Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
my voice
    #4406063 - 07/15/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

edited

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Edited by fung_us_among_us (11/20/13 07:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: my voice [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #4406090 - 07/15/05 12:52 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I guess reading out loud would help. Maybe you should learn to relax, people will accept you with any voice you have.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: my voice [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4406452 - 07/15/05 02:26 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

When I was smoking pot not only daily, but heavily daily, that started to happen to me. My closest friends, whom I used to get along with, I would start to not say much around them, and things started to get awkward, as I would realize I was doing it, and thus try to avoid them. Of course it wasnt just the marijuana, it was mostly do to some intense depression I was having, over various things which arent important here. I worked through the depression and started to become my old self, and started to act friendly and normal as I once did. Then when I cut down on the marijuana smoking, I became a lot more comfortable saying whatever was on my mind, which I wouldnt do before. I always would think that what i was thinking was too strange or weird, or would just sound dumb. Turned out however, that what I was thinknig, most people would find humorous, as it would be off the wall comments, or strange social commentaries that most people wouldnt think of. Of course I later talked to my friends about that quiet period, and they said they thought I was trying to get rid of them as friends. I had always up to that point resented them for it, because I thought that if one of my friends was obviously suffering depression and stating to become quiet, I would try and help him through it. But I realized that they thought I was pushing them away..anyways.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#4406482 - 07/15/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds to me like you are just being overly self-conscious. Try to focus more on other people and how they are relating to you. Then you won't be thinking so much of yourself and how you are perceived by others. Your reactions will be more natural and will come to you more easily.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinegoob
Sleepy

Re: my voice [Re: zorbman]
    #4407059 - 07/15/05 07:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

There's an old Hollywood myth(or fact) that actors with great voices obtained them by yelling with all their might at the top of a mountain, I suppose a bi-plane would do.

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: goob]
    #4407802 - 07/15/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the advice, guys. i've definitely thought about the yelling thing and it seems like itw ould work.. i just need to find somewhere around here thati can do it. it's hard for me to yell for some reason, maybe i can get over that.

TheCow, it sounds like you went through exactly what i am.. so your advice would be to just not worry about it as much and maybe cut down on the pot? it's harder than that but i appreciate the advice anyways.

it's like there's some inherrent barrier between my thougths and my actions, whether body language or my voice. nothing just happens as a reaction, everything is premeditated and planned out in my head. i need spontenaity. i need personality.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4407914 - 07/15/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Your issue could stem from the way you speak.
If you want a strong, calm and collected voice, speak from the belly, and not from your throat/chest. This means speaking with every full belly inhalation/exhalation, and keeping a good posture makes alot of difference as well.

When you try to talk out of your throat, on low breathing-modes, you're going to sound a little.. "different". I think this seems to be a pretty commmon characteristic of those who are deeply unhappy and lack self-esteem. But remember, the simplest things can change your entire world.

If you want to build a stronger breath and better posture, excercise and work diligently, eat healthy.

If you want to learn to be more secure and confident with yourself, then it would also behoove you to practice the enlightening art of "letting go" of your attachments, habits and mind. Be Here Now.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4407939 - 07/15/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah speaking from my belly definitely helps but it's hard to do all the time. sometimes i get nervous and my throat closes up and i can't breathe well.

i'm still not sure whether the problem is actually my voice or jsut my personality. i don't have things to say a lot of times, but sometimes i can be a funny and interesting guy.

--------------------

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
    #4407996 - 07/15/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fung_us_among_us said:
i don't talk much. i think it's because i don't like my voice. if i'm drinking or just in a good mood i talk more and am ok with it.

i don't even know how to describe it. i've got ideas and things to say but i don't because i think it will sound stupid. should i try reading out loud? singing? writing?

has anyone else struggled with this much?

i think it might be attributed to something called depersonalization disorder. which i might have.

oh and if i smoke any pot at all it gets a lot worse and i don't say ANYTHING.

also i don't laugh much i think my laugh sounds dumb.

Brother?!

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: BloodNOil]
    #4408080 - 07/15/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sister?!?

but seriously, help me out guys. my personality is disintegrating by the second.

--------------------

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South
    #4408304 - 07/15/05 05:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have no advice for you.

I just wanted to say how much I like the juxtaposition of the pictures in your sig line. Any dude with a brain like that... you've got to be cooler then you think you are.

--------------------

~I was born of a voice untimely,
the so-called echo of a man's ordure~

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #4408454 - 07/15/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It's crazy someone else has experienced this.  This is something very personal that I used to have.

I grew up in a household that caused me to go into severe depression when I was a teenager.  I don't believe in medication, doctors, etc for such "ailments"...and was determined to work through it.  Many insults from my parents diminished my self esteem.  They aren't terrible people, but when they get angry, they'd go for the throat.  I remember not having many girlfriends in highschool and stuff and they'd use things like that against me in a war or words.

I never liked my voice either and thought it sounded kinda weird.  When I started smoking marijuana...it made it SO bad.  Like I felt like saying to my friends, "are you hearing the way I am talking"...but I was pretty sure it was all just in my head.  It sounded all high pitched, almost femenine.  It was so weird.  And anytime I smoked up, it never failed.  But I kept telling myself it was all in my head and smoked up everyday anyway.  It sure kept me pretty quiet though and I also withdrew.

Trip Report

Then come the night I totally got rid of it forever.  My first mushroom(first psychedelic experience) trip in the summer after I graduated.  4 dried grams, half in tea and half eaten.  20 minutes into it, nothing was happening.  My friend said we should go smoke some pot to maybe boost it.  As soon as I walked inside again...boom...it hit me hard.  I was totally tripping out.  Never in my life had I experienced anything SO weird(at the time).  I got right panicked and was stuck in a thought loop saying to my friend over and over again, "if anything happens, as long as I'm breathing, don't call parents/police".  And for the longest time, it didn't seem he was registering what I was saying, so I kept saying it over and over again.  Finally he was like, "I Got it okay!!"  Right then, my panic dissapeared.  hehe I remember saying, "alright then, lets trip now". hehe.  My voice all of a sudden started going out of control.  It was 10 times worse than any time before.  I sounded like a bloody woman.  And it was getting worse and worse and worse till the point it couldn't get any worse.  It happened in a span of like 3 minutes and I remember I just finally shut up and was just thinking "wtf?".  It really scared me at the time.  I cannot explain how my voice sounded.  But it got so bad, the mushrooms basically made me face my fear.  I think I had a lot of sexuality doubts maybe, low self esteem, lots of stuff.  And the mushroom put it all in my face!  I remember it as a constant theme the entire time.  I remember looking in a mirror and my face totally changed from masculine to femenine and I kept changing it back in forth with the whim of my mind. 

It was at that moment I realized that I had control over it.  It was purely only a thought that made me look and feel that way and if I willed it, I could make it go away.  The mushroom took all my self esteem issues and smacked me in the face with them.  With the entire trip was intense inner monologue.  I finally calmed down around the 4 hour mark and was at peace with myself in a way.  I remember sitting in the hot tub watching the sunrise and felt SOOO good.  It was like a 1000 pounds of emotional baggage had been lifted off my shoulders that night.

The next day I smoked some grass and my voice sounded completely normal...completely confident.  It has every day since.  It actually sounds more deeper to me than most people.  From that day on, I talk and feel confident.  I am totally in awe of the power of the mushroom.

Now, I'm not suggesting necessarily that you go trip your balls off.  But I'm sure, if you do trip, your issues will defenitely be brought to the surface.  I suggest against this idea though.

My best suggestion is to take up singing and an instrument(guitar?).  It will give you loads of self confidence being able to play and instrument and sing.  Start by playing by yourself and then eventually, you'll play in front of a friend or two...and it's only up from there  :smile:.  I guarantee it helps.  It helped me anyway  :heart:

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: Spooge]
    #4408786 - 07/15/05 07:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for your advice, man. i tripped last weekend at oregon country fair and think it helped me get over thigns a little, but not enough yet. thinking about eating an eigth or so by myself, not to trip and have a fun time but to meditate on these things that bother me.

sounds like you had the same problems that i'm experiencing. my voice gets kind of high pitched sometimes and sounds almost like i'm scared or extremely nervous.

and yeah i play guitar everyday and have been singing more. it definitely helps.

--------------------

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: mrsautoman]
    #4408792 - 07/15/05 07:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

KittenBreath said:
I have no advice for you.

I just wanted to say how much I like the juxtaposition of the pictures in your sig line. Any dude with a brain like that... you've got to be cooler then you think you are.

thank you. it's too bad i didn't paint or create any of them.. but it's still quite a montage i've got there.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #4409228 - 07/15/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They key is to speak from your belly and to speak in conjunction with your breathing. Prounounce everything fully. Don't peter out on any word you say. Don't rush what you say. Focus fully and say it.

If you do that, your voice will resonate and sound like it should. There's more specific advice I could give you, but I think you can figure things out from there. It's not hard, really. =) You don't have to sound perfect like an actor full of emotion. Just aim to have a full voice that is resolute so people understand what you're saying as you're saying it.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4409612 - 07/15/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have never heard you speak, but I am willing to bet the only thing you are lacking here is confidence. You need to build up confidence in yourself then you will relax and simply speak naturally. You are stopping yourself because you are afraid of what others think about you. Marijuana definitely does not help this, I never say a word when I smoke weed. Alcohol, otherwise known as liquid courage, seems to help a great deal when it comes to speaking your mind. People always used to comment about how open and funny I was when I would drink alcohol. That person was always inside of me, but normally I was too afraid to let it through. I would filter out all of my thoughts because I worried too much about what other people would think. If you dedicate yourself to weight lifting I guarantee your self esteem will benefit from it as much as your body. That was my cure.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#4410415 - 07/16/05 02:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The advice you're getting is quite nice.

Fake it until you make it!  Speak with confidence..hell, just say anything reasonable and speak it with authority for practice. Have fun with it! Say it with feeling and thought and you can't go wrong! Just be honest and don't abuse your newfound powers! :lol:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: my voice [Re: zorbman]
    #4410556 - 07/16/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i'll try that. thanks so much for all the advice, everyone.

i'm sure this is something i'll get over within a year or so, just like i did with the leg twitches and all my other aspects of paranoia.

--------------------

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #4410867 - 07/16/05 06:39 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

and yeah i play guitar everyday and have been singing more. it definitely helps

Slowly but surely, start playing a song your comfortable with in front of a friend or two.  It took awhile to get over this "hump".  Eventually, you realize how normal and how good you really sound, when your friends start inviting their friends, "hey you gotta come hear this guy play...he's awesome!".  So 1 friend turns into a group of 3...3 turns into a group of 6...and then one day you bring your guitar and amp over to a small party with like 15 people.  hehe I still kinda sweat when that happens...but I LOVE IT!!  :heart:

It really helps man..keep with it  :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being