Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!!
    #4332491 - 06/24/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was hoping to do a growlog of this yosterizzi strain. I was very impressed with it's performance in all feilds.....until I fruited it!

It has been aborting like mad . Pins form and then quickly abort after two or three days. Hopefully this is just a first-flush type thing and that maybe it'll even out later. It sucks beacue I invested over 3 gallons of pure organic rye grain into these two casings.

The yosterizzi is a magnificent colonizer-fast and very aggressive. So aggressive that obtaining an even pinset was challenging for an experience grower. Pinset was quick-less than one week-and prolific too. After the thrid or fourth day, pins began to bruise beneath the cap and mycelium began to grow on the stipes from bottom up-both a sign of a dead shroom. The mycelium is so aggressive that it overtook a few fruits overnight!

Anyway, here are some pics from yesterday and this morning.........

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
enthusiast

Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #4332499 - 06/24/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

These pics are from last night:

Even pinset:

Bruising beneath the cap:

Sorry about the low quality pics. It gets better.

--------------------

Edited by KlingonFromUranus (06/24/05 01:03 PM)

enthusiast

#4332526 - 06/24/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here are some from this morning:

Pinset:

Fuzzy mycelium on aborts:

First Flush pins with fuzzy myc:

--------------------

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4332843 - 06/24/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't be so quick to call those aborts....mycellium will grow up a perfectly healthy shroom. Just wait it out, even if they are aborts they're still good.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4332933 - 06/24/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What makes you think they are aborts? They look like they are growing perfectly well...

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: Quiescence]
    #4332958 - 06/24/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yup, gotta agree with the others, not aborts. myc will do that, never seen it to the degree that some of those have. what is the rh at in your chamber?
peace

enthusiast

Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4332999 - 06/24/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
I wouldn't be so quick to call those aborts....mycellium will grow up a perfectly healthy shroom.

Negative. Mycleium will grow on the bottom of a healthy shroom. Very thick myc growth that overtakes the fruit is an indicator that the fruit is dead and is trying to be broken down and colonized by the mycelium.

Trust me everyone. I agree that these pics don't show the bruising very well at all. If you could see the casing UP CLOSE, you will notice that almost all the pins are bruising beneath the cap on the stipe. The turn darker and darker. Some of the pins that were only slightly bruised beneath the cap yeaterday are full on turning MUSHY. A slight pressure and the cap slides right off in a gooey mess. They are definitely aborts....

--------------------

enthusiast

#4333014 - 06/24/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Look at the third fourth and fifth pic from the bottom and you will see a dark bruising ring around the stipe just beneath the cap. That is an abort.

It's only getting worse too.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of pulling the first flush and re-casing. Hopefully the next flush will have less. I've heard some strains tend to abrt alot on the first flush.........

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4333035 - 06/24/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

can you post a link to this info, i would really like to read this info you are saying about aborts? not saying you don't know what you are talking about, i know i don't have a clue as to what you are trying to say.
peace

enthusiast

Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: backupwards]
    #4333240 - 06/24/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi. Have you ever noticed that sometimes a cluster of mushies will have one large, open cap ready to be picked while the rest of the cluster is still a few days out from being mature? Have you noticed that when you remove the cap (to print) from that one mature fruit and leave the capless stem intact on the cluster, that within a few days the one capless stem will start to have thick mycelium growing on it from the bottom to the top while the other mushrooms in that cluster are still normal? Or when sometimes if you leave an aborted fruit in the casing layer that mycelium will start over-running the whole fruit, cap and all?

This is what i'm talking about. The mycelium senses the dead fruit as being dead material and starts to overgrow it, stem, cap and all. This is a common occurance. If you leave a dead immature fruit that hasn't opened and sporulated on the casing layer intact you will see that in a few days it will begin to change darker in color and become fuzzy with white mycelium.

Anyone who has left a cap in the printing chamber a day or two too long knows what I'm talking about. If left in a sealed, humid environment, the cap will begin to grow little white tufts of myclelium from it's cap! This is not mold!-but mycelium probably trying to branch out.

As far as my experience, I have been around this block many times already. I was growing for hobby long before I started posting here at the shroomery. I don't have a ton of posts, but that doesn't mean I'm some newbie. People on the boards who know me will tell you this.

A few pics....

Just a few of my pics........... :wink:

Edited by KlingonFromUranus (06/24/05 04:34 PM)

enthusiast

#4333278 - 06/24/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

In all of my pics you can see examples of healthy mushies. I think I should know what a healthy mush should look like by now :grin:

If you look carefully you will see that there is little or no myc growth on the stem and when there is it is only at the bottom and not super thick.

The only time I have seen this thick myc growth that I am talking about (in my pics from my second post) is from when the mushies have died by either harvesting of a mature cap for printing the stem left attached for a few days to a cluster that was not yet ready to be pulled, an abort, a cap or fruit that was harvested and left in a seadled and humid condition for too long like growing or printing chamber, etc etc etc.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4333308 - 06/24/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hey man i never said anything to the contrary about you being a newb, and yes i agree with you that you can't judge a person on the amount of post they have. i was just interested in reading anything you may have known about on this phenomenon that you are trying to explain. have never had this kind of experience unless the rh has been way too high. so do you know of any links that may have something on this? i just like to read all kinds of shit about shrooms.
peace

enthusiast

Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: backupwards]
    #4333338 - 06/24/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No not offhand bro. I've never seen this addressed as most people won't encounter this, sice they usually harvest their shrooms before letting them die. Most people harvest for fruits and pick either as a closed cap or when the cap is open and sporulating. Therefore most grow teks and web pages will only have info relating to this type of growing (for maximum potency or size/weight), i.e. growing for fruit. Most people may never see this since most will harvest their fruit longer before it is allowed to die....

I on the other hand harvest mainly for spores/prints so sometimes it is necessary for me to leave a dead stipe intact for the sake of the rest of the cluster. Also since I'm into the prints, I have forgotten and left caps in the printing chanber a day or two too long more than a couple times. :blush: :grin:

You are right. A high RH will cause myc to grow on the base of the stipe but this is only on the portion closest to the casing layer. It is not thick and gets thinner the farther up the stem you go. The kind I'm talking about is when the myc is very thick and fuzzy and grows away from the base, sometimes almost all the way up the shroom. Sometimes even from the cap! :shocked:

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was getting on you. That was not my intention at all. I was just trying to let y'all know that I've been around this block and speak from experience. Sometimes people unfairly judge you on your post count or how much regurgitated knowledge one can blurt out and don't realize the experience behind the person or that experience is the greatest techer!

--------------------

Edited by KlingonFromUranus (06/24/05 05:06 PM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4333427 - 06/24/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KlingonFromUranus said:

As far as my experience, I have been around this block many times already. I was growing for hobby long before I started posting here at the shroomery. I don't have a ton of posts, but that doesn't mean I'm some newbie. People on the boards who know me will tell you this.

:rolleyes:

Lets look at your first post here at the shroomery.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1520328#Post1520328

:smirk:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: Roadkill]
    #4333471 - 06/24/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

KlingonFromUranus said:

thanks for that bit of info rk.  :rolleyes:

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4333519 - 06/24/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Geeze. Every time I see the name "Yosterizzi", alarms and whistles go off.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: Holydiver]
    #4334132 - 06/24/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have the same bells ringing wen I hear it as well

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Yosterizzi Strain Aborting like MAD!! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4335365 - 06/25/05 08:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I have the same bells ringing wen I hear it as well

Hehehe... me too, but...

I did receive almost 50 of those prints (most of them sent out already) So...
For the sake of the strain, it's nice to get some feedback on it, sorta like getting feedback on a couple other strains from the same source. Strains like Keeper Creeper, Blue Meanies and "Z".

I'm pretty sure the Yosterizzi strain is going to fade into obscurity very soon because the results have been teribly poor. So far Kingon is the first one I've seen to actually get ANY decent fruit from this strain.

Klingon - Judging from your pix you posted, I would guess your humidity might be too high. High humidity is great for cakes, but with casings, a too high humidity will cause different effects in different strain.

For example.
Strains that have very agressive mycellium, like Puerto Rican, Argentina, Queson and Yosterizzi, to name a few, can develop that Fuzzy mycellium at the base and on the cap.
Strains like the Allen Strain, Mestizo, and the Pans, will not delelop well and hold tons of extra moisure in the fruit making them feel "Soggy" if the humidity is too high.

enthusiast

#4336202 - 06/25/05 02:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

KlingonFromUranus said:

Yeah dude you certainly got me! lol yeah right.

First of all this account was originally started by my younger brother who posted on here before I did under a different handle (hint: "PO" was the first letters of his old name) and started this handle in order to start with a clean slate. People who traded with him sent their prints to San Fran and later to NY because he was and still is a college student. I have the same address in S. Cal the whole time. He is 22. I am already 27. For some reason people black balled him under the old handle and he started this one. He began posting under the handle and then wanted to change his handle again cause he thought this one was stupid. Instead of just dumping it I asked him if I could have it since it already had a decent post count.

As for HIM fruiting HIS cakes, he got all his supplies and spores, jars, syr, from me! He saw me do it when he was younger and after leaving to college wanted to try it for himself. I first tried my hand at doing cakes in high school in the early to mid 90's and then stopped when I left to college the first year in 1996. I got my first kit out of the back of a High Times mail order ad in 1992 or 93 or so and had it sent to a cousin in a different state. I had older friends that were already doing this as hobby too and traded spores with them as I got better and better. I bought my first prints from Pacific Exotic Spora in the back of a High Times or some other mag mail order ad.

I started up again a year later with casings. You see, the KlingonFU name is not just one person. It is 3! Originally my brother, than me, and sometimes my fiance posts under my handle.

The most interesting part is that of coarse RK already knows most of this story since my brother used to talk to him under his old handle (aka "PO") through pms and such and even traded some of my cambodian spores with him a few years back. The very same cambo that is is my avatar. PO tells me that RK was one of his confidants who told him just to change his name rather than continuing to post under his old name. Changing the name was a clean slate I guess.

Does any of that sound fimiliar to you RK? Of coarse not! At least that is what I'm sure you will say. But I'm sure you have an idea of what I'm talking about though. If you're interested I can get more detailed later on but I just anticipate you denying knlowlege of what I'm talking about.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4336297 - 06/25/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

KlingonFromUranus said:

Ahhhh HAHAaHahaHAhaAhAha :rotfl: :rotfl:

-Gnostic

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds