Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

nutrient additives
    #4460686 - 07/27/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone add hydro or hydro-organic nutrients to their substrates??? I know someone has to have tried it... If you have did it work and what p-n-k ratios or specific brands have you tried? if you havent added nutrients then WHY NOT?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: nutrient additives [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #4461678 - 07/27/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Never heard of it but i do have hydro nutes, so after i secure my first fruit and make some prints ill experiment with that.

I have MaxiGrO and MaxiBloom.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4461795 - 07/27/05 09:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: ]
    #4462002 - 07/27/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why not??? different plants use all different levels of nutrients and all kinds of formulations are concocted for specific cultivation of those plants. I?m reasonably sure one exists that at a certain concentration will be perfect for mushroom growth. now all I have to do is find out which one... I?m sure some people here have experimented... hopefully they will speak up...

People say that flushes cease to occur when nutrient levels diminish right ? Isn?t it then reasonable to assume that if you added necessary nutrients to mycelium growth could continue?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4462019 - 07/27/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

N is good for Mushrooms.

Why don't we add them?...

B/C there is only so much you can do to increse potency..

You'll end up getting more failures (burning mycelium, making the sub. better for bacterial growth ect ect) to the point where increasing potency doesn't out weight the failures.

If you want to add an extra kick...try spawning to poo and adding a tiny bit of kelp...

If you're that damn worried about potency, grow pans...They'll knock you off your ass.

-Gnostic

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4462046 - 07/27/05 10:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no... I?m not that worried about potency, it just seems weird that everyone is so concerned with what type of substrate you are using... coming from a background in hydroponics... it doesn't matter what substrate you use all that matters is the air to water ratio and the nutrient/vitamin levels... its clear to me that these could be optimized by adding liquid nutrients. shit you could grow mushrooms on coco fiber w/ added nutrients... what?s not so clear to me is why there is such a lack of information regarding nutrients for mushroom growth...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
    #4462078 - 07/27/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I might be way off here, but I put 1/2 tsp Karo (vanilla) to my pf tek jar. I don't know if i will do any thing but I hope it wont hurt.

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: nutrient additives [Re: thremix]
    #4462285 - 07/27/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thremix said:
I might be way off here, but I put 1/2 tsp Karo (vanilla) to my pf tek jar. I don't know if i will do any thing but I hope it wont hurt.

It probably will.

That's a sugary mess (figurativitly speaking)

And Plants are nothing like Mushrooms.

Fungi is way different.

And substrate is a big deal.

It means the difference between Using Sand and Grade-A dirt (for plant growing)...

You can add stuff to help, but There's only so much that you can do..

-Gnostic

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #4462389 - 07/27/05 11:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

a

Edited by memes (10/17/12 04:54 PM)

OfflineLiquid_Silver
Stranger

#4462431 - 07/27/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Quote:

thremix said:

It probably will.

That's a sugary mess (figurativitly speaking)

And Plants are nothing like Mushrooms.

Fungi is way different.

And substrate is a big deal.

It means the difference between Using Sand and Grade-A dirt (for plant growing)...

You can add stuff to help, but There's only so much that you can do..

-Gnostic

So couple of drops of Karo in the pf tek sub-trait will hurt the jar?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: nutrient additives [Re: Liquid_Silver]
    #4462462 - 07/27/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It ups the possiably of contams...

Making conditions more Ideal for bacteria isn't going to help your mycelium in the way you want...

If you want to add shit...

Add a bit of kelp or BM..They contain a great amount of N....

-Gnostic

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

#4464105 - 07/28/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

where would one find kelp? how much would you add in your pf tek?

--------------------

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: memes]
    #4464283 - 07/28/05 11:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Equilibrium - you definitely seem to know what your talking about, and i respect that. but in teh history of mycology, dont you think this has been thought of? and if it's not in common practice (even amongst the pro's), there's probably a reason for it.

Yes, I?m sure it has been thought of. and I?m sure people have tried it. That?s what I?m trying to find, peoples experience... how well it worked. I bet commercial mycologists never were too interested with it because of cost. they want cheap bulk substrates... they don?t have to worry about 'potency' or anything like that. I don?t know, I guess I need to do some research...

I know that agar is coming up with a synthetic substrate that I?m sure uses something similar to what I?m talking about for nutrients... maybe he'll chime in.

I need a better answer then "it doesn't work because other people don?t use it"

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4464312 - 07/28/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

These arent plants man. And agar will tell you, you cant add NPK. He could explain to you why it wouldnt work much better..but you really need to understand these ARENT plants, not at all, not related, not even friggen close. Thats like saying, whats the NPK formula to keep a person alive. Why worry about what food the person eats, you can just give them bread with NPK on it and they'll be fine if you get the correct ratio.

Organic additives can be added, such as worm castings, blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, ect ect to provide some of the extra vitamins and minerals...but were talking small amounts of that stuff. Mushrooms need food to digest, they dont suck up liquid nutrients like plants, they need to eat things, like us.

If that wasnt a good enough explination, agar will have to do better (you may have better results PMing him, hes been busy as of late).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Re: nutrient additives [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4464391 - 07/28/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I read you can add honey or some ting to your pf tek jar. I just don't remember where and how much. I hope 1/2 tsp won't hurt....should I just toss that jar and redo it?

--------------------

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4464551 - 07/28/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

dude people can be fed like that! LOL people need protein/fat/carbohydrates. 40/30/30 is a good one. for dieting some people like 50/40/10.... you don?t have to give them food all you have to do is inject them with these ratios in sufficient calories along with trace vitamins/minerals and they will do just fine  :wink: see what I?m saying? maybe its the npk thing that?s throwing you off. I don?t care about that... what I want to know is what exactly they need to thrive. think of the possibilities... your cake is on its fourth flush and is real weak... just dunk it in some "myco grow" and its flushing again like its brand spankin new. hydroponic mushrooms... its really not that far fetched...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

#4464650 - 07/28/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

what if it's on it's fourth flush. Can you crumble it up and spawn it to hpoo then case? Would that not start it over? Or maybe do it on it's 3rd flush? How about using a spent cake on spawning another?

--------------------

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: thremix]
    #4465306 - 07/28/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok... so what I?ve learned so far is that mushrooms need NPK around
N 0.6
P 0.3
K 1.1
they also need various forms of carbohydrates at around 50

the rest is mostly water + I still need to find what vitamins/minerals and amino acids they need...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4465338 - 07/28/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
N is good for Mushrooms.

Why don't we add them?...

B/C there is only so much you can do to increse potency..

You'll end up getting more failures (burning mycelium, making the sub. better for bacterial growth ect ect) to the point where increasing potency doesn't out weight the failures.

If you want to add an extra kick...try spawning to poo and adding a tiny bit of kelp...

If you're that damn worried about potency, grow pans...They'll knock you off your ass.

-Gnostic

IMO, that's great advice. Manure is the best, fool proof additive there is when used in viable applications. Manures contain enzymes like phosphatase, urease, and arylsulfatase that are workers for the conversion of nutrients from organic forms into inorganic forms that plant life and mushrooms can utilize for optimal health and growth.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: nutrient additives [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4478328 - 07/31/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

bump for agar...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate