Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
few questions about rye, syringes, and fruiting
    #563207 - 02/25/02 11:51 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

figure i might posibly get these questions answered in one post

1. When steeping rye to get the correct moisture content, is it ok to have exploded kernals? i steeped for 45 min but i feel like too many exploded. This normal?

2. When casing a quart jar in the jar itself, am I too expect bigger more robust fruits due to the substrate layer being so thick? The thicker the substrate the better right? would one get less out of a quart jar of rye when casing IN the jar compared to casing in a tray?

3. I made a few syringes the last few days. Every syringe I have mad or bought has had some clumps of spores and or noticable spores floating in it. The syringes i made today were different. I scraped the spores in a shot glass then gently squirted about 4cc of water from the syringe in it, they acted like oil and water, the spores turned to like a oily stain floating in water. ya with me? I hope you understand what i mean. As i pulled all the spore water in the syringe I could not see nothing at all, this should have been one dark syringe! I need to know if i should toss this syringe, guess i could find out for myself. Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: few questions about rye, syringes, and fruiting [Re: pleezr]
    #563320 - 02/26/02 01:53 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

1. No, there should be hardly exploded kernels. The steeping time or temperature were out of order.
3. This is normal.

InvisibleRichard_Simmons
Stranger

#563532 - 02/26/02 07:58 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I know exactly what you mean about the syringes. Some look like there's pepper floating around and other times the spores just dissolve into nothingness. I have found that the spores that dissolve and become invisible actually colonize faster. I think they are much better spread out.

--------------------
"Don't eat that"

OfflineULT
Loc: U.S.
    #563552 - 02/26/02 08:27 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have about 10-15% rye explode as well but never encountered any problems. What I do is bring water to hard boil befor adding rye. Then I reduce to a very low simmer for 45 minutes. There seems to be less explosions that way.

I also use quart jars but I crumble the rys into a aluminum baking dish then case. Never had any probs.

Syringes seem fine.

Gook Luck

OfflineMaddoc
Resurrected!
Male
Loc: London, UK, Basel, CH or ...
    #563913 - 02/26/02 03:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Casing within the Quart jar itself is a VERY old method from the old OSS and OERIC book.

It is an obsolete method, and having a thicker rye layer does not mean greater fruitings. It is much better to case in another opaque container to avoid pin formation underneath the casing layer.

I dont know why people steep rye grain, I dont believe it to be necessary, 1 cup rye, 200ml (short of 1 cup) water, in jar, seal, PC for 1 hour, done. No need to steep, drain, fill jar etc. I just find it easier.

When making syringes, I quickly stir the water with spore in it within the shot glass with the needle tip to created a black spore suspension. However, not seeing spores doesnt mean their not there. It may be necsessary to suck up/squirt out the water into the shot glass several times.

--------------------
"Your Gimmiky Restraunt - By J.R. Bennigans"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate