Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLostMetropolis
A Stranger AmongStrangers

Loc: In The Machine
Heard a Voice
    #1940688 - 09/22/03 02:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Just a few minutes ago I was lying down in bed, unable to sleep after having been up all night, just lying and thinking and suddenly I heard a voice in my head. not my own. And I don't mean my conscience or any of the bullshit, I mean I actually heard the voice in my ear coming from my head. It basically sounded like a fucked up evil gremlin, and all it was was a laugh. Scared the shit out of me. I bolted up in my bed. At first I thought it was my sister outside my door, but when I went to look she was sound asleep, and I know it wasn't her because the laugh was internally based. It came from in my own head.

This is the first time I've heard a voice in my head, that was definitely not my own. There is schizophrenia in my family somewhere on my mother's side I believe. One of my aunts hears voices. The only other time I've heard voice was the one time I did acid, which was over 3 years ago. Haven't touched any psychedelics since. Haven't heard any voice since. Until now. As of now, I'm drug free (save for caffiene and nicotene), though I used to smoke pot on a daily basis, but it never did anything like this to me. I know I wasn't dreaming it for sure. The only other factor I can think of, is I recently started taking prozac, though I don't see how that would do anything.

Should I just forget about it, and wait to see if it happens again? I could do that, though it scared the shit out of me and I don't feel like repeating it. Or should I get it checked out immediately? I'm afraid if I saw a psychiatrist about it they would just blame it on my past drug use, despite the fact that none of it ever caused me to hear voices before. How the hell am I going to get to sleep now?

Some advice please?
Thanks
-LM

--------------------
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Edited by LostMetropolis (09/22/03 02:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Heard a Voice [Re: LostMetropolis]
    #1940711 - 09/22/03 02:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The thing about schizophrenia is people suffering from it generally believe themselves to be perfectly sane.

You were probably suffering from a lack of sleep, everyone has hallucinations at some point.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineLostMetropolis
A Stranger AmongStrangers

Loc: In The Machine
Re: Heard a Voice [Re: Phluck]
    #1940723 - 09/22/03 02:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah but I've stayed up for 4 days in a row before, saw all kinds of wierd shit and didn't once hear any voices in my ear like that.

--------------------
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1940764 - 09/22/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So?

This time you did.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1940770 - 09/22/03 03:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you try to hide from messages your head is creating you will not be successful - I say the worst thing you can do is try to forget about it and push it back in your head, but certainly don't dwell on it constantly either :wink:

ha that was probably no help at all but >continue<

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDava
journeyman
Loc: Belgium
Re: Heard a Voice [Re: Strumpling]
    #1940944 - 09/22/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm, i sometimes hear voices too.
I only hear them in the phase right before you fall asleep. That moment where your body has already shut off some senses and you are waiting till sleep kicks in, thats when i "hear" them, not very often though. So i dont think i ve anything to worry about.
Those voices are reproductions of voices i heard over the day.
I hear them in my head but they aren't my own, but they aren't saying anything reasonable or giving commands or so, mostly they just repeat a sentence what the real-person said on that day.
The first time i had them (about a year ago i think), i was freaked out, but now i dont see any harm in them.
I believe i m fairly sane :smile:

--------------------
"These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them..."
- Timothy Leary

Edited by Dava (09/22/03 03:54 PM)

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Heard a Voice *DELETED* [Re: Dava]
    #1941124 - 09/22/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Heard a Voice [Re: poke smot!]
    #1941912 - 09/22/03 08:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I sometimes hear voices. Its creepy. I often hear my mom calling me. I know that sounds creepy, and it scares the shit out of me. I know that feeling you get when you're just trying to sleep then something like that happenes, and you bolt up. Often when I'm lying in bed it feels like my heart stops or pinches itself somehow and I shoot up scared shitless. I've also seen some things while lying in bed at night, but I understand that happens to a lot of people. I've learnt to be less anxious and more relaxed so I don't seem to see shit anymore though. Oh and the only drugs I've doen are Shrooms, Pot, Nicotine, and Alcohol (recently Savlia too) so as you can see I'm not a hardcore drugee or anything.

In short I think all those things happen to most people.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Heard a Voice [Re: jarby]
    #1942468 - 09/22/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Very often do i think sometimes i hear a noise or a word, that startles me at first because im alone then just realize it was my imagination and forget about it.  Im perfectly sane :smile:

I think the worst thing you could probably do is worry about it. 

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #1942629 - 09/22/03 11:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i used to hear voices, whispers, parties, and other unexplained sounds. it was all probably from lack of sleep. i don't miss the lack of sleep, but i did like trying to decipher the sounds. i actually miss those unexplainable sounds.
if i were you, i wouldn't worry about the voice. get some sleep or just try to figure out what it was saying if you want. it can't hurt you in any way though.

"The only other factor I can think of, is I recently started taking prozac, though I don't see how that would do anything."

i would worry about this, though. that's bad stuff. it can easily cause auditory hallucinations, as well as much worse. it will fuck your head up. if you have any other alternative to prozac, go with it. for years, i couldn't sleep more than an average of 4 hours a night. some lame ass doctor decided i couldn't sleep because i was depressed. my parents and the doctor pretty much forced me to take prozac. i had no idea what it was and what it would do. it made me physically sick and just felt like it hollowed out my brain and life. the third week i had been taking it, my roommate and i were watching t.v. i was wide awake, but passed out and slipped into a hallucination. i saw the end of life on earth. to make a long story short, it started out as street fighting and progressed from there, climaxing with biological, chemical, and nuclear war. i was there, standing in the middle of it all, watching skin burn and melt off of people. i saw people die in every way imaginable and ways i wouldn't have thought imaginable. if you've ever seen the animated war parts of "the wall," imagine that times 1000. i thought i was really there. i jumped up out of the chair i was sitting in and thought i was screaming, but i wasn't. the room was dead silent. two hours had passed. the t.v. was off. my roommate was asleep on the couch. my heart was about to explode.

i had two more episodes like this and dumped the rest of my "medicine"
down the drain. that was the end of doctors and their prescriptions for me. i'm far better off for making that decision.

prozac will steal your personality, suck your mind dry, and deteriorate your soul and life in general.

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1
    #1942746 - 09/23/03 12:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Naw..it sounds like you were in a half asleep/almost dreaming stage. It's happened to me as well, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. :smile: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being