said:

Parapsychology

The phenomena in question fall into two broad groups.

Extra-sensory perception (ESP) is also known as anomalous cognition, and includes telepathy, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairalience, clairgustance, clairsentience and precognition.

Anomalous operation includes psychokinesis (in the past referred to as telekinesis), out-of-body experiences, astral projection, near-death experiences, mediumship, and reincarnation.

The general term "psi phenomena" (or the somewhat older term, "psychic phenomena," which was said to be the "psi factor" in an experiment) covers all of these categories.

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Loc: UK
Re: Am I Psychic? [Re: Veritas]
    #4651268 - 09/12/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'll put my 10 cents worth in. I haven't read all the posts so I'm not commenting on what has been said. What I will say is, sometimes we get thoughts pop into our head and we think "that was a bit odd, what the hell has that got to do with anything?". Don't dismiss them, the reason they seem odd is because quite often they didn't originate in your head.
An example:
A few years ago I had a really strong thought pop into my head, like a news flash. It went along the lines of an old woman has fallen down. I'm fairly open to this type of shit but I thought, yeah, so what has this got to do with me and forgot about it.

The next day I get a phone call to say my grandmother had fallen and was on the floor for hours by her self. I phoned my Nan to see if she was all right. The first thing she said to me was, "you knew didn't you" I said "yes" and she put the phone down on me.

Listen to your inner thoughts, if you get a "thats odd" thought take notice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order