Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting?
    #4379164 - 07/07/05 11:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My friend has recently been doing lots of experiments with rye. Usually what he does is he fills up a quart jar with EXACTLY (measured on a digital scale) 250g of rye and adds 275ml water, PC's for an hour and a half. He uses either magash/scatman style tyvek lids or polyfill lid filters, and then cases 1qt per casing with 60/40 verm coir. My friend has ok contam rates on his spawn, and hasn't lost 1 casing yet... but none of his casings ever fruit out well. He has had two that have completed their life cycle, they formed maybe 10 or 20 aborts each that got about a half inch then stopped....

I have been looking at people who grow directly off rye, like scatmanrav and magash and they both get great fruits off their grain, and boil it to prep... could it be that one step cooked rye is insufficient for fruiting off of? Anyone else prep their grain this way and have similar results when fruiting? I told my friend not to be a jackass and try the other way, so he finally gave in but his jars aren't done yet, so he was wondering if anyone else had had this experience.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting? [Re: lemunhed]
    #4379306 - 07/07/05 12:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The jars need to be shaken well when they come out of the pc if you do not soak/simmer before hand. The only other factor could be that you have grain which is heavy in endospores, which will require soaking to germinate most of them. This also speeds sterilisation since the dry cavities of the rye are filled so the heat transfers to the centre of the grain faster. Though the grain is colonised there maybe some nasties surviving, your grain may be fighting them off so they are not visible but are hampering the grow.
I would suggest soaking your next grain in your measured water overnight. Probably best to soak it in excess and drain it off and then add fresh water, since you have a scales you don't have to worry about how much it absorbed, make sure you note the weight of the jar beforehand.

Or else your fruiting setup/technique is simply not up to scratch.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting? [Re: blackout]
    #4379403 - 07/07/05 12:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you dont put enough water in there, then you wont have enough water in there...thats probably your problem. I'd also think about adding 20% verm to your jars, either during prep before PCing or when you case (add sterilized moist verm mixed in). I found that just soaking was never enough for rye, though it would colonize..so I soaked and simmered and it works great. My rye swells to about 3 times its size after soaking and simmering and adding a little verm..thats lots of water for fruiting. Then a nice 3/4" casing layer on top.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4379435 - 07/07/05 01:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do you simmer with the verm in there already? Or is the verm added post simmering? Also, you would want to sterilize it with the verm in there, right?

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting? [Re: Kalix]
    #4379608 - 07/07/05 02:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Verm is added post simmering...check my link on grains for more info..its added while the grain is draining though and sucks up moisture from the grains. Only takes me about 20 minutes to fully drain and get the seed to the right content and load up 20 jars (after finishing simmering that is).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: One step rye cooking, amazing but doesnt work for fruiting? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4380911 - 07/07/05 07:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Scatman: thx for your advice, I have so far followed it to a T. I told my dumb friend to cook up 7 jars of rye that he soaked for 12 hours (his shits organic and germinates really fast so he can't soak for 24), then simmer till he sees burst kernels and add some quarts of dry verm into it. He's got the 7 jars knocked up and should be able to see first signs of growth tomorrow... he'll let you know how it works out.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation