Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemickeymicmic
word

first syringe and substrate making attempt
    #4370516 - 07/05/05 12:05 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have dual purpose in posting this, the first being that I am curious if what I did will work, the second was just to thank everyone.
After reading about a million teks and posts on this site i decided to go for what seemed like the best idea for a beginner and started the PF tek. As it turns out, spores are difficult to come by for me...but I wanted to thank FSRE for giving me an amazing print of cambo. Hopefully cambo is supposed to be black spores, because this print was super think. I was told to scrape about 1/5 of it into a sterile shot glass, but before even touching it with the syringe the shot glass had a think blackish powder at the bottom, and when i filled the syringe, the water was almost black itself. spore mania. so hopefully i did that with enough cleanliness not to blow the whole thing.
I then filled the jars with substrate and such following the PF tek and closely as possible and debated about how to sterilize them because i dont own a PC. I ended up putting about 9 jars(seperate groups) with their lids on upside down and loose, with tin foil over top into a pot, filling it with water to about 1/4 - 1/2 of the jar's height and boiling it for at least 20 minutes. I know this probably wasnt quite enough, but I wasnt expecting 100% success for my first try anyway, more of just a run through. So now I have my substrate jars and my spore syringe and tommorow is Innoc day, just wanted to say thanks to all who helped me, especially Roadkill and FSRE and I will let you know how my first attempt turns out. And to end it all as a newbie, I have a single question: Since my syringe is almost black water, do I need to use as much as the teks suggest when innocing the jars or should i just use about 1/4 of a cc?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first syringe and substrate making attempt [Re: mickeymicmic]
    #4370558 - 07/05/05 12:17 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If I were you, I'd still use 1 CC per jar. Actually, if I were you I'd probably redo the jars,lol.

You PC jars for 45 minutes and you only boiled for 20. Wouldn't place a lot of trust in those.

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: first syringe and substrate making attempt [Re: HippieChick]
    #4370921 - 07/05/05 02:27 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

the thing is that i dont place a lot of trust in them really, but like i said I wanted to get an idea of how exactly to do this, its mostly a run through with a little optimism on some return. I plan on buying a pressure cooker when i go back to school in september, the working conditions would be much more favorable then, I just didnt want to wait that long to try.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4370983 - 07/05/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

To expect failure on your first try is good.  That way you don't get yourself disappointed.

However, it sounds like you did everything right EXCEPT for the amount of time you boiled like HippieChick stated.  The main problem with this is you are not really sterilizing the jars contents.  Not sterilizing them will just ask for failure for shure in this hobbie.

It sounds like you don't want to waste the spores, but yet you skimped on the easiest part, which may be the most important part.- IMHO.  In which may cause you...failure.

But who knows, maybe you will get lucky. 

In either case...Good Luck man :thumbup:

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: first syringe and substrate making attempt [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4370990 - 07/05/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the help guys, but i have one final question before i really start this inoculation. its not exactly convenient for me to boil something for an hour or two, but what if I put seran wrap on the jars with the substrate in it and then nuked it for about 5 mins, would that sterilize it, or even work for that matter? seran wrap could be replaced with like a plastic lid or something of course.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4371007 - 07/05/05 03:01 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've heard of some who have tried doing jars in the microwave, with varying results. Not sure how to tell you to attempt it. I would really think that only boiling for 20 minutes, your chances aren't good.

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: first syringe and substrate making attempt [Re: HippieChick]
    #4371015 - 07/05/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't tried it, but check out this post that agar made a while ago.

It involves making PF cakes in the microwave without using a PC OR Boiling.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4221218#Post4221218

Offlinemickeymicmic
word

Re: first syringe and substrate making attempt [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4371038 - 07/05/05 03:16 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

thanks a lot for your help again guys, i had to read half the thread before i found out what he did, lol, but it seems like something i should try, maybe slightly modified.

ya i decided tommorow im gonna buy some coffee filters and rubberband two on top of my half pint jars with the substrate in them, place a sauser or something on top as he suggested, nuke the crap out of it 3 or 4 times, then put some foil over the filters just to make sure no curious contams make it inside and go from there, does that seem reasonable?

also wanted to add, i just tried nuking for 2.5 minutes with ceran wrap and a plate on top, at about 2 minutes steam found an escape on the sides, so a rubber band should stop that, but otherwise seemed quite successful. only thing id do differently is add the rubberband, 2 layers of ceran wrap, and place lysol sprayed foil on it over the ceran wrap after its done cooking just to be sure its without leaks after the nuke. a bonus is that the ceran wrap kind of forms to the surface without breaking, making an extra layer of safety. will try this method with two jars to experiment.

Edited by mickeymicmic (07/05/05 04:05 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation