Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pink Floyd, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Syringe Making Question
    #402568 - 09/24/01 03:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys

My friends cat just made his first attempt at making a spore syinge.

To sterilize, he doused the inside of the jar (lid included) with rubbing alcohol, let most of it evaporate, then wiped the rest off with a paper towel. Is this clean enough? The jar was kept closed as much as possible and the room was sprayed with lysol.

We clipped the cap off with a pair alcohol-soaked scissors, then TRIED to put a pin through the cap so we could carry it without holding it. That failed, and herein lies my question

The cap slpped and fell into his hands, which had been doused with alcohol, then SPLIT in half once he put it inside the jar (This was a HUGE cap.) So, one half of the cap fell perfectly face down ready to drop spores, the other landed with the gills up. My cat used his paws (which had been cleaned with alcy too) to flip the cap over.

The kitty usually uses honey water, not direct spore injection, which may factor into the necessity of a perfectly clean spore syringe. Do you think the cap splitting, with one half landing the wrong way, pose a problem?

Thanks guys
Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLarrythescaryrexS
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: Syringe Making Question [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #402794 - 09/24/01 06:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

methinks your fucked

larry

I'm only a man
In a silly red sheet
digging for kyptonite on this one way street

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Syringe Making Question [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #402851 - 09/24/01 07:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Doesnt sound too great. Next time take a print onto tinfoil and then use a clean syringe needle to scrape the spores into a jar or other transfer container. Then, squirt out some water and suck it back up.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Offlinethe phantom
    #403144 - 09/25/01 12:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you did get spores,then you may as well try them out.When I was useing jars and cakes I dropped a few caps on rugs and kitchen\bathroom floors but quickly picked them up and put them in a jar.If you want to see if you have a chance at all then don't mix up 12-24 jars but only mix up 6-8 and make sure you keep them in total darkness when incubateing them.Always keep the box that the jars come in so you can put them back in during this period.After innoculateing them place the box on a shelf in(like somewhere in your closet) with a 18-24" light on under it or a heating pad for about 12- 24 hours.After about 3-5 days you should see growths......now what kind is going to vary.But if you don't mess with them and keep them in total darkness and don't warm them after growths apear,you may even have one good jar.Dont case or crumble since you would be lucky to have made it this far with a questionable spore print.even with one cake you may get a few decient specimens that you can get better prints from.And if this is all you have to work with rather than waiting for a few more weeks from a supplier ,then hell you might as well try it.Just next time make sure you do this over a clean shelf or table & try holding it by the stem up side down with the cap at the opening of the jar and with wide steril razor blade (like the kind you would use in a scraper) gently "saw" it off and let it drop.Place the lid on and tighten,then you should be able to gently giggle and tap it back to right side up.If you don't try it you'll never know.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #403145 - 09/25/01 12:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

absolutly for sure, wipeing off the inside of the jar with a paper towel recontaminated the jar.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Syringe Making Question [Re: tchyted]
    #403163 - 09/25/01 01:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanx for the input guys. If you saw these EQ's, you'd understand why getting a print is important. The largest is > 8" long, my first casing attempt with 1.5 cakes was a huge success...suckers stain blue after cutting them while you watch, takes about 15 seconds for them to get almost black.

Anyways, took a paper plate with a piece of aluminum foil on it. Cleaned the foil with rubbing alcohol and set it close to the terrarium. Dipped (in alcohol) and flamed a pair of scissors, where I cut the cap off as close as I could get it. Used the scissors (with the cap resting on them) to quickly transfer the cap onto the foil, then covered with a upside down half pint that had been rubbed down with alcohol. The cap was never facing up, and the vents in the room were closed so hopefully almost nothing fell on the foil. Hopefully this will work better than the completely enclosed jar method, sound reasonable?

After decent success with rice cakes last year, it may be time to move to the next level and case. The results are hard to argue with, and had no sterility problems (covered with seran wrap until the fruit tried to bust through.) I'm in no rush, taking a break from tripping for a few months, so I have no problem taking my time with a few good casings. So far just verm casing has rocked my world, but it's getting hard to find so it may be time for some jiffy mix. Are the results that much different to justify higher contamination risk?

Thanks guys
Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #403276 - 09/25/01 03:57 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ff,
i personally use jiffy mix and i can tell you, jiffy mix alone cant withstand the weight of the mushroomz, i mix it w/verm in a 50/50 ratio. the verm holds pretty well, so good luck,.....verm. IS getting harder to find.....
oh yeah, & 1 more thing.....if you pasturize the casing material for 2 hrs. you wont see ANY contams.

~fortyounces2freedom~ & ~disconnectedhaze~

get all your supplies AND spores at a discount price!!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.shroomery.org/bluethumb/>CLICK HERE!!!</a>

Edited by fortyounces2freedom on 09/25/01 02:59 AM.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pink Floyd, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation