Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question
    #2821915 - 06/23/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all. I'm a newbie here. I've been reading faqs and teks like crazy the past few days, trying to plan in my mind/on paper the cultivation process from step to step. There's one point that I haven't read about yet, though. I'm planning to use a glovebox, as sterilizing most of a room isn't easy with the geography of my house.
Anyway...so I've read that one can sterilize the inside of the glovebox with a lysol can inside the box. However, if I were to do this, what about sterilizing the needle inside the box? Won't the aersol light up if I were to put a small alcohol lamp in the box? Or, if I were to let the lysol settle, would this matter? Moreover, if I've just sprayed a contained area (glove box) with lysol, do I need to flame-sterilize the needle? Could one just get away with swabbing with alcohol after the lysol?
And another thing--would having a heavy concentration of lysol in the glove box cause any arm to the spores as they are transferred through the needle?
Many thanks to any who read and respond; this forum and the faqs have been a tremendous resource and have provided several hours of interesting reading over the past couple of weeks.

GB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2821944 - 06/23/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Flame sterilization is a must, but yes, you can blow your box up! I personally do not use a glovebox unless cloning or something. I usually just work on an oven rack with it set to about 300 degress. The heat produces a sterile upward airflow. This is the easiest way I have found to do it, but just don't let your jars set there for over 5 mins or so, because they'll get too hot. Hope this helps.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2822036 - 06/23/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You can definately blow up the box if you arent carefull. Just make sure to let the lysol settle for a while before you use the box to minimize the risk of hurting the spores. The lysol actually takes about 15min to kill everything so you should wait for that reason alone. Im not sure if the vapor inside the box will still be enough to combust because my friend always just flames his needle outside the box and immidiatley puts the needle inside and wipes with a paper towel soaked in alcohol. (he uses a pressurized box so a flame inside would just be blown out) I would be very carefull if you introduce a flame inside with the lysol vapor. As far as the alcohol only method,I have heard it works but I wouldnt trust it by itself.

Good Luck and welcome to the Shroomery!
MYKEY

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2822165 - 06/23/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This glovebox has a built in fan to pump filtered air into the box(it exscapes through the crack in the lid).You can take the lysol and clean the inside thouroughly,then spray the inside of it,

place your supplies in the box and close lid,then let spray the fans filter and let this run for a good 30 minutes

Then innoculate.

I always flame my needle prior to putting it in the box,then I just an alcohol soaked paper towel to wipe it down before and after each innoculation.

I have zero contams this way,just make sure you let the fan run for a good 30-45 minutes after you put everything in,to allow for the lysol to evaporate and the fumes to be pushed out by the fan.

My two pennies

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: QandA]
    #2822332 - 06/23/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: matts]
    #2822336 - 06/23/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I thought the reason you flamed the needle was to kill any contaminates that may have got into the tip of the syringe,where just wiping and spraying would not kill?I guess thats just my extra precaution ! :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #2822352 - 06/23/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

QandA said:
Flame sterilization is a must, but yes, you can blow your box up! I personally do not use a glovebox unless cloning or something. I usually just work on an oven rack with it set to about 300 degress. The heat produces a sterile upward airflow. This is the easiest way I have found to do it, but just don't let your jars set there for over 5 mins or so, because they'll get too hot. Hope this helps.

The Oven Tek is a giant load of crap; you might as well just innoculate right out on your counter.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2822377 - 06/23/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I use a glove box with forced filtered air as well.

I spray it with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Load it up, Turn on the fan and let it run 45 min to 1 hr before use. The alcohol evaporates in that time.

I filter with a nice alergy filter to a hand held dust vac. Box of 2 for 6$ at walmart.

All in all the box cost me $27 I think it was well invested.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: Sev]
    #2822500 - 06/23/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sev said:
The Oven Tek is a giant load of crap; you might as well just innoculate right out on your counter.

what? I use the oven tek all the time for G2G's contam free. The only reason why i built my flowhood is for spawn bags. You dont need to use the oven tek for innoculation but its key for G2G.

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2822522 - 06/23/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The oven tek is great. I don't know wtf you're talking about. I hardly ever have contams. And as far as flame sterilization, I always use it. Maybe some dont, but I like to be safe. Especially, if I don't use the whole syringe in one innoculation round. After being exposed to the air for so long, then stored in that plastic tip, I'd say that it's prone to contams. Just my two shits.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #2823916 - 06/24/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks to everyone who responded! I think I may just make a little hatch in my glovebox for passing jars/needle through. I'll get my gear into the glovebox, flame the needle outside the box, spray lysol locally around hatch in glovebox, then put the needle through, then lysol again inside. From there...well, perhaps alcohol swab between jars.
I'm guessing that this procedure will be sufficient in terms of sterility. If anyone gets back to this thread and catches this, I'd appreciate any comment.
Oh, and I'm getting all excited now. Got this beast of pressure cooker/canner yesterday at the local thrift shop. It works just fine. Nothing like a solid piece of equipment purchased on the cheap to make me giddy.
Thanks again for everyone's help. I will try to avoid lighting myself on fire.

GB

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #2825207 - 06/24/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

QandA said:
The oven tek is great. I don't know wtf you're talking about. I hardly ever have contams.

The oven tek is shit. Have you ever smoked the air and watched the convection currents? The air is constantly moving -- cool air is being drawn in at the bottom of the oven and the sides, warmed, and then flows out the top of the oven. This moving air doesn't reach high enough temperatures to sterilize it. So what happens is that you move -more- nonsterile air over your jars than normal -- and you sweat your gonads off doing it.

If you're just doing innoculations through tyvek or something, you're almost never going to get contams anyway, so long as your spore syringe isn't infected with anything and you're following basic sterile technique.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: Glove box/Lysol/Innoculation question [Re: Sev]
    #2825233 - 06/24/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Listen, before I was using the oven tek, I was just innocluating on the kitchen table. I had about 30% contam rate. I don't anymore. I'll stick with works, thank you. Plus, it's easy and I work outside during the day so I dont sweat over an oven.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2825387 - 06/24/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If its not broke, Don't fix it

:goodluck:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder