Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too
    #4490436 - 08/03/05 04:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I thought my syringes would come w/ needles already on the syringes :frown:  I had my jars ready to inoculate then when i realized i had no needle.  the needles came in a seperate package.  :frown: is this a new thing?

I built a glove box and put all the syringes in and sprayed everything really good w/ lysol and let some oust go.  Is there such thing as spraying too many chemicals in the box?  I was afraid maybe some oust or lysol would get into the syringes when i open them and kill the spores.

The next problem i ran into was the blue cap on the needless syringe is IMPOSSIBLE to get off...or maybe i just have girly hands.  The gloves were all slipery from the lysol and i couldnt get a grip on the cap.  is there a special tool i can by to easily twist the cap off?  they were from spores 101

I never intended on using a glovebox until i saw i had no needless...omg, what a PITA.  im going back to ralphsters :laugh: 

It just seems kind of weird that they would take the time to prepare a syringe for you, doing all that sterile work, and not go the extra step and screw on a needle, but they do screw on a cool looking end cap :confused:  I might as well be making my own syringes from spore prints.

eheheh, sorry, had to vent :wink:  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: donkey_lipz]
    #4490475 - 08/03/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I dont know if this helps, but the caps I usually get, screw off, not pull off, counter clockwise?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: rod]
    #4490523 - 08/03/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They ship better without the needle on. The cap should twist off easily, you could grab it with your teeth and twist the syringe with your hand if its on there really good.

Just wait till you actually go making your own syringes, if you think its as easy as screwing on a needle..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: donkey_lipz]
    #4490543 - 08/03/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They put that cap on to prevent spore solution from squirting out during shipping, not to piss you off. The whole glovebox thing is going overboard IMO. Just wash your hands, twist the cap off the syringe, open the needle package on the side opposite to the needle. Then push the needle out of the package through the bag just until the end that you twist onto the syringe is sticking out. Twist it onto the needle and you're good to go. If you are really paranoid, just spray Lysol, Oust, etc in the work area before you do this.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: FooMan]
    #4490555 - 08/03/05 05:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh by the way, my last syringes from Ralphster a few weeks ago, were shipped the same way.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: FooMan]
    #4490569 - 08/03/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

thank you very much!!! will oust and lysol kill my spores if trace ammounts get into the syringes?

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
    #4490573 - 08/03/05 05:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i asked my dentist and he said use pliers instead of your teeth

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cant get cap off syringe to install needle :(...glove box q's too [Re: walkclothed]
    #4490603 - 08/03/05 05:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well its not like its something you have to even bite, your fingers should easily twist it off, its just a little tiny plastic cap, teeth just get a good grip, and it definatly wont hurt them, its not like a bottle cap or anything, people chew theyre food harder then youd have to bite. But pliers do work too if you got that sort of fancy equipment :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4490607 - 08/03/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

donkey_lipz said:
thank you very much!!! will oust and lysol kill my spores if trace ammounts get into the syringes?

They shouldn't get into the syringe unless you spray directly on it. I have done what I said above without spraying anything and had no problems. The hole on the syringe is small, like the holes in PF jar lids. Chances of anything going into the hole are slim. Face the syringe downward while you do it if you are that concerned with something dropping into it.

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4490616 - 08/03/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Also, the mist from the spray(s) should have dissipated by the time you get started.

--------------------

Offlinesk8boy712
Stranger
    #15338731 - 11/08/11 01:10 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I realize these posts are old as hell but here my ?.. i was concerned with contamination.. bc once you screw the little blue cap off to put the needle on.. wouldnt that potentially expose the spores to unwanted contams??  i also think i may have ruined a whole syringe of PE by unscrewing the blue cap and in attempt to put on the needle, accidentally tilted the syringe upside down almost dropping it and plugged it w my finger (wearing gloves).. I did sanitize the gloves w alcohol inside of my glove box(which was y it was so hard to remove the lid in 1st place and y i almost dropped it due to restriction).  Anyways, any info on this would be awesome.. ive looked through the forums and no one has posted ANYTHING about contamination after screwing off the blue cap off the syringe.. also im wondering if i should toss the full syringe of PE after what happened... or still try to use it.. bc I almost dropped it and feared i may have contaminated the spore inside of it.. i decided to cap it back up and not use it on my substrates.. still a newbie.. my apologies for the ridiculous ?s

OfflinePocketRevolution
Stranger
questionable advice [Re: sk8boy712]
    #15340724 - 11/08/11 03:20 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It's usually not recommended to beginners to start with agar, but when I finally did start messing about with agar I found that the "cleaning up sample" use of agar plates is relatively easy, as opposed to the "isolating strains" use of agar.  If you're worried about your syringe, you might use it to start experimenting with agar.  RR recommends petri dishes poured from a whiskey bottle but I used wide-mouth half pints PC'd with the agar inside them.  They have disadvantages but you probably already have them (I couldn't fit a whiskey bottle in my PC either).  If you use a few drops from your potentially contaminated syringe to start agar jars, you have some chance of successfully getting some clean mycelium samples, which is better than just tossing out the syringe.  Even if you ruin the whole project, you'll gain experience.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation